Reed Elsevier Group

www.reedelsevier.com

Reed Elsevier Group Reviews in Dayton, OH

Updated Mar 6, 2014
Reed Elsevier Group – Amsterdam – “Reed Elsevier Headquarters”

Reed Elsevier Group CEO and Director; CEO, Reed Elsevier PLC, Reed Elsevier NV, Elsevier Division Erik Engstrom

Erik Engstrom

Pros
  • ownership, freedom to work compared to other competition companies,work life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits and company supported initiatives(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication between senior management and the its' reporting teams is not always optimal(in 6 reviews)

• Poor strategy and execution of off shoring and outsourcing leads to loss of talent, poorer customer service and inefficiency(in 4 reviews)

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good employer given the limit of the Dayton job market

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsThey offer good benefits and (for my profession) very good compensation based on geographical location. Leadership within my group was good.

ConsOverall company leadership was lacking. They fail to adequately value their employees. Perhaps this is just how it is with Big Business, but moral consistently dropped over the course of my 7.5 years there.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your people.

I worked in Reed Elsevier Technology Services for a little over two years.

Engineer (Former Employee) Miamisburg, OH

ProsCurrent technologies, great co-workers, decent benefits.

ConsThe use of mass layoffs to improve the bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementControl the corporate rumor mill, most employees knew layoffs were coming weeks in advance.

Work Experience

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsThe work is really stress free and the people you work are very helpful since the average tenure is about 15 years and so they have lots of info to share.

ConsThere are occasional layoff seasons and I've seen two seasons in my 1 years working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more young and innovative employees to build in house products as opposed to buying licenses and software that can be replaced with open source products.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok place to work

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsNot a bad place to work and benefits are good.

Consnot many and overall good place to work

Good benefits and opportunities to advance

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsThe people are dedicated and committed to excellence
    The bonus packages and pension plans are good, better than many of my friend's packages who work for different companies
    Diverse businesses present unique advancement opportunities

ConsPoor communication lends itself to an atmosphere where rumors are rampant
    Difficult to break into executive management internally
    Lack of cohesiveness across affiliates

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to bring affiliates together to share learnings and best practices.
    Periodically share corporate strategy and vision to ensure the employees on the front line have a clear idea of where we're going at a corporate level and not just within their divisions.

Good people with good opportunities for growth

Program Manager (Current Employee) Miamisburg, OH

ProsGood people with good opportunities for growth

ConsNot interested in products we produce

Advice to Senior Managementuse more incentive based pay at lower levels

EDIT was great, now it is a shell of what it once was.

Consulting Software Engineer (Current Employee) Miamisburg, OH

ProsBecause you can't find a better job, because the economy is so bad that you would rather risk pending layoffs than work fast food. Because you like creating designs for work being outsourced. Because you are afraid to do better

ConsAll of the real work is done in India

Advice to Senior ManagementTell the truth, don't spin. Employees are not as blind as you think.

Uninspired senior managment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsGreat co-workers, until they left for better places to work

ConsManagement is so unknowledgeable about the business that they constantly hire outside consultants to tell them what to do. We've seen every one you can name. Bain, McKenzie, Monitor, PWC, and others. They even had an initiative one year on "Innovation." And of course, Crispin Davis hired an outside consulting firm and paid them millions of dollars to run an "innovation" program. Be innovative, or else!!! In that program, of the ideas that "won," and were therefore funded, none ever came to anything. The one I was most aware of was quietly killed after about two years, having achieved absolutely none of its objectives and having cost a ton of money. OF COURSE all this was funded by cutting programs for normal everyday business. True innovation, either by ongoing improvement, or leapfrog ideas, is smothered, because management doesn't trust people with ideas. They only trust people with MBAs from a specific handful of business schools and then only if they have had work experience with-- you guessed it, those consulting firms.

The senior management of Reed Elsevier Group doesn't know enough about the companies in the group to be able to assess the decision-making and leadership of the management teams for the divisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementCrispin Davis is being replaced. To the new guy I say: look very very carefully at what is going on, especially in the United States. Read all the reviews on Glassdoor.com about all the RE companies. There is a lot of concern and complaints about outsourcing, but even putting that issue aside, you need to be aware that the management of these companies is abysmal. Oh, and by the way, all that outsourcing? Check into whether the cost savings are really there over the long term. And further, what will be the ultimate incremental cost if you try to repair the significant loss in quality (a concern which is being brushed aside, as the message gets massaged at each level as it goes up the management chain).

Reed Elsevier's clueless management

Consulting Software Engineer (Current Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsGreat salary. Very smart and experienced people.

ConsComplete lack of substantive communication from senior management. They communicate, but we have no clue why they do what they do.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell us when the layoffs will stop. Tell us what the overall strategy is.

Unsure about future

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsGood location, decent facility. Employees generally able to balance work & home life.

ConsLimited career path. Outsourcing / offshoring will probably continue. Other IT career opportunities in Dayton are limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven a reasonably intelligent person can detect BS so don't give it to us.

Worked for Reed Elsevier Group? Contribute to the Community!