Reed Elsevier Group Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014

3.3

Reed Elsevier Group CEO and Director; CEO, Reed Elsevier PLC, Reed Elsevier NV, Elsevier Division Erik Engstrom
Erik Engstrom

Pros
  • ownership, freedom to work compared to other competition companies,work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits and company supported initiatives (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication between senior management and the its' reporting teams is not always optimal (in 6 reviews)

• Poor strategy and execution of off shoring and outsourcing leads to loss of talent, poorer customer service and inefficiency (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Neutral - Daily Routine Job

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Voluntarily attend more training sessions for your personal development.
    Transportation facilities.

Cons

Missing domain expert leadership of missing management group.

Fear is how most of us live daily!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits and some perks

Cons

Management that is so out of touch with reality and more important, it's employees. People stay for their paycheck and lack of options.
    Constant daily changes with no regard of what employees already do, and they never consult those who do the job to see if even feasible.
    Lower level employees are held accountable for all management decisions. Management is never held accountable.
    If you disagree you're fired.
    No internal advancement, they only load up staff with no opinion staffers.
    No women to upper management. Men rule at all levels.

Wake up! Morale is in the toilet and after all these years I repairable. Don't know anyone, and I've been here 10+ years likes where they work, or would ever speak up because of daily fear drilled into us.
    I'd say listen to your employees....but trust factor left long ago, as was respect.
    Practice your own company values!

Poor comminication and decisions from Senior managemnt

Former Employee - Windows Systems Administrator L3  in  Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Windows Systems Administrator L3 in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Salary was OK if you worked overtime. Team I worked in was good and we were able to attend some training.

Cons

Bad decisions and complete lack of communication from senior management. So poor that the directors outsourced devisions to an Indian company. No thought of employee welfare what so ever.

N/A

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Uninspired senior managment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Great co-workers, until they left for better places to work

Cons

Management is so unknowledgeable about the business that they constantly hire outside consultants to tell them what to do. We've seen every one you can name. Bain, McKenzie, Monitor, PWC, and others. They even had an initiative one year on "Innovation." And of course, Crispin Davis hired an outside consulting firm and paid them millions of dollars to run an "innovation" program. Be innovative, or else!!! In that program, of the ideas that "won," and were therefore funded, none ever came to anything. The one I was most aware of was quietly killed after about two years, having achieved absolutely none of its objectives and having cost a ton of money. OF COURSE all this was funded by cutting programs for normal everyday business. True innovation, either by ongoing improvement, or leapfrog ideas, is smothered, because management doesn't trust people with ideas. They only trust people with MBAs from a specific handful of business schools and then only if they have had work experience with-- you guessed it, those consulting firms.

The senior management of Reed Elsevier Group doesn't know enough about the companies in the group to be able to assess the decision-making and leadership of the management teams for the divisions.

Crispin Davis is being replaced. To the new guy I say: look very very carefully at what is going on, especially in the United States. Read all the reviews on Glassdoor.com about all the RE companies. There is a lot of concern and complaints about outsourcing, but even putting that issue aside, you need to be aware that the management of these companies is abysmal. Oh, and by the way, all that outsourcing? Check into whether the cost savings are really there over the long term. And further, what will be the ultimate incremental cost if you try to repair the significant loss in quality (a concern which is being brushed aside, as the message gets massaged at each level as it goes up the management chain).

A Dead end for it staff in the UK

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

"an excellent starting package with pension and medical.

Cons

The IT division RETS (reed Elsevier technology services) is almost all run from the US so the UK is treated like a poor offshoot, poor training if any causing a general de skilling of UK IT staff over time, no bonuses, a 3% cap on pay rises although 2% in more common, a promotion path that is totally unworkable leaving people undervalued.

managerial change is the norm and I personally have had 7 managers in the last 5 years, everyone knows they will be sacrificed for the bottom line regardless as to there use to the company often leading to huge gaps that need to be filled quickly, this reactive approach is not dynamic but flawed as the upper management have no technical understanding yet force decisions that later often prove to be expensive and incorrect, don't work here in the UK if you want management to respect or listen to you.

I worked in Reed Elsevier Technology Services for a little over two years.

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Miamisburg, OH
    Former Employee - Engineer in Miamisburg, OH

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Current technologies, great co-workers, decent benefits.

Cons

The use of mass layoffs to improve the bottom line.

Control the corporate rumor mill, most employees knew layoffs were coming weeks in advance.

Incredibly challenging but not without its rewards

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people.
    Most of the people I dealt with whether they be part of the shared services group, business controllers and finance teams of both the US and UK business divisions or even the AsiaPac team..all of them are incredibly knowledgeable and open to collaboration.

Cons

Unfortunately in 2013 there has been significant RIF(s) in the US in the operational and SS areas (not sure about what is going on in the UK) A good chunk of that talent has been taken away; the people that are left are being stretched to increase output without additional resources or improved infrastructure. Communication between senior management and the its' reporting teams is not always optimal.

A difficult place to work

Current Employee - Consulting Systems Engineer  in  Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consulting Systems Engineer in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Interesting location and some nice people work there.

Cons

I worked in the RETS area. It's over-siloed, over out-sourced and good communication between teams is difficult. the on boarding process is fatally flawed. The net result is that it is very difficult to understand how to do your job. There's too much process and very little procedure. They try to do things the ITIL way and fail miserably in my opinion.

Forget about having a separate IT service department and integrate IT with the business areas.

There has been better times

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work with some excellent peers in my group and others, challenging work, with fair compensation.

Cons

Recent re-orgs an

Albany office will be closing, while i expect to be able to continue a HBE, the impact to people I've been working with for years and to the city, where Matthew Bender has had a historical precence is challenging.

Communication, current organization is not well defined or understood.

Be prepared to work on your own if you are an Intern

Current Employee - Intern Product Management  in  Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - Intern Product Management in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Facilities, good IT department, international atmosphere and welcoming people. Good possibilities to enter an International career in Publishing Bizz.
    Elsevier offers you international experience and looks great on your resume. I had some mixed experience with the company but with the right team and structure you would probably learn a lot.

Cons

MATRIX fixed company, not suitable for Interns with low academic background. Be more than just pro active, because their might not be any guarantee for you to have a plan.
    The HR department is not flexible so be sure you have a very clear (written) contract before you begin, to the details about what you are obligated to!

Worked for Reed Elsevier Group? Contribute to the Community!