Reed Elsevier Group

www.reedelsevier.com

Reed Elsevier Group Reviews

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015

Reed Elsevier Group CEO and Director; CEO, Reed Elsevier PLC, Reed Elsevier NV, Elsevier Division Erik Engstrom
Erik Engstrom

Pros
  • ownership, freedom to work compared to other competition companies,work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Excellent benefits package, including time off for volunteer work, access to e-Learning is included (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication between senior management and the its' reporting teams is not always optimal (in 7 reviews)

• Difficult to break into executive management internally (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Ups and Downs at LexisNexis

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Work is diverse and challenging

Cons

They are outsourcing the software and app development employees

Cost is not the only solution to being "World Class"!

Elsevier needs to think before it acts, look at all the other companies failing due to short term financial focus

Current Employee - Concerned Employee in Miamisburg, OH
    Current Employee - Concerned Employee in Miamisburg, OH

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

People, Technology A sense of ownership in the process.

Cons

Its diffiuclt to advance your career, no clear cut objectives and measurements for advancement

Get a clue. Think about what it is you just forced the organization to do and rethink your intentions. Short term gain focus ultimately causes significant friction in the the long term. I think you only need to look at AIG and other foundering institutions who based many of their recent decisions on the short term gain and shor term shareholder happiness

Unsure about future

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Good location, decent facility. Employees generally able to balance work & home life.

Cons

Limited career path. Outsourcing / offshoring will probably continue. Other IT career opportunities in Dayton are limited.

Even a reasonably intelligent person can detect BS so don't give it to us.

Low pay, and mind-numbing work, but you can take lots of days off...

Former Employee - Journals, Editorial Production in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Journals, Editorial Production in San Diego, CA

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

The company is based in Europe, so the attitude throughout the U.S. offices seems to be a tad more "Euro" also. Great vacation time, sick time, AND personal days. Managers are known for being fairly chill and understanding. There is also the opportunity to travel if you have been at the company long enough, and if you are lucky, basically.

Cons

LOW pay and VERY limited opportunity for advancement, even though management (via corporate)tries to act like there is, by requiring you to fill out a "personal development plan" that is basically BS. It is a genius idea to keep us motivated, but it becomes a big joke to anyone who had been there longer than a year. My branch was also littered with people who were probably considered "unemployable" for the most part, and were just happy to have a job.

Be a bit more candid about our significance in the company. We know there is little to no chance for promotion. We know our job is easily replaced by outsourcing (or more sophisticated softwware). Don't kiss our ass and give us a condescending pat on the head (or a measly $5 starbux card) when we do something right. Anyone who has a half a brain can see through it and it's demoralizing.

Good corporate mission, poor management

Current Employee - Vice President in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

The best reason to work at Reed elsevier is that the overall mission to help improve the delivery of health information and to better patient outcomes is compelling

Cons

Very poor senior management and pay is on the lower side of the scale!!

Senior management needs to value its employees

In a cutthroat market, you need to be in touch with all employees.

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Reed Elsevier provides a decent salary and package, compared to the rest of the industry, which is in dire straits.. Some nice co-workers made the experience pleasant on a day to day basis. Management is pleasant on the face of it, as it is most places in publishing, but gives poor, useless, or no feedback while a project is going on. It has a good reputation in an industry which has the shakes, thanks to diversified products that keep its neck above water.

Cons

There is poor communication throughout the system, a throwback to an era when things moved along at a lazy pace in publishing. But it matters a lot today. Heavy on the politics, even to the detriment of work time.

Better communication up and down. Reward outstanding contributors to the team effort.

Reed Elsevier's clueless management

Current Employee - Consulting Software Engineer in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Consulting Software Engineer in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Great salary. Very smart and experienced people.

Cons

Complete lack of substantive communication from senior management. They communicate, but we have no clue why they do what they do.

Tell us when the layoffs will stop. Tell us what the overall strategy is.

Would not recommend this as a positive place to work.

Former Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

compensation and benefits were fair

Cons

very "European centric"; leadership not in tune with day-to-day activities

more involvement and communication with employees

Uninspired senior managment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Great co-workers, until they left for better places to work

Cons

Management is so unknowledgeable about the business that they constantly hire outside consultants to tell them what to do. We've seen every one you can name. Bain, McKenzie, Monitor, PWC, and others. They even had an initiative one year on "Innovation." And of course, Crispin Davis hired an outside consulting firm and paid them millions of dollars to run an "innovation" program. Be innovative, or else!!! In that program, of the ideas that "won," and were therefore funded, none ever came to anything. The one I was most aware of was quietly killed after about two years, having achieved absolutely none of its objectives and having cost a ton of money. OF COURSE all this was funded by cutting programs for normal everyday business. True innovation, either by ongoing improvement, or leapfrog ideas, is smothered, because management doesn't trust people with ideas. They only trust people with MBAs from a specific handful of business schools and then only if they have had work experience with-- you guessed it, those consulting firms.

The senior management of Reed Elsevier Group doesn't know enough about the companies in the group to be able to assess the decision-making and leadership of the management teams for the divisions.

Crispin Davis is being replaced. To the new guy I say: look very very carefully at what is going on, especially in the United States. Read all the reviews on Glassdoor.com about all the RE companies. There is a lot of concern and complaints about outsourcing, but even putting that issue aside, you need to be aware that the management of these companies is abysmal. Oh, and by the way, all that outsourcing? Check into whether the cost savings are really there over the long term. And further, what will be the ultimate incremental cost if you try to repair the significant loss in quality (a concern which is being brushed aside, as the message gets massaged at each level as it goes up the management chain).

EDIT was great, now it is a shell of what it once was.

Current Employee - Consulting Software Engineer in Miamisburg, OH
    Current Employee - Consulting Software Engineer in Miamisburg, OH

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Because you can't find a better job, because the economy is so bad that you would rather risk pending layoffs than work fast food. Because you like creating designs for work being outsourced. Because you are afraid to do better

Cons

All of the real work is done in India

Tell the truth, don't spin. Employees are not as blind as you think.

Reed Elsevier Group Photos

Reed Elsevier (Photo thanks to Flickr user shinichi, Some Rights Reserved)
Reed Elsevier Headquarters