Reed Elsevier Group Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014

3.3

Reed Elsevier Group CEO and Director; CEO, Reed Elsevier PLC, Reed Elsevier NV, Elsevier Division Erik Engstrom
Erik Engstrom

Pros
  • ownership, freedom to work compared to other competition companies,work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits and company supported initiatives (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication between senior management and the its' reporting teams is not always optimal (in 6 reviews)

• Poor strategy and execution of off shoring and outsourcing leads to loss of talent, poorer customer service and inefficiency (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good work life balance

Current Employee - Senior Editor  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Editor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

work life balance is extremely good in my area anyway, my managers are very approachable, the company is relatively well resourced.

Cons

hard to get anything done, some of the people in my area are quite cliquey and hard to get to know, I'm on a maternity contract and there is therefore little job security. I also don't really know if the job is as challenging or as interesting as initially "sold" in the interview.

I'm quite happy with the way things are run by management. Most of the managers I have worked with are quite approachable and easygoing, although I do find it hard to get clear, consistent answers at times.

Large company with global opportunities

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

The company has a large global footprint. This opens opportunities to have a career in a lot of different places including telecommuting.

Cons

Those based out of a small regional offices have less exposure to the corporate experience.

Employees in remote locations especially those in smaller locations have less opportunities for advancement and almost no exposure to corporate.

Satisfied

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

great people, great salary, great benefits, very relaxed working environment

Cons

not enough annual raise the last couple of years

N/A

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Out in the trenches

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Lots of training and traveling, simple org structure, nice and brilliant colleagues. competitive wage and holidays. Can be long term if one wants to.

Cons

The work gets redundant after 6 months
    extremely hands on, one do all
    generally unhappy customer due to stringent commercial practice

for a company this size stock option would be nice to reward and retain talents or loyal employees, incentives and benefits are not unified

Excellent company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

- Great mission and contribution to society
    - Talented management
    - Strong financial results allowing for good compensations
    - Very good employee atmosphere

Cons

- Not yet as innovative as we would like it to be
    - Not changing as fast as we would like
    - You need to find your own opportunities to progress

The company needs more bold changes
    We need to invest more in technology
    We need to become more knowledgeable about our customers

Logistics Manager

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Wonderful company with a close knit community of employees all working towards a similar goal of delivering a product on time. Each member of the staff knew there responsibilities and understood what made the company tick.

Cons

Pace was always quickened due to time sensitive objectives. Working till the job was completed was always something we had to handle.

Allow employees to set beforehand a working timeframe when starting a workweek. Once this is established it will beenefit the company.

Ups and Downs at LexisNexis

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Work is diverse and challenging

Cons

They are outsourcing the software and app development employees

Cost is not the only solution to being "World Class"!

Solid global corporation, but not brilliant at career development

Current Employee - Technology  in  Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technology in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I work in the Elsevier bit, in particular the Technology group, recently taken over by Dan Olley (2013). (Elsevier is the Science publishing group). The company used to be very bureaucratic, faceless, etc., a lot of tech talent got out-sourced. Olley looks like he's stopping this.

And the openness has been changing in the last two or three years, it's a more friendly company than it used to be. The benefits are pretty good for the sector, and the salaries at the senior end of thing are relatively attractive when you're coming into the company. There are plenty of travel opportunities - mostly, in my case, to Amsterdam, Dayton (Ohio) and Philly. Internal communications used to be unspeakably bad, but is improving.

Even if you think you know Elsevier to be a big company, the scale of it will amaze you. Ten years in, and I can still find myself in an office of 500 people without knowing a single person there, or even know what they do! Personally, I like this, but then I'm a loud-mouth.

Despite what I'm going to say in the 'cons' section, I reckon I fit in quite well at Elsevier. It's not what I expected, but it suits for personal reasons (young family, blah blah blah). Probably best for self-motived extroverts.

Cons

The Oxford (Kidlington) office is a souless hole, especially compared with Amsterdam, which is (now that it's been revamped) a far more engaging environment. If you don't get an office in Oxford from the start, you won't get one. Compared with Amsterdam, where if you had an office (almost no-one does now), you wouldn't want one. The Mendeley office in London seems like a nice place. Philly and Dayton are ... well, meh.

Ditto salaries - it will take YEARS to get any kind of promotion or rise unless you're on the management programme (and I don't think the Technology / IT group has a management / career development programme). The HR team talk a lot about recruiting talent, but very little about retaining it, or developing it (again, I can only speak to the technology group). I would recommend working here for a couple of years and then going elsewhere for career dev, and not uprooting yourself and the family for a long-term relationship.

If you're ambitious in technology, it can be frustrating place to work. There seems to be a lot of people in the business side who have tech responsibilities and I don't know how that all ties together. Maybe it'll get sorted, but it's been like that for longer than I've been there and doesn't look like it's getting there. The story seems a familiar one from Dilbert: if you're outside the company you get taken more seriously... On the upside, once your projects get funded and supported, they get delivered and supported. This is a good thing, and I've been lucky in that all my projects have been successful - this isn't rewarded financially, but it feels really good. Some poor sods seem to get all the bad luck.

The tech stack was more limited than it was - used to be MS throughout. Not so much anymore, although Oracle dominates the db side. The fulfilment systems are a hoot. Some of the ideas that come through are really exciting, which makes up for it (but you need to engage with the cool stuff, before some people get all negative about delivery), I find enthusiasm and engagement really helps deliver.

1) Have some way of identifying your technology talent and developing their careers. The management programme seems to work well in the 'business' side, why not do something similar?

2) Do something with the Oxford office. Almost anything. It's the second worst thing about the job, but it's close, it feels like a passive-aggressive library.

3) The person who runs the Amsterdam office seems to know what they're talking about. As does Olley.

Very corporate but has its moments.

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

Pros

Great experience to put on your CV

Cons

Large corporate inertia rather apparent

Maybe be more proactive than reactive.

How to transform a giant into a global but nimble digital player

Former Employee - Director of the Television Division  in  Paris (France)
    Former Employee - Director of the Television Division in Paris (France)

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Enjoyed my job, my wonderful colleagues and friends and boss more than any other company. Great benefits and company supported initiatives. The only place where we had our own personal chef on staff for daily lunches.

Cons

Office space was limited and cramped with very bad air conditioning in the hot 30C - 35C heat of summer which made work difficult. I was very high up in the organisation but still not opportunity to advance was offered or given so it looked like a reached a peak for which no amount of accomplishment would offer me further job growth and opportunities. All decisions took way too long. There needed to be a Fast Track for some ideas while others needed to be more cautiously reviewed.

Ensure that every employee has a career path set and offered to them. If they reach their bench marks then that should be a green light to be moved up or given added or different responsibilities. Reviews and career path was something I always included in my PDP's with key staff but it was a personal choice I made not a company wide initiative.

Worked for Reed Elsevier Group? Contribute to the Community!