Reed Elsevier Group

www.reedelsevier.com

Reed Elsevier Group Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014
Reed Elsevier Group – Amsterdam – “Reed Elsevier Headquarters”

Reed Elsevier Group – Amsterdam – “Reed Elsevier Headquarters”

Reed Elsevier Group CEO and Director; CEO, Reed Elsevier PLC, Reed Elsevier NV, Elsevier Division Erik Engstrom

Erik Engstrom

Pros
  • ownership, freedom to work compared to other competition companies,work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits and company supported initiatives (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Communication between senior management and the its' reporting teams is not always optimal (in 6 reviews)

• Poor strategy and execution of off shoring and outsourcing leads to loss of talent, poorer customer service and inefficiency (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Had been a good experience working here

Production Planning and Quality Control Executive (Current Employee) Chennai (India)

ProsComfortable shifts, Transportation Facilities, Good Compensation benefits, Entertainment. Hygenic environment. No dress code.

ConsFlat Hierarchy Structure due to which promotion is minimal.

Advice to Senior ManagementStress on Transparency

A nice place to work at but not the best place for really creative people

Copy Editor (Former Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

ProsThe best reason has to be the cafe experience; you can have really relaxing coffee/tea breaks here and de-stress.
    secondly, the work culture is pretty decent.

Consthey can do better by ensuring that all departments coalesce for activities and support each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to take greater interest in what's happening at the lower levels.

Pleasant and low energy

ProsNon-pressured work environment
    Employees are respected
    Global view
    Many long-time employees
    Family feel in some areas
    OK benefits and perks

ConsNon-pressured work environment
    Too quiet and staid in some areas
    Sub-par pay
    In some areas too much management turnover
    Technology not advanced

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to move into the 21st century

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

Webshop Executive (Current Employee) Chennai (India)

Pros1. Good work Environment.

2. Stress free

3. Employee Friendly

Cons1. Ideas of the Employees in the beginning level with good exposure are not valued.

Advice to Senior Management1. Its time for a change to the E-Operation from the authentic publishing mode of job

Large company that is trying to break out of its traditional publishing mentality into a fast-moving data provider.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe company has a big footprint in many markets and is moving toward some new and exciting technologies/products. It is trying to promote cross fertilisation across its many businesses so there is often an opportunity to work in a completely new field if it is of interest to you. Also, the overall work/life balance is strong.

ConsThe corporate functions are generally quite removed from the day-to-day activities of the many businesses it owns. This means that it often acts more like an investment management firm rather than a head of a unified company. The CEO is very distant and culture/leadership from the top is not strong.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to better integrate the group, creating an environment where corp managers are eager to engage you and offer innovative ideas. This will also increase communication, making it less necessary for us to provide you with the great amount of data you require which burdens the businesses more than previous CEOs.

Simply Neutral

ProsA good work and life balance

ConsDissatisfied salary level compared with other companies in the industry.
    Sometimes more talk than work.
    Product launching is sometimes not very pragmatic.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter salary level
    Being more pragmatic when launching new products.

Poor comminication and decisions from Senior managemnt

Windows Systems Administrator L3 (Former Employee) Oxford, England (UK)

ProsSalary was OK if you worked overtime. Team I worked in was good and we were able to attend some training.

ConsBad decisions and complete lack of communication from senior management. So poor that the directors outsourced devisions to an Indian company. No thought of employee welfare what so ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Pleasant internal working environment but sometimes strained relationships with customers were unpleasant to deal with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood work/life balance, excellent benefits and supportive colleagues, plus opportunities to work outside the UK

ConsCompany's excessive pricing policy in the past and ill-considered outsourcing (causing lower standards) has lowered reputation with more traditional customers

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving been seen to leave 'premiership' paper publishing to rivals such as OUP, developing successful electronic business model is essential.

Good place to work but below average pay and ot adjusting to changes to their market well

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFair treatment of employees, transparent policies, mgt. pretty good. They are recently becoming good at allowing movement to parts of the company but that is only recent. Finally, they are fair, in general, to employees, with some notable exceptions like every company has.

ConsNot reacting well to changes or attacks on their industry of information services and, as a result, not keepign up with internal and external changes in the industry. Need a dose of newew management that cares about changing with the times.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to do the actual job of a sales rep for a week in terms of barriers internally to sales and you will understand how bad that needs to be fixed. Do more to fix employee salary problems for employees to increase retention.

Very good work life balance

Senior Editor (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Proswork life balance is extremely good in my area anyway, my managers are very approachable, the company is relatively well resourced.

Conshard to get anything done, some of the people in my area are quite cliquey and hard to get to know, I'm on a maternity contract and there is therefore little job security. I also don't really know if the job is as challenging or as interesting as initially "sold" in the interview.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm quite happy with the way things are run by management. Most of the managers I have worked with are quite approachable and easygoing, although I do find it hard to get clear, consistent answers at times.

Worked for Reed Elsevier Group? Contribute to the Community!