Reed Elsevier NV Reviews

Updated March 2, 2014

2.8

Reed Elsevier NV CEO and Director; CEO, Elsevier Division Erik Engstrom
Erik Engstrom

Good place to work, but in these times, nothing last forever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Reed Elsevier NV

Pros

Working at Reed Elsevier allows staff to manage their businesses we they see fit. There is many satisfied staff that generally enjoy the work they do and are proud of the products they deliver.

Cons

The business as it should looks for opportunities to save and manage cost. In doing so, the service level to staff and customers suffers. The general lowering of service to save money is and important effort, but the barometer that measure lower thresholds that businesses want to avoid, are seldom in place.

Ensure you're clear on the survey information that is used to support business decision. Going the direction of lowering cost can and will impact the bottom line less favourably otherwise.

Lack of leadership, no strategic plan for future development

I worked at Reed Elsevier NV

Pros

Decent benefits, get to work with some very knowledgeable industry colleagues.

Cons

Lack of management oversight, manager bullying, HR department has a complete lack of interest in employees, no training/education/mentoring, promotion virtually impossible unless you are close friends with upper management, no respect or concern for clients, out-of-date products and strategies, management will not commit to competing in the digital marketplace. Current leadership of Reed is more like caretakers than innovators.

Senior management must pay attention to the conduct of middle/upper managers, listen to what clients are asking for and saying about us (anonymous surveys only go so far), prod all managers to support staff training and education, human resources MUST take employee concerns regarding management conduct issues seriously and address them, and take decisive steps to grow the product lines to compete in the modern academic marketplace.

Great place to start a career; unsure that you'd build a career beyond your first 2 positions at the company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Reed Elsevier NV

Pros

Good place to learn the ropes of being a knowledge worker. Entry level positions provide opportunities to learn and practice customer interaction, process management, time management, etc. that are applicable in other roles in the company and/or in other companies period. Good performance at the entry level puts you in good favor with middle management.

Cons

Recruitment is shady. Sometimes, promotions out of one position into another may sometimes be driven by middle management's need to fill a position rather than the need select and hire the most competent candidate. Though, how can they be blamed when their managers and directors, the departmental and divisional managers, show favoritism towards certain employees and display a habit of announcing people into positions -- positions that were never opened for application INTERNALLY? This has all led to my distrust of the managers of my department and division -- I question their intentions and their competence when good and valuable employees feel shafted from opportunities because they never had the chance to apply because they never knew a position was opening up. SHAMEFUL!

Time is no excuse for preventing people with the opportunity to apply for a position. All it is is a cover-up for how poorly you've developed your reports and how poorly you managed your recruitment process. There are a lot of people that work hard at Elsevier that deserve the chance to prove themselves -- all they're asking for is the chance. Why is that so difficult to give?

I cross my fingers that Ian Smith can make some great strides in this part of the culture.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stunningly competent!

Former Employee - Editor  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Editor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Reed Elsevier NV

Pros

Large, international, long-term focus, competent

Cons

Too large, not-local, overly goal focused, disorganized

Communicate more and actually do something productive. The counting of words to determine the value of an opinion is an approach that fails to take into account content quality and is only concerned with the amount of content.

Lovely to work for, not perfect

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier NV as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Diverse workforce.
    You work with educated people.
    Access to scientific publications
    Every day is a challenge.
    Flexible working hours

Cons

Can be difficult to get a permanent contract.
    Communication could and should be better
    The canteen is mediocre at best

Learn to communicate with us, especially regarding reorganisations. We want to know what is happening when it may affect our jobs.

Leading Publishing house

Former Employee - Finance  in  Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Finance in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I worked at Reed Elsevier NV

Pros

Well known and respected company. Good people who are willing to share their experience. Very succesful transition of business models, from a traditional print only publishing house to a world class Online publisher.
    I believed the Compensation to be very competitive, it has never been a bottleneck for me, especially when taking into account the other benefits like vacation days, ATV, etc.

Cons

Leadership of Elsevier transitioned from common sense and healthy judgement into a cold calculated share houlders value model with the current management. Major overhauling took place in the Finance department mainly due to issues with "new" CFO. High turnover specifically in Finance

Have a more long term vision

A company being strangled by its pursuit for the bottom line.

Former Employee - Senior Editor  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Editor in London, England (UK)

I worked at Reed Elsevier NV

Pros

Working for RE looks good on your CV, because people that haven't worked for the company think it's a slick operation (if only they knew what a shambles it actually was). You're allowed flexibility in your role and your hours, but this due to the effectiveness of the line management, not the senior management.

Cons

The constant risk of redundancy is the biggest downside. There has been wholesale carnage across the UK, which doesn't seem to have been thought through properly, as it has been done to relocate roles and not to "trim the fat". It has led to a massive loss of skill and experience, the cost of which is difficult to estimate.

Look more carefully into the long-term costs of redundancy, it's possible that RE has dug a whole that will take a long time to climb out of. Particularly if those made redundant find themselves working for your competitors.

Worked for Reed Elsevier NV? Contribute to the Community!