Reed Smith

www.reedsmith.com

Reed Smith Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014
Reed Smith – US – “Reed Smith”

Reed Smith – US – “Reed Smith”

Not yet rated.

Reed Smith Global Managing Partner Alexander Y. Thomas

Alexander Y. Thomas

Decent pay, good benefits, limited growth opportunities for staff

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsReed Smith offers a good benefits package, and the pay for staff can be good. Some attorneys are difficult to deal with, but the majority are fine to work with as long as they see you as a problem-solver.

ConsUnfortunately there's no means for advancing my career within my department. Some teams are reclusive and unhelpful. The org chart's a bit of a mess.

Over the last five years, there's been a steady decline of stupid little things like free lunches or tchotchke's given to staff. These are never exciting to receive, but actually go a long way for making employees feel valued.

Human Resources here is blatantly working on the company's behalf and not that of the employee's.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview inter-team communication and ensure that none are becoming silo'd off. Review how teams are to communicate with each other. If one team is required to send out a lot of email notifications, ensure that their output is normalized across team members by requiring that they use a form. Standardization would help a lot for dealing with some of this stuff. Encourage staff training programs.

Horrible Firm, Horrible People, Horrible Pay

Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIt's a big firm, so the firm name will look good on your resume and will perhaps get your next, prospective employer to look at it more carefully. You might find good people to learn from, but overall...be weary.

ConsLong hours, no recognition, lousy pay.

Great people to work with, great value to the client relative to industry. . . could still do better.

Associate Attorney (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe leadership actually care about their people. We have far more transparency than you will find at any other comparable size firm. Associates are part of the conversation, rather than an after thought.

ConsLike most attorneys, we are horrible at project management. We spend most of our time reacting to client's needs rather than working with them to anticipate their needs. Additionally, like other firms, associates learn by OJT rather than by an established well run training program. If there's a choice between a billable hour and training, the billable will always win.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire dedicated, salaried project management teams for each functional area - one per 20 attorneys. Their job is to work with attorneys and clients to plan, something we don't do. Also, keep 50 hours a year for associates (though senior associate) for training. Associates knowledge (and profitability) will increase much faster if ojt is supplemented by a useful training program (which does not detract from associates hours).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall pretty good

Senior Paralegal (Current Employee) Pgh Int ArPort, PA

ProsLarge firm, good benefits. Overall a pretty good place to work

ConsNo real growth, high turnover. No real communication downward

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more aware of what employees need and keep them informed of the direction of the departments.

Wonderful firm, approachable people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- great exposure to multiple parts of the organization
    - business services people trusted with access to sensitive partner level information
    - approachable down-to-earth partnership
    - entrepreneurial atmosphere

Cons- very limited resources, staffed much more lightly than average firm
    - work-life balance challenging due to limited resource

Long hours

Attorney, 6th-Year (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGain quality experience and some nice people to work with depending on your practice group

ConsLong hours and unreasonable partners

Amazing Company

Records Intern (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Pros-Paid Internship
    -Great Leadership
    -Nice facility
    -Great work experience

Consthere were no cons, just a great company all around.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the great work.

Talented teams doing great work, the right way

ProsTop-notch talent in all practice groups and support departments produces great results for clients and provides a solid foundation for steady growth worldwide. The firm combines a progressive approach to OD, diversity/inclusion, pro bono work and technology (especially by law firm standards), with a long tradition of success. The culture can vary somewhat by office and by practice group, but just about everyone I've worked with -- from senior leadership to entry-level new hires -- lives and works by the firm's core values (respect, integrity, quality, performance & innovation) every day. I've found *very* few of the big egos and sharp elbows commonly associated with global "Biglaw" firms.

ConsWork-life balance can be a challenge: the road to recognition always includes long hours, late nights and weekends under deadline pressure. Leadership is strong and stable, but that leaves limited opportunities for advancement in many departments.

Difficult Partners

Attorney, 1st-Year (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsLaw firm has a good reputation

ConsThe training is substandard, especially for new hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on training new hires.

Pretentious firm with good pay

Contract Attorney (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGood pay, lots of work, and good pay. Some attorneys are very friendly.

ConsMost of the attorneys are very pretentious. Groups operate in silos and partners play favorites.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually have discussions with your attorneys and staff members. Communication and reward will help foster a better work environment.

Worked for Reed Smith? Contribute to the Community!