Reeds Jewelers

www.reeds.com

Reeds Jewelers Reviews

Updated May 12, 2014
Reeds Jewelers – Charlotte – “REEDS Jewelers”

Alan M. Zimmer

Good Family owned Company

Store Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI loved my job, Store Manager was great. My Staff was also great. This was the best 2nd job I have had in my life. Thank You, sad things didn't work out.

ConsThe DM needs to go to more training on how to be True Leader to his/her whole team. Some DM like some store Managers better than others. Shame on them

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a better eye on what your DM is doing. Also get Him/Her to give better training to the store management team. Make sure that the DM is not favoring another Store Manager, because that is a real No-No.

Reeds is way better than Sterling!! But its starting to act more like them every day.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Lexington, KY

ProsIf you can sell the commission structure is great.
    Also if you can negotiate a good starting pay the pay s good also. If not they will pay you $8/ hour.
    They have a great pay raise system that you are in complete control of.
    You "get" almost 4 weeks paid time off when you start working there.
    They can have very good training.

ConsYou can move up quickly but only so far. For you to move up ppl have to get fired and then if you are lucky you can move up.
    The upper management will throw you under the bus if it keeps them out of getting in trouble.
    It is very political, you always have to kiss up to management.

I would recommend this company to someone who is already in the jewelry business or if you would like to try it.

The higher you get in the company the less security you have. I worked there for 6 years and went though 5 Managers and I had the same one for almost 3 years but she got demoted because the store was 95% to budget even though the stores volume had increased almost 100% the two years before!!

Also you get a lot of time off but you can never take it because there is never enough ppl to cover the sales floor. Or if your in management and your not over 100% as a store then you can't take it and you loose it at the end of the year. You work crazy hours at Christmas! If you are in management you never get weekends off. If you are the AM you will have to do all the crappy work like work on Sundays, work a bunch of nights, get in trouble for things that you are in charge of but you have no control over, because the manager doesn't give you any authority.

The also have the worst warranty's of any jewelry store out there but they normally can get you a great deal on something, that is if the manager is willing to discount the crap out of it. If they don't they are selling crap most of the time.

They are a step above a pawn shop. They buy gold, silver, diamonds, watches, and platinum. They say they pay better than pawn shops but they are about the same. And they always want you to offer way less than what its worth. If Reeds can by it from a customer for $5000 and still make money they will tell you that but also tell you to offer something like $500 to see if they will take it. And this is on a $20000 item. I once bought a $120k item for $12000 and the company made crazy money off of this item. And I only made $200. But when you mess up and over pay for something they will want you to pay it back from your own money and then they will fire you!

The most important thing with Reeds is if you have a good manager while you work there and the store is doing good, you can do no wrong and you can take all the time off that you want and you will make good money. But if the manager is not that great your life will suck and your job will be in jeopardy the entire time, even if you are the top sells person. While I was there me and one other assistant made up 70% of the sales volume in the store for the entire year and she threatened to fire me weekly for clocking in 1 or 2 minutes late a week, and when I say 1 or 2 minutes I mean exactly that. She couldn't doing anything because in the Reeds handbook it gave me 5 minutes lead way so she could never wright me up but she loved to threaten me with being let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to you would be to do what your going to say. The last month I worked there I was promised that I would be taken care of the next month and you were going to do all this stuff for me!! Ha Ha then next month came and you let me go!!

Felt Like High School Again

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay (with commissions) is good. The hours (besides during the holiday season) are consistent.

ConsUnless you are in the "cool kids" clique you can count on not getting any promotions or bonuses. The gossip market at this company is rampant. It requires a thick skin to work here because you will be talked about behind your back by coworkers and management alike.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dissapointed

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay and benefits are okay. Climate controlled environment

ConsDifficult to be able to take vacation because of coverage and black out dates. If goal is not in by the last days of the month, managers do not get their day off. They tell you that the culture is very close and caring. On the contrary, it is cut throat. They treat people differently so that the same violation by different employees will have different circumstances.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest about the company and the culture or change it so that it will be the truth when they say they are like family and care.

Definitely the best job I've had so far!

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Wilmington, NC

Pros~Everyone I work with is very nice and respectful
    ~Management has a lot of common sense which many of my past employers lacked
    ~Set hours which make it easy to orchestrate plans in my personal life
    ~ Good salary and benefits
    ~It's family owned and they take care of their employees
    ~As long as you give reasonable notice, it's easy to get hours off for personal reasons
    ~There's room to move up
    ~Management is very easy to talk to

ConsMy department is growing faster than we really have room for, so it's several of us in the same small area. *fingers crossed for expansion.* We're also really busy - which can be good though because it goes by faster!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management in by department is excellent so I feel that I am very fortunate in that respect. From what I've heard from some stores though, some management and associates need to be retrained in some areas that have been forgotten or they've gotten rusty on. But nothing major. =)

Terrible

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Myrtle Beach, SC

ProsI like that it is a small, family owned company.

ConsHave a grab and run and you will find yourself the next victim of humiliation and first class black-balling. Even if the thief was a professional that the FBI were trying to track down. The pay was close to being a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementI won't call any names, but some need to be replaced.

Best place to work in Wilmington, NC!

ECommerce Associate Intern (Current Employee) Wilmington, NC

Pros-Flexible Hours (even around my School Schedule)
    -Excitement
    -Always working on something fun and exciting
    -We are in business to make people happy!
    -Great room for growth
    -Raises
    -Healthy work environment
    -Leading in technology training
    -Work with what your skills are and allow you the freedom to make decisions and present ideas that will better the company
    -Open Door policy

Cons-The only con I can come up with is that there isn't a whole lot of space to move around. I do feel cramped with another person in my office.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work and continue your efforts in allowing students like me the chance at working at your great company!

My experience was neutral

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe jewelry store is family owned.

ConsManagement could be better. Needs to be Up with the times....More merchandise

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need training, even if they have been with the company for 25 years. Executives need to speak to the sales associates. When there is a meeting with a sales associate, this meeting needs to be without the manager present. I have felt that some sales associates are afraid of telling a regional or district manager issues within the store, as they are afraid of the manager and what she/he may do.

The worst experience of my life.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe fact that it is next door to Dunkin Donuts is the a plus. Everyone seems really nice and helpful in the beginning. Good location

ConsWorking horrible hours
    Incompetent management
    Overly emotional management
    Unprofessional environment
    Ball and Chain management
    No appreciation for working hard
    Pressure cooker environment
    Bad behavior tolerated by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should get rid of the incompetent staff. Who cares if they have been there forever and a day. Bad behavior should not be tolerated.

Worked for Reeds Jewelers? Contribute to the Community!