Reese Communications

Reese Communications Reviews

Updated July 18, 2014
Updated July 18, 2014

Jeff Ross

Overall Great Company to Work For.

I worked at Reese Communications full-time

Pros

Really great work environment. The people who work here are super talented and really understand digital. The environment here is work hard play hard (which I really like) and most of the people here are friends outside of work.

Cons

Client portfolio is standard for Washington, DC.

n/a

Always Learning

I worked at Reese Communications

Pros

I had never worked in digital marketing until I started working at RTC. After a few weeks, I knew I could never go back to traditional marketing. Over the next 3 years, I learned someone new every day and that was invaluable.

Cons

Because this agency is under the Wunderman network, raise pools and promotions took forever. There was so much red tape to get anything approved. This was also true for making a case for new hires. Work couldnt get done, because they didnt have the bodies and it took over a month to get approvals for new hires and the work suffered for it.

Stay on top of the resourcing issue. Since raises and promotions are few and far between, find other ways to keep your employees happy.

Great Experience, Great People, Not so great compensation

I worked at Reese Communications full-time

Pros

I got a lot of invaluable experience about the industry and working at an agency that I will be forever grateful for. RTC has really great, creative, smart, talented people, always willing to put in an extra effort to get the job done. The clients I worked on were in varied industries (not all pharma as many experience) .

Cons

Many employees here go years and years without pay increases. This leads to a lot of turnover, which is never good for morale. When I was there, we also dealt with a significant amount of layoffs, which created a tense work environment.

Boring work & little room for creativity

I worked at Reese Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great location, modern office, fun & talented individuals.

Cons

The work is mostly pharma, even though from the outside it may appear very differently. They have very little say in creative direction as a great deal of the work is dictated by Y&R. The Executive Creative Director never comes out of his office and has little to no rapport with the department. People at the agency seem generally unhappy.

Creative directors should be more hands-on. If possible, don't allow Y&R to keep bullying the agency around.

I enjoyed working at RTC very much.

Former Employee - Designer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Designer in Washington, DC

I worked at Reese Communications as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Team member support is outstanding, projects are very well organized, project managers do an excellent job at coordinating work. New projects from newly acquired clients keeps the workflow interesting. The company culture is well structured. And the work environment is very casual and fun. There are happy hours in the office on Fridays, plus there's a pool table in the DC office! Win.

Cons

Most of the clients are mainly in the pharma industry, which means that there is limited room for creativity in commercial work. Freelance designers do not receive any benefits and are too easily replaced after working brief contracts.

Provide a way for freelance designers to become full-time employees.

Dead-end...unless you are ruthless about learning what you can and getting out

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Reese Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice office. Good PTO. There are a couple good teams/clients but they are not widespread.

Cons

Very harsh and defeatist culture. Constant complaining and "joking" about how terrible it is to work there. Very poor job security. No bonus structure. No raises since 2008 for the vast majority-not even COL adjustments. Really narrow pharma-dominated client base. Clients really don't like RTC much in the majority of cases, so there's lots of complaining about that as well.

Where to begin? Get rid of the dead weight in upper and middle management. Talk to employees and clients more frequently to better understand the challenges they face. Diversify the work. Act like a grown-up!

Savvy & Zany

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Reese Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great of group of people, everyone loves what they do
    Smart, talented, collaborative, creative, analytical
    Very right brain & left brain
    Ideas are welcomed

Cons

Can be a little hectic at times - communication & re-prioritization is key. Some leads are particularly good at team communication, others are not as strong.

Greater visibility of C suite - walk the halls, talk with a wider group of people

Decent If Prepared to Play The Game

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Rolling Meadows, IL

I worked at Reese Communications

Pros

- flexible hours, good benefits, decent pay, exciting industry and customers, positioned for growth, good name in the industry if using it as a resume builder

Cons

out of touch sr management, some Sr. managers have been promoted beyond their ability (one even admitted it to me!), hard to get things done if not on one of the dedicated account teams that make up a majority of the business, unclear messages on performance and how to improve,

Stop believing that because your managers have been there for 20 years that there is no new ways to do things. You hire seasoned professionals and expect them to fit into the holes that you feel appropriate. Let them grow and show them what they can do...or hire moldable college grads for a lot less money.

If you're thinking of working here - really vet the opportunity

I worked at Reese Communications

Pros

Good location, people try to work past inept management to deliver solid product to their clients...

Cons

Unfortunately most everyone is working around leadership who don't give a crap about providing resources, headcount or guidance to teams. Infighting and politics galore.

Don't need more upper level posturing, invest in folks and increase retention

Old school DM shop

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Reese Communications

Pros

RTCRM has the reputation of being a great Direct Marketing place in DC.Its in the Foundry building which is a cool place to go to work everyday. There is some good people there that care about RTC being successful--yet they are never heard. They are open to change, but don't know how to go about it.

Cons

They are trying to become an advertising agency and focus on the creative work now. Not going to happen until they fire and start over. The place still thinks, acts and performs like a DM shop and handles creative like a production house. Just a bunch of worker bees and no culture. Very depressing place and everyone is bitter yet they choose not to quit. They are all lifers and love to do the bare minimum.

no. Maybe a title change here and there but forget about raises and bonuses. Once in a blue moon type thing.

Reese Communications Photos