Referentia Systems

Not yet rated.

Nelson Kanemoto

A Fun Place for Sofware Engineers

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Honolulu, HI

ProsFree snacks, an occasional free lunch, very casual dress code, free parking. All the basic perks you'd expect at a tech startup.

ConsManagement frowned upon moonlighting. Working on personal side projects -- even if it was done on your own time -- was discouraged.

Also, you may get pulled onto projects that are not in your job description -- such as doing networking configuration

Best Start to my Career I Could Ever Hope for

Systems Engineer II (Former Employee) Honolulu, HI

ProsThe best thing about working here was how much I learned on the job and how supportive the team and management were about my development. It gave me an amazing lead in to arguably the best field for an engineer to be in now and onward. Company culture is good, morale is high, and work was exciting. I had two very different but skilled managers who I enjoyed working with and never had any conflicts with any team members. I was also able to move up fairly quickly in pay and position, so it's good to know hard work is rewarded.

ConsI felt like a slacker if I didn't put in more than 8 hours, but that was entirely in my mind and there was no real pressure. Most people do seem to work longer, though. I know some people feel underpaid. I didn't, but that said I am getting a substantial pay increase for my new job doing similar things. My resignation was largely in order to get back to the mainland.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing an excellent job for a smaller company and I hope to work with you in the future.Small contracts can bring the company very valuable tools and skills that can be used further, but an effort must be made to understand and translate them before they are forgotten.

Good place to work but as in any office...

Unique Position Intentionally Masked (Former Employee) Honolulu, HI

ProsPaid company lunches during company meetings, free company clothing, all the free snacks you could eat. Beer in company fridge available after 5pm. Good health plan. Your co-workers were real, caring people who worked very hard in a team atmosphere. There was a lot of laughter in an easy-going environment.

ConsHeavy University of Hawaii bias. Internal politics sometimes weren't handled very well. Saw some really good former co-workers who worked very hard and gave a lot to the company leave unhappy with no effort to retain. Some favoritism towards those who were in with upper management (not uncommon, especially in Hawaii). HR rulebook was non-existent because upper management didn't think it was useful. Saw more than a few co-workers leave because pay was low compared to elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou never know who you have working for you, or what they are capable of unless you take everyone who works for you seriously. The point I decided to leave the company was when a customer insisted on a meeting to point out something positive I did (in person), and the executive manager who was being told this had a blank look on his face and shrugged his shoulders.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work

Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) Honolulu, HI

Pros-Responsibility given in increments. At the time I was annoyed that it seemed to be going so slow, but I later had a position where a ton of responsibility was dumped on me the moment I walked in the door, so I really appreciated that Referentia gave me a chance to acclimate to the company and the product we were working on before being given more tasks to complete.
    -Managers seem genuinely interested in you and want to help you succeed.
    -I felt comfortable approaching my teammates for help when I needed it. I was never left feeling as though I was intruding.
    -The people in general were very kind to each other, very respectful.
    -Referentia has a reputation for good quality products, and I was very proud to have contributed.
    -Free snacks! (Though this could also be a negative!)

Cons-TONS of meetings. This could be either a positive or a negative, since the constant communication makes it easy to know where the project is going and where you stand.

I really don't have too much negative to say. I was there for a short time, but thoroughly enjoyed it. Perhaps if I had stayed longer, more things would come up, but in the time I was there, I was very happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wasn't really there long enough to get a feel for upper management, but I thought my immediate managers were doing a great job.

Great Company

ProsThe best company I've ever worked for. Very friendly and respectful staff. Good benefits.

ConsIn my particular case, working in a very remote site often left me out of what the real company actually does on a day to day. But not really a con.

Worked for Referentia Systems? Contribute to the Community!