Refinery29 Reviews

Reset
Philippe von Borries

Editor

I have been working at Refinery29 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rapidly growing company, huge opportunity for growth, excellent company culture, and the knowledge of knowing that thousands of people are reading your work daily. Management is interested in your career path within the company but also how you will succeed and grow once you leave, and that's super rare.

Cons

Some complain about a work/life balance, but it's media — any company worth its salt it going to be a company where you have to carve out your own work/life balance. No one is going to hold your hand and do it for you, the same way no one is going to help you grow unless you speak up and do it for yourself. I don't really see these as cons, though. They're growth opportunities.

If You're Not A Boss-Favorite, You're Nobody

Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Refinery29 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've met a lot of smart, creative, passionate people here. It's cool to be working at such a hot company, and I personally have a lot of autonomy in my day-to-day, so that's a plus.

Cons

Upper management is clueless. It's a mismanaged company with poor intra- and inter-departmental communication. If you have a "following" and you're good at kissing tail, you will be favored. Way too much emphasis on numbers and goals, not enough — or any — placed on people doing hard work everyday. Total lack of integrity in senior managers who abuse their power and undermine and manipulate staff not on their level. I believe that it's the mid-level people who are the ones who actually have a handle on the work being done. Lots of recent preaching about how they're going to make our lives easier; no solutions offered. There is also a CRAZY amount of turnover, which is a good indicator of employee discontent. Every week, someone else is sending an adios email. Only those favorited by upper mgmt receive sweet send-off emails. Same is true for those beginning work at R29: If you have a following or were "poached" (their word, not mine) from another company, you will receive a lovely email intro. Nothing though if you're not deemed special by head honchos.

Advice to Management

Take a look around at how many talented people have left the company in the last year. Remember that there are people being employed here, not servants or children who you can treat terribly.

3. Work IS Life — and that

Current Employee - Social Media Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Social Media Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Refinery29 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HUGE opportunity for growth if you're willing to speak up and be innovative, great brand story and company culture and brand mission.

Cons

Little to no work/life balance, management can seem non-supportive.

Advice to Management

Incredible leadership can be hard to come by, but keeping them empowered is even harder. Understanding how hard it is to juggle day-to-day tasks with overall strategy really doesn't allow managers and their employees to prosper, so empowering all the managers to feel more like mentors would really help craft a company culture where everyone feels like their career is getting championed and not constantly challenged because there's someone cooler to poach from an outside source.

Fashion intern

I worked at Refinery29

Pros

Great growth potential Fast-paced work environment Ability to go far in the editorial ranks

Cons

Below market salary Long hours Mismanagement of interns at certain times

6. Work in Progress, but a great company!

I have been working at Refinery29 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The outlook of the company is great - it's growing rapidly, staying ahead of the industry. It's a really exciting time to be a part of the company. Everyone is passionate about the brand. Everyone works hard but also knows how to have FUN at work. Of course, we get some cool stuff - happy hours, tons of catered lunches/breakfasts, perks from brand partnerships, etc.

Cons

With rapid growth comes major growing pains. Lots of teams need more operational support, managers with more managerial experience. This is not an environment for everyone - everyone puts in a lot of time, so work-life balance can be thrown off easily if you're not mindful of maintaining personal time.

Advice to Management

Be pro-active in learning HOW to manage small and large teams. Be mindful of your employees - they have personal lives that also need attention.

Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Refinery29 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rapidly growing organization with an interesting business model. Will probably ride the crest of the wave and eventually break it up.

Cons

Poor execution of projects, weak supervision, poor coordinating efforts and way too much dissension for a company of this size. Hiring way too quickly and loosing focus on objectives as well as the human element. Hours are long and personnel is under appreciated.

Advice to Management

Slow down! You are beginning to loose control. To many employees feeling the risk/reward simply isn't worth it. It started out being fun, but it has become a sweat shop with little hope for improvement.

Sales Rep

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Refinery29 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is an arrogance about management that gives them licence to treat you like garbage and yet, people are attracted to the company in the hopes that it will be different for them. I like that the company is hot, but what good is it if you are underpaid, overworked and under appreciated.

Cons

A plethora of missteps going on simultaneously creating a high level of stress and anxiety for just about everyone other than senior management. Poor communication leads to low morale and criticisms are not always constructive and can be cutting at times.

Advice to Management

Big problem with management is that they tell you what to do, but don't tell you how to do it. They ask everything of you and give nothing in return. Management has stop dumping on teams and take responsibility for lack of leadership and low self essteem.

Mean Spirited

Current Employee - Admintration in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Admintration in New York, NY

I have been working at Refinery29 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is nothing in the brilliance of my response, but what I am sharing with the public should be a critical component to their decision making process if they choose to work here. This a company that is in a serious state of flux. Their inability to handle expansion may ultimately lead to their rapid demise.

Cons

I have been working here at Refinery29 for over a year, and, with each passing day, the overall demeanor of management is on a steady decline. The anger and mismanagement towards employees is at an all time high and productivity is beginning to suffer. Their is no coherent strategy to address personnel concerns, only that if you don't like what we do here, basically you can take a hike. Morale is suffering and turnover is running rampant. I cannot in good conscience recommend this company to anyone looking for stability, opportunity, and encouragement.

Advice to Management

Lighten up! You are now no longer part of the solution, you are the problem and you are not only getting in the employees way, you are getting in your own way, and the results will be irreparable if changes are not made with expediency.

10. Passionate and creatively driven company!

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Refinery29

Pros

-Great creatively driven, collaborative team -Good communication from project manager -Encouragement of creative exploration -Fun office atmosphere -Fun company events -Free Friday breakfasts!

Cons

I don't really have any cons to give - the only feedback here would be that I think that they should expand their creative team so that the highest possible quality work can be produced to accommodate the ever expanding work load.

I love this place but I'm one of the lucky ones

Current Employee - Senior Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Refinery29 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of fun, wonderful people who will become lifelong friends, an awesome brand with a lot of creative talent. some high-school style favoritism...if the bosses don't like you personally, you can do great work and never get noticed.

Cons

too much process, too much work but not enough freedom, (sometimes) below market standard pay. people with creative ability get promoted into management even though they don't have those skills and then things get messy.

Advice to Management

less silo. less process. give credit to the people who actually made things happen when there is success.

RSS Feed </> Embed