RegEd

John M Schobel Jr

Current employee-8years

Current Employee - Compliance Clerk in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Compliance Clerk in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at RegEd full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love my job. Sure we have had issues but we address them immediately. Beats the heck out of what I use to do

Cons

Have to stay on some management, but I don't give up!

Listen more you your employees, especially when it has to do with client issues

One of the Biggest mistakes I made coming to work here...

I have been working at RegEd

Pros

Other then earning a paycheck, I have none. We do have some nice people..

Cons

Unorganized, low moral, little to no training, sink or doggie paddle mentality, poor system performance, internal bickering, too stressful, poor benefits package, no incentive to do great, noisy work environment, over priced snacks and drinks, unhealthy atmosphere, majority of the people don't want to be there..

Run, Run, Run for your life!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at RegEd full-time

Pros

Pro #1: As an employee, you can expect a consistent experience. If you are an executive with the company, you get a huge salary, lots of time off, the ability to travel on the company dime and a whole heap of other perks that are reserved for "the chosen few." If you are not an executive, you can expect to be overworked, underpaid and belittled by abusive managers who are better suited for straightjackets than managerial roles. As one of the underlings you can also expect to understand that you can and will be replaced at any time and that there is no chance of being promoted.

Pro# 2: The office is located close to the highway - this way, you can easily get to job interviews at companies in Raleigh, Durham and RTP.

Cons

1.) A small number of the senior managers and executives are nice - there are a HUGE number of executives - so finding the ones who are not raving lunatics is like finding a needle in a haystack. Based on my experience, the majority of the leaders are either abusive bullies or so out of touch with reality that they are irrelevant.

2.) The pay is fair for the jobs people are hired for. The con - not enough people are hired, leaving 6 or 7 people to do the work of 15.

3.) No opportunity for promotion - unless you are willing to wait 5 - 10 years. At that point, you will be able to get a marginal promotion with a 50 cent an hour raise.

4.) Whenever senior managers hear that people are unhappy, they spread rumors that the company is being sold... this way employees will stop complaining and pretend to be happy to avoid losing their jobs.

Any advice I would give has been covered in other reviews. These items include:
         1.) Know what your employees do, and have a realistic number of employees to do the work.
         2.) Stop spreading rumors. Every few months tongues start to wag about how the company is getting sold. Every few
              months that rumor gets denied - stop it already.
         3.) If you want employees to be committed to the company - quit treating them like disposable assets that can be
              replaced at the drop of a hat. Employees will be loyal to the company if the company treats them with dignity and
              respect.
         4.) Come to work on occasion. It would be nice to know that the executives do more than travel for the sake of having
               fun, only to show up for a meeting or two once in a blue moon.

Ugh god..

Current Employee - Licensing and Registration Specialist in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Licensing and Registration Specialist in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at RegEd full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I mean ... it's a job that pays you money. Making it possible to eat, drink and to ask extent provide shelter. I'm a processor at the lower end of the totem pole for now so I suppose ones experience would be different in say... IT or something. It's a nice office... the people are pretty cool... management is sad - but I sincerely feel that they want to be better and are taking baby steps (teeney tiny) towards improvement.

Cons

The pay is not enough for the torrential degradation. Being a person of color and working here is tricky, tricky as in there are definitely some suspect hiring and promotional practices.

Being open with your employees means nothing without honesty.

My early years were awesome, which slowly became a bunch of stress as the company is now stagnating and declining.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Morrisville, NC

I worked at RegEd full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The new folks and managers are a great bunch of people to work with. Very talented and bring a lot of industry experience into the company.

Cons

Has not delivered any new products in the past 24 months, as long as technology is in control of the business versus the other way round, will never come out of it's stagnation. And as long as corporate is running the company based on the balance-sheet versus market needs, will never grow.

All your ideas and strategies start strong, but you do not have wherewithal to deliver in the long term. You should let the industry veterans drive the company versus the lot that has been with company since the pre-FISERV days. Kick Stoneriver / Stonepoint out and buy back the company, it's pride and it's spirit of "will make it happen no matter what".

Leadership, communication and employee morale all need a boost

Former Employee - Manager in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Manager in Morrisville, NC

I worked at RegEd full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home on occasion and flexible hours were great. A couple employee perks like an annual baseball outing and community service events were nice. Office is great and kept clean.

Cons

Benefit package is weak. Expectations of employees with regard to workload distribution is unreasonably high. They are reactive to regulatory and client concerns rather than acting proactively. They sell products, new features and services that do not yet exist. The timelines to delivery are often expedited requiring a lot of overtime. They release features without adequate testing to meet deadlines rather than extending deadlines for a flawless release. They authorize limited resources then reallocate those resources when a client yells too loud. The priorities and vision of the leadership group is flawed, at best.

Get your priorities straight. Treat your employees with respect. Try open and honest communication from the top down.

Fantastic people and potential, squandered by poor management and inferior technology.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Morrisville, NC

I worked at RegEd full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The great people are the chief reason that RegEd is tolerable. Depending on department, there is flexibility with scheduling, and the ability to work from home. Many of the lower level managers are great to work with. Regardless of cons, there is great experience to be gained here. The stability is good; I never feared for my job. There is cake once a month, and they have free coffee.

Cons

Unfortunately, there are far more cons than pros. Overall, it's a negative culture. Successes are minimized, and mistakes are exacerbated. The company as a whole is reactive to problems, rather than proactive. Instead of investing upfront in infrastructure, technology, additional bodies, etc., RegEd waits for issues to become larger problems before acting.

The turnover at RegEd is frighteningly high. During my tenure, a number of employees were actually forced out by a manager before he resigned himself. The only reason I lasted there as long as I did is working on a team of great people with whom I could commiserate.

The workload is high at RegEd--employees regularly work late, early and log in from home. The high workload often causes rushing, and therefore mistakes.

The pay and benefits at RegEd are, on average, sub par. Upper managers surely do fine, but at the lower levels the compensation is not on the same level as that of similar companies in the area. For example, employees pay out of pocket for a portion of healthcare and dental. Combined with lower than average salaries, this is disappointing considering the expectations of employees.

One of the main reasons I chose RegEd was the promise of upward and lateral mobility. Neither proved to be true, and that was a main contributing factor in my departure.

The technology fails regularly, and is outdated and cumbersome to use on the back end. Employees are often not given the tools to make them more efficient in their use of back end tools (forcing manual entry vs. mass imports, etc.).

Training at RegEd is poor. The mentality is sink or swim, and employees are often thrown into work for which they haven't been properly trained.

Upper management needs to be willing to thin its ranks, cut the fat, and allocate resources to the work being done on the ground. Until then, turnover will remain high and job satisfaction will remain low.

Great People, Disorganized and Clueless Company

Current Employee - Account Manager in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at RegEd full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great! I have made many friendships since my start. Stable job because of the industry and technology. Good benefits, ability to work from home (depending on the position), good experience, good location.

Cons

Low salary for the amount of work you have to do. Parent company only cares about the bottom line so MANY departments are understaffed which causes low morale, people to job hunt and eventually leave, which in turn affects the clients. Too many managers and not enough worker bees. Many of the middle management are ass clowns. There are rumors that certain managers can get away with anything they want (including sexual harassment) but that HR will never do anything about it because "you can't touch them". The decision makers want to grow the company but they don't do anything about the departments that are understaffed. NO training program for new employees. Little to no career path.

Be ethical. LEARN WHAT YOU EMPLOYEES DO! Show more interest in your employees and not the bottom line - if you can't give good raises, show appreciation by buying the team lunch or breakfast. Stop bending over backwards for clients to provide services for free that are outside of the contract and actually follow their SIGNED contract for billing on services. Promote team building and cross training between departments. FIRE MANAGERS WHO ARE BUSINESS RISKS.

You will love the people, hate the negative culture and subpar technology, I recommend to stay far away!!!

Former Employee - Implementation Manager in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Implementation Manager in Morrisville, NC

I worked at RegEd full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Has incredibly talented and wonderful people!
    Great place to gain work experience. It is a small company so you can be very involved and have the opportunity to streamline processes and work closely with people in all levels of organization
    Cake day once a month to celebrate birthdays
    some departments have the ability to work from home one day a week

Cons

Low salary and subpar benefits
    negative culture somebody always has to be blamed for a mistake or issue that arises.
    No training at all. It is a sink or swim mentality.
    Mistakes are not overlooked but used against you.
    Some departments set up employees to fail without providing them with the proper training or tools to succeed. For example putting new team members on products that do not match their background, management does not know the product but expects the associate to figure it out quickly and not make any mistakes
    all work no life balance. the expectation is to work to meet client deliverables yet management leaves at 5 pm everyday and does not offer support when staff is overwhelmed. People get burned out very quickly and end up leaving the company
    no career path
    in some departments you have to constantly defend yourself and have a good argument for issues that come up. judgments are made quickly without getting all of the facts
    emphasis is on the bottom line not the quality of the work or the client satisfaction
    for a "technology" company the software is archaic and prone to bugs
    poor communication from top down
    company makes "knee jerk" reactions to issues that arise instead of taking a step back to re-evaluate and assess the situation

The people on the front lines are what make RegEd competitive not sales or the "leadership team". RegEd's clients stay and purchase additional products because of their account managers, implementation managers and product managers who work very hard to satisfy clients needs.
    Value the employees that you have who are working nights and weekends to meet client deliverables and don't think twice about it while their managers leave at 5 pm everyday
    Pay a competitive salary/bonus for all areas or turnover will continue
    Show the associates not just management how much you appreciate their efforts. Bonuses and merit increases are an insult
    Look at re-evaluating how managers performance is measured. Employees should have a way to provide feedback on their managers. Associates are constantly put under a microscope why isn't management?
    Invest in additional resources in all areas, specifically IT and Implementation so the workload is balanced and people do not get burned out quickly.
    Improve the existing products that clients are contracted to use before investing in new ones without resources to support them
    Work on the culture. It is very negative. When an issue arises the emphasis should be on finding the root cause and fixing it as quickly as possible for the client instead of finding somebody to blame.
    You need to work hard to retain the talent you have. You should feel lucky to have such a talented and dedicated staff.
    Listen to the feedback of the associates who are working closely with the clients and are using the software daily.
    The recession is over you cannot continue to expect people to stay because of the fear of finding another job. More people will leave if changes are not made.

If you are into frustration, work here!!!!

I worked at RegEd full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most people are generally friendly

They have cake day every month.

That's about all I can think of.

Cons

Many executives including CEO J5 are sub par. I would estimate that J5 works possibly 4-5 days a month.

Salary and benefits are a joke. RegEd benefitted from the poor economy with many employees just needing any sort of employment. This company constantly loses employees to other companies that will pay its employees merely an average salary.

The technology that the company uses is also a joke. Simply opening Excel would push my computer to its breaking point. Certain departments evaluates employees by their overall efficiency yet provide them with tools that at best, work terribly.

An example of this brazen lack of technology was the fact that my computer did not have adobe on it. When I inquired about getting the program installed, I was told that the cost to do so would be too high. I never had adobe while I worked at Reged. Instead I was forced to log into a glitchy Remote Desktop when I absolutely had to use the program.

Training is non existent and most managers know less about the process than entry level employees.

This place will beat you down every moment you are there. It will teach you to appreciate the little things like it only taking 2 minutes for Microsoft word to open instead of 5.

Keep in mind that this is technically a "technology" company. Many of the computers still in use can almost legally vote.

Focus less on your bonuses and more on giving employees the tools to be successful.