Regal Beloit

Updated October 7, 2014
2.3

Regal Beloit CEO and Director Mark J. Gliebe
Mark J. Gliebe

Pros
  • The company has good people in many areas of the company (in 4 reviews)

• At plant level, good people to work with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance doesn't exist (in 3 reviews)

• The Lean Six Sigma group really has no idea what they are doing (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Electrical Engineering Co-op

Former Employee - Electrical Engineering Co-Op in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineering Co-Op in Springfield, MO

I worked at Regal Beloit as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, really helpful and considerate, I learned a great deal working with some of the older Engineers. The facility was extremely clean and all plant workers were super nice. Management is very open to new ideas and willing to take some risks to be innovative, we pretty much had the freedom to make up our own goals and pursue them at our own pace (within reason). Great exposure to manufacturing and working in an industrial setting. They put me up in a fully furnished apartment right next door to the facility, extremely convenient and really helped off set the low hourly wage.

Cons

The plant I was interning at announced it would be closing its doors 2 months into my Co-op (8 month internship). There seemed to be a lot of confusion and contradictory information going around as to who was supposed to be doing what. Perhaps I was just there at an especially tumultuous time.

Company growth.

Former Employee - Team Leader in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Regal Beloit full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The corporate strategy of "growth through acquisitions" has significantly improved the company's ability to restructure and focus on key products and customer requirements.

Cons

There can be some fragmenting of the corporate strategy if "acquired leadership" culture isn't in line with overall corporate objectives.

Weed out acquired leadership that doesn't fit the overall corporate strategy.

Old business w/o innovation

I worked at Regal Beloit

Pros

Business is steady with little surprises

Cons

Business are run like a 1980's with little modernization and innovation

A good learning experience for a college co-op.

Current Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Tipp City, OH
    Current Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Tipp City, OH

I have been working at Regal Beloit as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked on a variety of projects, ranging from troubleshooting and support during a product launch to created automated testing systems.

Cons

Lack of communication in general. Very little training to start with, and the whole start was a bit rocky to begin with. Issues with getting started (had to wait quite a while for general computer access).

Better communication is a must.

Production

I have been working at Regal Beloit full-time

Pros

Love it a lot. Great company

Cons

Nothing bad to say abut this company

Great

Some really good, some OK.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Regal Beloit full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Really nice opportunities to "own your business" and differentiate yourself from others at Regal.

Cons

The salaries are exceedingly depressed. I started my professional career at Regal and when I first left, I would have rated the company a 4-star. 6-9 months later, when I became aware of market-level salaries, I learned how low the salaries were and actually became quite offended.

Revolving Door

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager

I have been working at Regal Beloit full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company with more work than people = job security

Cons

No wok/life balance. Little opportunity for promotions

Start analyzing why turnover is so high

More than 15 years

Current Employee - Quality Management
    Current Employee - Quality Management

I have been working at Regal Beloit full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Financially stable, Up to date programs.

Cons

Moves to much production to low salary plants in Mexico. No loyalty to employees Salary is awful unless your in the corporate circle.

They are paying alot more money for the talent you have out there. You aren't taking a realistic view of salaries.

Good Engineering Division but Woefully Incompetent Administration

Former Employee - Senior Quality/Engineering Technician in Black River Falls, WI

I worked at Regal Beloit full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This company has no shortage of bright people working in it's engineering departments and quality departments. They really do want to design the best product out there, and strive to do. For the most part, they remain cheerful and upbeat in the face of even the greatest of challenges. Benefits were great.

Cons

Administration is a disaster. From middle management on up. In the plant I worked in, it was far more important that you hung out with the plant manager than be competent at your job. This was obvious by who was placed in charge of individual departments, many times it was people that were absolutely atrocious at managing work resources. People that were great leaders (as shown by noticeable increase in performance) were removed in favor of people that were friendly with the plant manager. What's worse, is that failure seemed to be rewarded, while achievement was seen as an attempt to upstage management.

Pay is below average in this field, and there isn't much chance of getting a raise. Because of the poor leadership problems, there are a lot of weekend work to do, because the people running the manufacturing departments are unfit to do so, and as a result will put friends in choice positions, rather than people who have the skills to do it.

The Lean Six Sigma group really has no idea what they are doing. I've been to two other companies that observe LSS and 5S practices, and nothing was as ridiculous as what these people call Six Sigma.

Stop putting people in leadership positions because you like them. Clean out the chaff, and get people in there that can actually manage people, who command respect, rather than people worried about whether or not their employees like them or not. Start rewarding achievement. Stop jumping on to every manufacturing fad that comes across.

Top Executive Leadership is great with the information presented to them.

Former Employee - Engineering and Business Manager in Beloit, WI
    Former Employee - Engineering and Business Manager in Beloit, WI

I worked at Regal Beloit full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Legacy Regal employess are great to work with - all looking and driving towards the big picture.

Cons

Alliances are segregated due to recent acquisitions. If your direct leadership is from an aquisition be prepared to fight/play the political game to gain support.

Training, if your lucky to be selected, is top notch.

Look at the attrition rates of legacy employees and do a root cause analysis.