Regal Entertainment

Updated December 16, 2014
3.1

Regal Entertainment CEO and Director Amy E. Miles
Amy E. Miles

Pros
  • Free movies, flexible schedule, time off as long as it isn't around the holidays (in 267 reviews)

• Free popcorn/drinks when working/on breaks (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff starts at minimum wage and annual salary increases are capped at 2 (in 45 reviews)

• Floor staff are hired on a seasonal basis so you can be let go at any time for no reason (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a good company to work for if you have a family or need job security

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Greenville, SC

I worked at Regal Entertainment part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free movies. Free popcorn and drinks while working. That's it.

Cons

Staff are underpaid and overworked. They never have enough cast members for busy times. Corporate office has no respect for cast members and treats everyone at the theatre level as clueless and disposable. In 2011 they downsized the company and laid off hundreds of workers (mostly part-time managers) under the disguise of demotions. Many full-time managers were also switched to part-time and lost their benefits. Managers with families to support were forced to work less hours and the only health insurance offered was bare minimum coverage that would run out if you had to make more than a few doctor's visits per year. Floor staff are hired on a seasonal basis so you can be let go at any time for no reason. Worker morale is low and chances for promotion beyond part-time associate manager are very slim. Working late hours is not good for family life.

Show more respect to your workers and offers some perks other than free movies (most people are sick of movies anyway after working a long shift there). Stop treating everyone below the GM as disposable.

Great place to work at :)

Current Employee - Usher in Fairbanks, AK
    Current Employee - Usher in Fairbanks, AK

I have been working at Regal Entertainment part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Wages, Clean, Cool co-workers, company values, free popcorn

Cons

Smell of popcorn, people constantly spill popcorn and drinks, sometimes it can be really stressful.

Be nice to all of your employees :)

A rewarding yet fun job thanks to an awesome General Manager

Current Employee - Part Time Associate Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Part Time Associate Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Regal Entertainment part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free movie tickets were the biggest plus, fun place to work, awesome management

Cons

Late hours, which is typical in the movie theater business, very young and immature staff (also typical in the movie theater business), working with greasy food

Good

I worked at Regal Entertainment

Pros

They do a good job with your job, they employ you and give you money when you need it.

Cons

It is a retail job so you might not like it so much. It is for some people but not for all people.

Overall Terrible Experience

Former Employee - Floor Staff (Box Office Cashier, Concessions, and Usher) in Albany, NY

I worked at Regal Entertainment part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only good thing about this job is the free movies

Cons

Awful Management
    Employees treated like garbage

No satisfaction, or: my three years as a modern day corporate slave

Former Employee - Floor Staff (Box Office Cashier, Concessions, and Usher)
    Former Employee - Floor Staff (Box Office Cashier, Concessions, and Usher)

I worked at Regal Entertainment part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

GM was a good woman, worked her butt off with little leeway from the disconnected corporate slave drivers. Most employees were decent to work with, free movies (when management didn't make you feel like you were a huge inconvenience) and used to be free soda and popcorn (but that was taken away without warning).

Cons

Here we go. I quit this job, mid-shift, when no one else was there to close but the managers. I didn't care at that point. Policy changes were sudden and unexplained, you were just expected to say yes to your master and never disobey. Working with some high school kids was HORRIBLE when management would listen to your complaints, tell you they understand and proceed to punish everyone for one or two co-workers' laziness. Hours were terrible (I had to get a second job) and sometimes I would work without even a small break. Employees get sent home early without warning, sometimes leaving only one person to close for the night. Customers were sometimes so rude and disruptive and all the managers are taught to do is apologize and placate them as if you were the rude one.

I was never once late for work, never called in, never needed someone to cover a shift and I was given as many crap hours as possible because they knew I would show up. That's not really the way to show appreciation for hard work.

On the rare occasion that a regional or corporate boss would show up, they didn't seem to care about how crappy the building looked, just that you didn't do or say exactly what they expected from you (even if you have no idea what that is supposed to be). Some training was so shoddy that older employees were left to clean up the mess, sometimes managers would disappear for an hour or two at a time and not come out to help or send someone to help even if you were backed up and customers were getting cranky.

I actually applied to be a manager (slightly less crappy pay, same hours and more work for no reward) and changed my mind as soon as the interview was over. My GM understood, but I can't say I wouldn't have quit the same way even if I did get promoted.

The corporation is so disconnected from their actual business that this company would burn to the ground without lowly workers with slave wages to clean up the mess.

Appreciate your employees. Paying the CEO for doing nothing instead of giving your most important workers benefits should be illegal. Get on the same page. You can't have two managers saying two different things and expect employees to know which is right.

I worked at Regal Entertainment

Pros

Free movies. Discount on the good there.

Cons

Managers don't care about situations, they make you do abnormal things that many people wouldn't do. There rude to you , and bully new employees it's almost like high school .

Maybe if you actually listen, or treated your employees better you wouldn't be needing more people to hire and people wouldn't quit after 2 weeks there.

Meh company, way to strict corporately, personal opinion of managers can completely control job advancement.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newnan, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newnan, GA

I worked at Regal Entertainment part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free movies, not especially hard work and there is a decent amount of variety. Keeps you busy on the weekends buyt the week days are relaxed.

Cons

Very strict corporate environment not much room for going out of the box. Advancement is not performance based but opinion based, some people can be stuck in a position even if they shouldn't be. Hours are all weekend nights mostly.

Be more stringent with managers about following advancement based off performance, it was sad to see some people be stuck simply because a manager did not like them.

Fine for Highschoolers

Current Employee - Full Time Associate Manager
    Current Employee - Full Time Associate Manager

I have been working at Regal Entertainment full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very good for a highschooler looking for a first job, can typically cater to a high schoolers needs. Good First Job. Would recommend to someone looking to save for college, but not much more beyond that.

Cons

No room to advance. Between petty workplace politics, and management staying put in positions for 10+ years, it is very difficult to seek promotion. One of the only companys to my knowledge to contain an entirely female HR staff. An HR staff that can ultimately decide your fate with the company, this can become very unfair. There is no regulation between policies, as GMs all have their own version of how to handle policies. Making it okay for some employees to break a rule, and others to be terminated for the same rule. Most of the time, decisions are made within this company without the best interest of the lower level employees at hand. Members of management work for many years only to stay just above minimum wage.

Seasonal employment during college breaks

I worked at Regal Entertainment

Pros

Free movies; good group of people I worked with

Cons

No real advancement...it's retail ultimately

Regal Entertainment Photos