Regence BlueShield Reviews

27 reviews filtered by
3.2
Jonathan Hensley

1. OK Company to work for

I worked at Regence BlueShield full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is pretty comparable to other companies in this field. Benefits are good (Med, dent, leave time, 401K, paid Holidays)

Cons

Lay offs every year, sometimes twice a year. You never know when your going to get laid off. High stress

Advice to Management

Give your employees praise when they do a good job. I know it is part of the employees job to get their work done but sometimes it's nice to hear that you are doing a good job.

2. Decent company (Cambia/Regence) that is divided in to divisions, further in to small start up type companies.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Regence BlueShield

Pros

I work for one of the companies owned by cambia, Regence's holding company (small enough to not be listed in on GlassDoor).
    - The work is very interesting and challenging. My colleagues are amazingly talented, smart, hard working, and innovative people with a passion for improving health care decisions.
    - ability to work remote is personally a huge plus for me.
    - Hand-off management style and high degree of autonomy for professionally level employees , which is not necessarily common in the industry.

Cons

Lots of growth in my division, yet lots of vacant positions, as the jobs are specialized (and the salaries better elsewhere).

Advice to Management

Loosen the belt on salaries. Potential incentive pay at the end of the year is not competitive with other companies

3. A lesson in frustration, but ultimately just a rung in the ladder.

Current Employee - Senior Front End Web Designer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Front End Web Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Regence BlueShield full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Convenient downtown location, mostly good coworkers, fair salary, and a definite concern with helping people with their insurance needs and improving healthcare in general.

Cons

Management is the poster boy of the Peter Principle. Most managers shouldn't be in management because they tend to micromanage and not consider the bigger picture. Projects and entire departments are underfunded and the push for technology is for all the wrong reasons. Everyone working here who is good at their job ends up moving on, and what they have left are all the poor performers.

Advice to Management

It's pointless to evaluate an employees' performance when the same opportunity doesn't exist for staff to evaluate their manager, especially when they have a horrible manager. Poor performing employees aren't handled effectively to improve behavior, if handled at all. This results in lower overall moral.

5. No loyalty

Former Employee - Claims Analyst
    Former Employee - Claims Analyst

I worked at Regence BlueShield full-time

Pros

Coworkers were great, Superviser also great.

Cons

Job outsourced to India. Company stresses values then does the opposite.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

6. Good company but not what it use to be

I have been working at Regence BlueShield full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They believe in giving back to the community.
    Flexible schedules with the ability to work from home.

Cons

Lack of communication between departments as well as management which can make your job a challenge.
    Lack of training for new staff or for current employees, it's basically learn on the fly.
    Cut backs and not allowing departments to fill vacant positions leads to the remaining staff to pick up the difference which creates an impossible work load for those left.
    For a health insurance company the health benefit package isn't very good. High employee contribution and even higher deductibles.
    Due to changes in the direction of the company we aren't able to provide the same level of service to both providers and members that we have always been known for. It is just very frustrating.

7. Of four internships, this one was by far the best use of my time and talents!

Former Intern - Community and Business Relations in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Community and Business Relations in Seattle, WA

I worked at Regence BlueShield as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

People are considerate, intelligent, and prepared to train interns. The pay for interns is competitive and beats the pay of many major Seattle-based companies. I worked directly with leadership from all kinds of departments, and a few were very willing to connect me with their networks. Great opportunities for me overall. My only regret is that they couldn't get the budget to hire me full time!

Cons

Very traditional office culture! It's a cubicle village, so be prepared for such a setting. Sales is the thing that matters most here, and I faintly picked up on a morale problem among the non-sales employees.

8. Worked as a contractor for couple of months

Former Contractor - Systems Analyst in Tacoma, WA
    Former Contractor - Systems Analyst in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Regence BlueShield as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great team members and good work culture

Cons

More introspection about the quality of work by employees.

Advice to Management

Give opportunity for contractors to work with the company.

Long term Career

I worked at Regence BlueShield

Pros

Great training, benefits package, daycare, compensation is pretty competitive

Cons

Telling people who are dying that we are not going to cover their Chemo treatment wears on your soul.

10. A swiftly changing culture as it leaves old processes behind. Every Department was rapidly changing.

Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Regence BlueShield full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a Sales Account Manager I enjoyed great bonuses and great opportunities to help and educate the community. The pace of work was steady- not stressful- marketing is always working contracts 3 months in advance, so there are generally no fires to put out, unless we were preparing for a renewal meeting and putting informational packets together too late. It was a very process oriented environment which I enjoyed.

Cons

The benefit package was NOT that great for being an insurance carrier themselves. Our employee premium contribution was really high, the family health ins. premium deduction was crazy. I had to chose a Catastrophic type policy that basically covered you in an accident or emergency but not preventive care- it was the only premium I could afford!

Advice to Management

Inconsistencies in corporate attitudes and priorities between Regional and local Management Teams were like oil and water. Regional Mgmt, attitudes reflect "heads will roll!" attitude of change and stopped Local office sales bonuses in order to flex & leverage their corporate control over the local office. Sales Team thought maybe there was a computer glitch the day the bonuses were to arrive, but they never did arrive ~! The Regional guy in charge sends a message for the local Managers to deliver to the team "You guys don't deserve a bonus", and kept it. There must be a less aggressive way to have two upper Management Teams work out their differences than de-incentivising the Sales and Marketing Team (whom after all, brings in the business that pays their salaries too!)

11. Skeleton crews, like all insurance companies nowadays.

Former Employee - Nurse Auditor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Nurse Auditor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Regence BlueShield full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company gives profit sharing to all employees

Cons

Skeleton crews
    Works salary people to death
    Typical management style is threatening and yelling, as though that will make you go faster
    Factory Nursing/Production Nursing
    Given the workload for 3 people
    Worked 14+ hours a day; 5 days a week, on salary

I would not recommend a nurse work for ANY insurance company today. Looking at the reviews for other insurance companies, the salaried nurses all say the same thing. No longer are salaried people expected to "put in a little overtime"; they are now expected to do double shifts. For free. You are given a workload that cannot be done in eight hours. Managers are super stressed as well, and take it out on you.

My previous job to this one was an audit-for-hire company that performed audits FOR insurance companies. They had us nurses working 14-16 hours a day, 5 days a week, for a mere $50K. We nurses would call each other crying, needing a pep talk from each other to keep going. We couldn't quit because we knew there were no jobs. The same crying went on at Regence as well. These companies know the jobs are scarce, so they are abusing us. $50K is 90's wages for a nurse, (unless you live in a small southern town)..... So, I recommend getting out of nursing, unless you are happy in hourly patient care.

I also priced home health and case management jobs, which used to be lucrative when paid by the visit or hour. Now, upon reading those reviews, and going on some interviews, I see that home health and case management are now paying salary and giving their people workloads that required they work double shifts as well. This is industry wide. Next....look for PATIENT CARE jobs to be made salary so they can work you double shifts too. I'm done with nursing. I refuse to take a $30K cut in salary. Bring on the nursing shortage!!!!!

Advice to Management

Funny....