Regence

Add Photos

Regence President and CEO Mark B. Ganz

Mark B. Ganz

wsdfsd

Proswork-life balance, personel growth empowerment technical knowledge

Consgoals are not clear dev managers are not very efficient leader are very transaction in nature

Okay pay and benefits. Opportunities are good.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsNice cafeteria with subsidized meals.

ConsWeak middle management, especially in Financial Accounting and Reporting department. They promoted a new guy to manager with only 4 years of experience. It is terrible and his bosses do not help him out. He has had near 100% turnover and mgmt still does not do anything about it. This is an example of what middle mgmt values.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management is great. Director level and down is weak.

Overall a good company trying to make a positive change in the industry but still with its faults.

Anonymous (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsYou get a flexible work schedule at Regence. You also have work from home options which is nice. The company is trying to make a genuine change within the health insur industry, making costs transparent for the customer.

ConsThere are a lot of silos at Regence. It makes it hard a lot of times to get things done when some areas don't really care about helping others.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport the staff. It's nice to feel like your manager has your back, but sometimes that's not the case.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Group Accounting BCBSO

Lead Operations II (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsLearn atmosphere, great people and lots of opportunity for advancement

ConsLocation was too far to commute once I moved out of metro area.

Although my department and position was secure, the atmosphere was dense due to mass firing emails to send work abroad.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsFlexible work schedule with work from home option. My department did not have a micro-manager like many others. However, my position was not data entry measurable.

ConsIt was unsettling to have friends and family call to see if I was one of the people laid off after multiple newspaper articles and also to hear of contacts in other departments receiving news that they lost their job to cheap, inefficient overseas labor via email.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company desperately needs a complete re-organization. I worked there for just over a year and have been gone for almost two and I hear from former colleagues that issues I raised are still unresolved due to too many 'chiefs'.

Environment is LOVE LESS

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRemote working. Good 401k benefits

ConsI was working for about 2 years in IT development, very discriminating env, it's a master servant work env. Managers, leads worked as dev's got promoted. So they don't accept new ideas and suppress you. Very egoist env. There is no dedicated scrum master, only leads are SM which puts lot of work load and pressure.
    In a period of 6 months 3 out of 5 FT' s resigned, yet the MGM is not ready to accept that lead is a failure.

Advice to Senior ManagementReach out to bottom level employee not by survey, too much power to manager.

Culture of fear

Marketing (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsCompetitive pay, decent work-life balance

ConsNo leadership, just management
    No internal growth opportunities, always hiring from the outside
    Too many cronies
    Culture of fear, everyone is always on edge. If you challenge management you will be fired
    No long term strategy. Upper management changes direction on a whim
    Board of Directors has lost control and just "mails it in"
    No professional growth

Advice to Senior ManagementDoesn't matter what advice is given, it's all ignored

learned a lot of new job skills

Wellness Coordinator (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Prosgood systems in place, progressive, very much into health and wellness of employees

Consposition was eliminated among 1500 other lay offs - no job security

Excellent company in the trenches but middle management has gone through a lot of churn and direction change.

IT Staff Consultant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe people I work with are fantastic. My lead and my manager are excellent people that actually care about my work and my performance. I actually learn things from my co-workers.

Being able to work remotely has greatly reduced my stress; it's amazing how much having a 50m commute helps my day.

My compensation package is very nice. I once had a friend ask me if he could marry me so he could have my dental benefits.

We're finally getting onto modern software platforms but this is a pretty recent thing.

ConsThe right hand never seems to know what the left hand is doing. The communications problems have been rampant ever since I started here. The dev groups need to communicate with themselves much more.

We finally have enough people to manage our workload but that's only a very recent thing. For most of my time here, it's been a challenge just to keep from going backwards. Hopefully this more normal workload will stay but I don't have confidence it will.

There's been much churn in upper management. We've been through several managers and several directors in the last few years. This means there is a lack of direction and it's a killer sometimes.

We have a variety of useless privacy & ethics compliance that we have to go through. It's really endemic of the healthcare industry but it's still annoying when I have much better things to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou might think that dev groups are talking to each other but they aren't. Get enough management or leads or scrum masters in there and have them talk with each other. One group shouldn't be telling ops to take down an environment while another group is actively using it for testing.

Not a happy place

Medical Claims Supervisor (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Prosgood benefits. flexible work schedule for non-mgmt. Telecommuting not just available, but promoted. Pay was reasonable, but not worth the stress and headaches.

Consfrequent turnover. Management allowed to treat employees badly. Chaotic work environment (working off 6 claims systems). Downtown offices, but no paid parking for anyone but managment.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch middle management with frequent turnover - there is a reason people are leaving

Worked for Regence? Contribute to the Community!