Regence Reviews

59 reviews filtered by
2.9
Regence President and CEO Mark B. Ganz
Mark B. Ganz

Pros
  • Chances for growth, decent wages, good benefits, casual office setting, gym (in 6 reviews)

• You also have work from home options which is nice (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They talk about work/life balance but only if it doesn't interfere with work (in 4 reviews)

• Middle management is a living example of the Peter Principal (in 4 reviews)

1. It has been a great experience.

I have been working at Regence

Pros

Great team environment. I am not sure whether this true for all departments but everyone works hard and supports each other. I have never been at a company with such great people.

Cons

Going through a lot of changes. A lot of great employees are hired as contractors. Unfortunately, the company is loosing a lot of talent not keeping them.

More transparency to ease the changes that are happenning. More full time opportunities. Resolve the disconnection between the departments.

2. Very bureaucratic, lots of good folks but senior management lacks vision

I have been working at Regence

Pros

Compensation, downtown location, rapidly changing industry

Cons

Bureaucratic, lots of politics, slow to react

Listen to the employees more, promote strong performers before you lose them.

3. It's a great internship program, with lots of opportunities to learn and gain experience.

Current Intern - Marketing Intern in Portland, OR
    Current Intern - Marketing Intern in Portland, OR

I have been working at Regence as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Employees are treated great, and it's a great environment to work in. I've done many internships before, but this one takes the cake. Upper management is so eager to teach, and help the interns gain more experience.

The pay is very competitive.

Cons

The only con is that there aren't a lot of opportunities to be hired on after an internship. They start off your orientation with a statistic about interns that get hired on after their internship is over, but I don't know how that can be true. There were about 40 interns when I started, and I've only known two to get hired on.

Quick to react, slow to decide

Current Employee - Population Health Consultant in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Population Health Consultant in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Regence full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, overall great company philospophy

Cons

Very disorganized and little collaboration between departments

Work at utilizing resources within all departments to complete cross functional tasks

Wonderful place with even more wonderful people!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Burlington, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Burlington, WA

I have been working at Regence full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits.....401K match! Relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

Work life balance could be better.

Just because it's always the way it's been done doesn't make it the best way.

It's okay

I have been working at Regence

Pros

Pretty relaxed most of the fine

Cons

Upper management not so good

Strategic Finance department is a complete mess

Former Employee - Lead Senior Financial Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Lead Senior Financial Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at Regence full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good salary for the Portland market. Good bonus (targeted at 15% for Sr. Analyst and goes up from there). Good 401k Match plus an extra 5% 401k contribution usually paid out annually. Strangely, or maybe no so surprisingly, only decent medical coverage for a health insurance company (?).

Cons

Finance management is incompetent and unethical. They are focused on office politics and preserving their cushy jobs over actually safeguarding the assets of the company, so their decisions are obtuse and as a result they have no legitimacy in the eyes of finance employees. Politics informs everything finance management does. They do not seem to have any finance or management training as they don't understand basic finance concepts nor basics of managing people. They refer to people as "human capital" to their faces. As a common practice they choose favorites among the analysts and since they don't recognize they have a management problem, if you're not among the chosen you are like sheep waiting for slaughter - they will throw you under the bus first opportunity they have in order to cover their own hides. Don't expect to have clear roles and responsibilities (another management 101...) as since you are "human cattle", oh, I mean "human capital", you are expected to do whatever they want you to do regardless of your skills and experience. As a result you have very qualified people doing menial work. Cambia, like other health insurance companies, likes to talk about how it's a non-profit as if it's some sort of noble thing. In practice, what that means is 1) pay out exorbitant sums to the executives in their wood-paneled offices and white linen service, while the peons downstairs don't even have coffee or sinks in which to wash their dishes, and 2) they make lots of highly questionable investments in other companies and "startups" - they have to get rid of those profits somehow! So they make just as much profit as a for-profit company they just distribute it differently. The CEO summed it up their mindset when he said "we are a non-profit, not a charity". Half of the workforce is paid to find creative ways to deny claims for sometimes trivial or technical reasons. So for all their talk about the "member experience" they are just trying to screw over members and providers as much as possible. It's hard to stomach this industry if you have any integrity. To summarize, I would just say this place is NOT worth the money and once you get the lay of the land you will dread walking into the office every day.

Clean house in finance management. There are a number of very good managers in the department that have what it takes and would do great things if they had better leadership.

9. Great experience and good work culture!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Regence

Pros

Cambia embodies a strong work culture that values each employee and offers a reasonably strong work/life balance. They offer great benefits and the employees are all welcoming and intelligent. Management is strong and team work is a big part of everyday work. Good onsite amenities like cafeteria, gym, and healthy food options.

Cons

Small conflicts occasionally arise between departments. A lot of shifting appears to occur in middle management.

10. Good ethical company. Overall nice place to work.

Current Employee - IT Professional in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Regence full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Telecommute friendly
    Company seems to genuinely want to change the face of healthcare
    Like most large companies your experience will vary greatly depending on what division you end up working in.

Cons

Layoffs at least once a year
    There is a numbers game being played around you by upper management which detracts from getting work done
    Technologies are outdated

Don't rely so heavily on report metrics to determine what work has been delivered. Also, don't be afraid in investing in existing infrastructure. Projects work is not the only type of work that brings value to the company.

11. Contract worker

Current Employee - Agency Contractor in Burlington, WA
    Current Employee - Agency Contractor in Burlington, WA

I have been working at Regence full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, considerate people, nice work environment. Onsite gym is nice.

Cons

Wage not great. There is no smoking on property, I don't smoke, so no skin off my nose. However, all the smokers gather at one spot on sidewalk next to building. It looks bad, as it is the first impression I ever had of the company. Also us non-smokers who chose to walk during break have to walk through the smoke cloud.

Create a hid-away smoke area, that is convenient for the smokers, yet out of site of the general public.