Regional Economic Models

Frederick Treyz

Great Opportunity to Involved in Policy and the Big Picture

Current Employee - Associate Economist in Amherst, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Economist in Amherst, MA

I have been working at Regional Economic Models full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunity for people that are motivated and want to advance in the policy arena. Work is never boring with a good sense of satisfaction knowing your work is help good discussion making in government. Management allows employees to have a lot of responsibility within their position. Company values and rewards self motivators.

Cons

Not for people interested in hiding in big companies.

Make sure you find the right type of employees for your positions because not all people are comfortable with taking charge of their own careers.

Under no circumstances should you actually accept a job offer with this dumpster fire of a company.

I worked at Regional Economic Models

Pros

There is nothing remotely positive about this ultimately unnecessary company when compared to the immense onslaught of negatives.

Cons

I honestly don't know where to even start the discussion of cons here, so I guess I'll just start from the beginning of your potential start at REMI. When you begin, you'll be unknowingly thrown into a weird competition with other people you started with and quickly realize that there aren't as many jobs to go around for all of the new hires. It's basically Office Space meets Hunger Games. This would be bad enough if they only hired local college grads, but they like to ship people in from all over the United States to unknowingly compete for a job they had been led to believe they were already given.

If you happen to be one of the few who make it past the initial reaping, you'll be subjected to nonstop harassment and insults until the day you quit or get fired. Management will taunt you, belittle you in front of your coworkers, threaten to not let you eat, blatantly gossip about you to your coworkers directly in front of you...the list really goes on and on.

Your job title will probably be some form of "economist," but make no mistake, you won't be doing a shred of economic analysis. No, your days will be spent randomly cold calling regional bureaucrats throughout the United States who have next to no interest in actually talking to you, all while trying to get them to attend some seminar in scenic Hartford or Sacramento. This is a brutal sales position that borrows more from Al's Used Phones and Radios Definitely Not Stolen From Cars Emporium than McKinsey or an actual respectable firm in the consulting industry.

You will receive no training. You will receive no feedback. You won't even really have any idea what you're supposed to be doing. The only reason this company is remotely profitable is that it's one of two firms in the entire United States that participates in this specialized field. This measly profit margin is just big enough to inflate the ego of management, but just small enough to prevent any of it from trickling down to the lower-level associates.

Now that I've fleshed out the narrative, I'll just go to bullet points of real things that actually happened while I worked at this company for years. These are all true stories:

-Remember that episode of The Office where Michael Scott has to fire somebody, but he is too afraid to and ends up waiting until right before the staff Halloween Party to do it, so everyone just stares glumly at each other in their now entirely inappropriate costumes while fully knowing someone just lost their livelihood? Yeah, this actually happened at REMI my first year there. Literally a shot-for-shot remake.

-At our quasi-mandatory Christmas Party, the CEO berated us for not being on the road selling things for him at that exact moment.

-Two years ago they decided to fire about 20% of the Amherst office. Instead of just doing it all at once to minimize the pain, management picked one new person to fire every day and spread it out over a full week.

This probably sounds like the rant of a disgruntled former employee, but honestly, it's simply my plea to the uninformed out there who may be considering accepting a job at this company. Please, stay away. This company will undoubtedly make your life significantly worse and offers absolutely nothing positive to offset the misery. You'll be misled, lied to, belittled and devalued, and you'll leave the experience with nothing to show but a slightly above average resume boost.

Advice for the hopeless is music for the deaf.

I really want to love this company.

Current Employee - Business Development Assistant in Amherst, MA
    Current Employee - Business Development Assistant in Amherst, MA

I have been working at Regional Economic Models as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Steady schedule, decent pay for the work involved, easy to shine if you put in a moderate amount of effort, really nice coworkers. I'm beginning to enjoy coming to work every day, and I hope to stick around. The company is growing in a very refreshing way. It's also in a great location for those who live in Amherst or South Amherst.

Cons

It is frightening to know that our entire department is turned over multiple times per year. There isn't really a reason for it, other than the fact that the company is addicted to using temp agencies. When I first started, our department was constantly being antagonized by other departments because none of us knew what we were doing and were constantly messing things up. Records indicate that this has been the case for years.

Fred, if you hire the people who work for you, you won't have to spend so much money training people who do not care about your company! Keep those who care, trust that we are doing our best, and we will reward you with a solid bottom line.

Advice to people who (inevitably) wander into my position via a temp agency: It is *not* telemarketing. Don't treat it that way. Our economists are presenting legitimate research with valuable research tools, and we are *inviting* people to see those presentations. If you think of it from that perspective, you will be more successful.

Get in, get out

Former Employee - Associate Economist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate Economist in Washington, DC

I worked at Regional Economic Models full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can make many contacts in the state and local policy arena. You can improve your understanding of regional economic policy. You can learn how to manage awful management. You can even make good money, though this isn't likely. Many of those I worked with went on to reputable firms as consultants or analysts; McKinsey, KPMG, Parsons Brinckerhoff; PhD programs and other great jobs.

Cons

Of the 11 people that started over the time that I was there, 5 were fired, 6 quit, and 1 remained after 2 years.

It's a vitriolic, sales-based environment that will decrease the quality of your life. Proceed with caution.

Sell the company to competent investors and allow this company to realize its full potential.

Making a difference in a small team

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Amherst, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Amherst, MA

I have been working at Regional Economic Models full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You are part of a small team, where your opinion matters. Not a lot of hierarchy in the company, which means I have a lot of freedom setting my acitivities and expressing my creativity, and I don't experience back-biting. It is a small company, everyone knows each other personally, that leads to human connections and more freedom in scheduling.

Cons

The two main departments are not connected to each other seamlessly. The lack of hierarchy also can be perceived as no room for advancement. But while my title is the same I got when I started, I constantly get to shape my work activity, choose between tasks, learn new things. One must be motivated and creative to enjoy working here.

I have seen management to improve over the years. I don't experience micro-management any more, and employee turnover slowed down a lot as well, which means we are in general more skilled and spend less time training new people. It would be helpful to have better departmental connections, maybe a new hire who is the go-between person, because this way a lot of know-how gets lost and customers may not be served as well.

Worst company I have ever worked for.

Former Employee - Assistant Economist in Amherst, MA

I worked at Regional Economic Models full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can develop a large network of contacts in economic consulting. Can be a decent spring board to something better if you can put up with the place for a year.

Cons

CEO micromanaged everything. As others have said, the environment is very toxic thanks to terrible leadership at the top. Extremely high turnover.

Hire an MBA to run the company and sit bak and enjoy your cash cow.

Solid resume job, but it is a high-stress work environment without much opportunity for advancement.

Former Employee - Assistant Economist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Assistant Economist in Washington, DC

I worked at Regional Economic Models full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The clients are all very interesting people. If you are into economic policy, you will get to talk to a lot of people that do some pretty interesting things. Associates get to travel a lot and if you are doing a good job, you have some flexibility with your work schedule.

Cons

The CEO is really difficult to work for. You will probably be lied to and yelled at, and the salary is not worth it. Put in your year or two and move on.

Treat your employees like people and they might be more productive.

Micromanagement, Total Culture Failure

Former Employee - Economist in Amherst, MA
    Former Employee - Economist in Amherst, MA

I worked at Regional Economic Models full-time

Pros

fancy title, lots of travel, get to work with brilliant people. Phenomenal opportunity to practice compartmentalization of work-life and skills in patience.

Cons

This is an office so small-minded and insane that the approval rating is historically low for a firm that isn't a sweatshop or a meat-packing plant. There is a systemic and complete lack of regard for employee satisfaction, and it's by the saving grace of being a small blip of a company that there hasn't been a crippling external ethical review of senior management.

You have wonderful, intelligent people working for you - use them! Also, banning time off for the entire Fall is insane and not real outside of REMI. This is a great example of a policy that creates turnover (and the negative Glassdoor reviews!).

Bad

Former Employee - Assistant Economist in Amherst, MA

I worked at Regional Economic Models full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing about this company is good.

Cons

Constantly cold calling people who do not want to be called. FYI any good review on this site is by the desperate CEO trying to lure people into REMI. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. High turn over rate, constant hire and fire mentality.

Actually train people to do their work.

Interesting Line of Business. Highly Sales Driven

Former Employee - Researcher
    Former Employee - Researcher

I worked at Regional Economic Models part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You gain exposure to ecnomics models, which are created by primarily 2 other companies in the US.

Cons

Highly sales driven, with little room for employee's professional development

Invest in actual HR policies