Regional Economic Models Reviews

1. Economic Associate

Former Employee - Economic Associate in Amherst, MA
    Former Employee - Economic Associate in Amherst, MA

I worked at Regional Economic Models

Pros

Meaningful work, Great Colleagues, Good Pay, Your intelligence matters.

Cons

Lots of work at times and always busy.

Advice to Management

Make sure you hire employees that can handle the work.

Excellent company to work for if you are willing to challenge yourself and learn.

Former Employee - Senior Economic Associate in Amherst, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Economic Associate in Amherst, MA

I worked at Regional Economic Models full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful senior management (CEO, Senior and Junior Vice Presidents); client management and relationship building skills you will learn nowhere else; analytical skills you will learn; world knowledge of structural economies across North America and Europe; excellent pay if you put time and effort in; top fringe benefits; very respectable firm in this niche; clear career path in terms of job functions, titles, and pay.

Highly recommended to those who are willing to put the effort in (lazy people and gossip queens need not apply, it brings everyone else down and you end up writing a bad review of the company :p ). I should note along these lines that the hours and effort are average for this job across any other job. If you want to go the extra mile, try learning the model and the model equations AFTER work so that you can excel in your daily work and ultimately become more successful.

Cons

Some employees get jealous of others due to advancement or for other reasons. Some new economists/associates think that they can operate a research firm better than the very experienced management which is not the case.

If you are positive, hard working, and trust your supervisors and management, you will do very well. Just as with any company, not every is willing to do this for some reason. With a small company, these people stick out among management as well as their peers and it usually doesn't work out for them.

It's probably hard for some people to understand, but this is a small private and for profit business. If people are not doing their jobs and who are not looking for productive things to do when their immediate tasks are complete, the rest of the company and it's employees suffer.

OVERALL: be positive, work hard, trust management, don't gossip about management or peers, and this will be the best experience you could ask for (just as with college, I wish I could go back in time!). Just as with anything, it is what you make of it.

Advice to Management

Continue giving your employees great opportunities for career growth, success, ability to make it their own, and trust (for those who have earned it of course).

Continue working closely with employees through training and on individual projects/relationships . You know more about how to close new business than anyone else, doesn't matter if employees want to close it on their own (unless they have gained experience in doing so which I know you can see and extend that trust under the circumstances).

Keep doing great, the company had grown every year I had been with the company, I don't doubt that you will keep it moving up!

DON'T MIND THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS ON THIS PAGE, YOU AND I PRETTY MUCH HAVE A GOOD IDEA OF WHO THEY ARE ;)

Also wanted to say thanks for the great opportunity you had given me and it was great working with you all those years. My career at REMI trained me and launched me into a lucrative career in another industry.

This is the worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amherst, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amherst, MA

I worked at Regional Economic Models full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't recommend anything about this company to anyone. Some of the people here are good on their own but overall working here is just an awful experience. I'm glad I left.

Cons

** The CEO of this company has gone around the company telling current employees to write positive Glassdoor reviews in an attempt to "fix" the company's reputation here. **

The CEO trusts no one and micromanages everything, which doesn't work well. He yells at his own people and thinks that this is how you display leadership. He randomly hires handfuls of employees at a time and then starts firing them when he realizes he has too many employees - another review mentioned a Hunger Games style competition for a job you already have and I can back this up, I watched it happen. He charges into meetings with clients and demands more money for no particular reason, and has a habit of barging in at the end of negotiations and ruining the sale. Yelling louder and listening less is a good summary of his style - I've seen him ignore valid points made by other people and just yell his own point louder and louder until everyone else gives up. He also can't see the long-term. If something will make him a million dollars three years from now or a hundred thousand tomorrow, he'll pick the hundred thousand now.He has literally screwed himself and the company out of tens of millions of dollars this way.

The rest of the place is a mess. Overall people are just worn down by the CEO. The economists do whatever they want with no repercussions, because management refuses to lay down any sort of discipline besides screaming and firing. The marketing department is largely untrained and has no actual marketing education , so a lot of work comes down to guessing what to do and not having a plan at all. Human resources tries to micromanage almost as much as the CEO and involve themselves in everything even down to IT decisions that have nothing to do with them. The clerical/reception staff is incompetent and has no people skills at all. I don't know why they're the first people you see when you walk in the door. The software development team is largely standoffish and doesn't want to do anything outside their normal work, especially talking to people on the phone or changing established procedures

Advice to Management

Quit and give the company to someone who can run it. Or just hire a real business manager and let that person run the company while you set back and enjoy the money. Treat your employees like real people and not like dogs. Pay them a decent wage, stop trying to mandate when they can have time off, and stop screaming at them for your own mistakes.

Under no circumstances should you actually accept a job offer with this dumpster fire of a company.

I worked at Regional Economic Models

Pros

There is nothing remotely positive about this ultimately unnecessary company when compared to the immense onslaught of negatives.

Cons

I honestly don't know where to even start the discussion of cons here, so I guess I'll just start from the beginning of your potential start at REMI. When you begin, you'll be unknowingly thrown into a weird competition with other people you started with and quickly realize that there aren't as many jobs to go around for all of the new hires. It's basically Office Space meets Hunger Games. This would be bad enough if they only hired local college grads, but they like to ship people in from all over the United States to unknowingly compete for a job they had been led to believe they were already given.

If you happen to be one of the few who make it past the initial reaping, you'll be subjected to nonstop harassment and insults until the day you quit or get fired. Management will taunt you, belittle you in front of your coworkers, threaten to not let you eat, blatantly gossip about you to your coworkers directly in front of you...the list really goes on and on.

Your job title will probably be some form of "economist," but make no mistake, you won't be doing a shred of economic analysis. No, your days will be spent randomly cold calling regional bureaucrats throughout the United States who have next to no interest in actually talking to you, all while trying to get them to attend some seminar in scenic Hartford or Sacramento. This is a brutal sales position that borrows more from Al's Used Phones and Radios Definitely Not Stolen From Cars Emporium than McKinsey or an actual respectable firm in the consulting industry.

You will receive no training. You will receive no feedback. You won't even really have any idea what you're supposed to be doing. The only reason this company is remotely profitable is that it's one of two firms in the entire United States that participates in this specialized field. This measly profit margin is just big enough to inflate the ego of management, but just small enough to prevent any of it from trickling down to the lower-level associates.

Now that I've fleshed out the narrative, I'll just go to bullet points of real things that actually happened while I worked at this company for years. These are all true stories:

-Remember that episode of The Office where Michael Scott has to fire somebody, but he is too afraid to and ends up waiting until right before the staff Halloween Party to do it, so everyone just stares glumly at each other in their now entirely inappropriate costumes while fully knowing someone just lost their livelihood? Yeah, this actually happened at REMI my first year there. Literally a shot-for-shot remake.

-At our quasi-mandatory Christmas Party, the CEO berated us for not being on the road selling things for him at that exact moment.

-Two years ago they decided to fire about 20% of the Amherst office. Instead of just doing it all at once to minimize the pain, management picked one new person to fire every day and spread it out over a full week.

This probably sounds like the rant of a disgruntled former employee, but honestly, it's simply my plea to the uninformed out there who may be considering accepting a job at this company. Please, stay away. This company will undoubtedly make your life significantly worse and offers absolutely nothing positive to offset the misery. You'll be misled, lied to, belittled and devalued, and you'll leave the experience with nothing to show but a slightly above average resume boost.

Advice to Management

Advice for the hopeless is music for the deaf.

Making a difference in a small team

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Amherst, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Amherst, MA

I have been working at Regional Economic Models full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You are part of a small team, where your opinion matters. Not a lot of hierarchy in the company, which means I have a lot of freedom setting my acitivities and expressing my creativity, and I don't experience back-biting. It is a small company, everyone knows each other personally, that leads to human connections and more freedom in scheduling.

Cons

The two main departments are not connected to each other seamlessly. The lack of hierarchy also can be perceived as no room for advancement. But while my title is the same I got when I started, I constantly get to shape my work activity, choose between tasks, learn new things. One must be motivated and creative to enjoy working here.

Advice to Management

I have seen management to improve over the years. I don't experience micro-management any more, and employee turnover slowed down a lot as well, which means we are in general more skilled and spend less time training new people. It would be helpful to have better departmental connections, maybe a new hire who is the go-between person, because this way a lot of know-how gets lost and customers may not be served as well.

Get in, get out

Former Employee - Associate Economist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate Economist in Washington, DC

I worked at Regional Economic Models full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make many contacts in the state and local policy arena. You can improve your understanding of regional economic policy. You can learn how to manage awful management. You can even make good money, though this isn't likely. Many of those I worked with went on to reputable firms as consultants or analysts; McKinsey, KPMG, Parsons Brinckerhoff; PhD programs and other great jobs.

Cons

Of the 11 people that started over the time that I was there, 5 were fired, 6 quit, and 1 remained after 2 years.

It's a vitriolic, sales-based environment that will decrease the quality of your life. Proceed with caution.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to competent investors and allow this company to realize its full potential.

Worst company I have ever worked for.

Former Employee - Assistant Economist in Amherst, MA

I worked at Regional Economic Models full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can develop a large network of contacts in economic consulting. Can be a decent spring board to something better if you can put up with the place for a year.

Cons

CEO micromanaged everything. As others have said, the environment is very toxic thanks to terrible leadership at the top. Extremely high turnover.

Advice to Management

Hire an MBA to run the company and sit bak and enjoy your cash cow.

Solid resume job, but it is a high-stress work environment without much opportunity for advancement.

Former Employee - Assistant Economist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Assistant Economist in Washington, DC

I worked at Regional Economic Models full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The clients are all very interesting people. If you are into economic policy, you will get to talk to a lot of people that do some pretty interesting things. Associates get to travel a lot and if you are doing a good job, you have some flexibility with your work schedule.

Cons

The CEO is really difficult to work for. You will probably be lied to and yelled at, and the salary is not worth it. Put in your year or two and move on.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people and they might be more productive.

Micromanagement, Total Culture Failure

Former Employee - Economist in Amherst, MA
    Former Employee - Economist in Amherst, MA

I worked at Regional Economic Models full-time

Pros

fancy title, lots of travel, get to work with brilliant people. Phenomenal opportunity to practice compartmentalization of work-life and skills in patience.

Cons

This is an office so small-minded and insane that the approval rating is historically low for a firm that isn't a sweatshop or a meat-packing plant. There is a systemic and complete lack of regard for employee satisfaction, and it's by the saving grace of being a small blip of a company that there hasn't been a crippling external ethical review of senior management.

Advice to Management

You have wonderful, intelligent people working for you - use them! Also, banning time off for the entire Fall is insane and not real outside of REMI. This is a great example of a policy that creates turnover (and the negative Glassdoor reviews!).

Bad

Former Employee - Assistant Economist in Amherst, MA

I worked at Regional Economic Models full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing about this company is good.

Cons

Constantly cold calling people who do not want to be called. FYI any good review on this site is by the desperate CEO trying to lure people into REMI. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. High turn over rate, constant hire and fire mentality.

Advice to Management

Actually train people to do their work.

RSS Feed </> Embed