Regional Municipality of Waterloo

4.5

Regional Municipality of Waterloo Regional Chair Ken Seiling
Ken Seiling

Great place to work

Former Employee - Planner in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Planner in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Regional Municipality of Waterloo as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This place has amazing staff and management. I completed a placement with the Region and I was able to take on real responsibility even though u was just a student.

Cons

As with all bureaucracies it can sometimes take long to get approval on projects. But to eh honest this doesn't really affect you much because very often you may have multiple projects and therefore there's always something to do.

Keep up the excellent work

Top rate municipality, but lagging in compensation

Current Employee - Management/Management Support in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Management/Management Support in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Regional Municipality of Waterloo as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Dynamic, dedicated, well educated peers. Excellent training and management programs. Stimulating, complex work. Rewarding to help build and sustain meaningful change.

Cons

-You're probably going to have to work short contracts with continual extensions for years, potentially. Few people are hired full time permanent right off the bat. Low job security is stressful.

-The compensation is lower at the RoW compared with private sector or other municipalities. You have to really want to work locally or be happy with the potential stability and total compensation of public sector.

-The public sector can be a challenge. I can't even count how many times I've heard derisive comments about "wasting the tax payers' dollars" and other crap. We are paid less than the private sector and tolerate this because we are passionate about the community. Working in the private sector means you'll take far less crap from friends/peers/general public about compensation, training, benefits and the like.

Don't be paralyzed by council epicycles; this upcoming election cycle means a virtual budget freeze, meaning attrition rates that threaten the effective operation of the Regional Municipality.

Your compensation should match other municipalities. If I'm going to take crap from the public about being an over-paid public servant, I'd prefer to at least be over-paid; since I'm going to be yelled at either way...

Overall great place to work, relaxed atmosphere, good benefits, however slow pace/moving like most public jobs

Former Employee - Social Marketer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Social Marketer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Regional Municipality of Waterloo as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, competitive pay, relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Lack of performance measurement, and in some cases accountability

Environment is work friendly

I have been working at Regional Municipality of Waterloo part-time

Pros

flexibility and sharing, easy access to supervisor

Cons

too less scope to get hire from outside

Great opportunity as a student in co-op

Former Employee - Student Transit Planner in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Student Transit Planner in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I worked at Regional Municipality of Waterloo as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome work experience in the planning department. Full time employees are open to the inexperience of a student in university and offer challenging tasks appropriate to the competency level of the student. Great and interesting projects to work on. Would be a good employer for a career. Pay is very competitive.

Cons

The unity among co-op students is low. Very sectional and there's not much meshing of other sections.

Keep hiring students. They are the future and can only benefited from your mentorship.

Depends which department you work in and who's your boss...

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I worked at Regional Municipality of Waterloo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Can be an excellent place to work if you have a reasonable supervisor and co-workers.

Cons

It's the people that can make or break or work, not all departments are created equal.

stop micro managing, stop favouring, be reasonable, don't make assumptions, perceptions can be wrong.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Regional Municipality of Waterloo

Pros

You can work hard and really own a project. It is very easy to talk to people at different levels and in different groups to find the help and information you need.

Cons

Its frustrating because people who are really lazy don't get in trouble... EVER! And then people who do no work still have to be consulted. Am I a little bitter? Maybee. But cmon.... lazy people who get nothing done .... rage.

Good job guys. Management works really hard and knows lots about all their operations. Crack the whip a little more?

Good place for a long career!

Current Employee - Supervisor in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Regional Municipality of Waterloo

Pros

Benefits are excellent - some of the best going.
    Work hour flexibility with adequate time off when required.
    Tools to do the job are often provided, but they could do better embracing new technologies, especially in Waterloo Region.
    Compensation has been improving lately to be closer to that of similar municipalities.
    Good programs for employee health and wellness - including access to employee gyms with excellent equipment for cheaper than a commercial gym.
    OMERS retirement pension.
    Lots and lots of training.
    Good job security.

Cons

Sometimes takes a lot of time to get things through the system and get them accomplished.
    Sometimes seems staff at main office treated better than those offsite.

Provide more feedback to employees.