Regional News Network

Updated February 17, 2015
Updated February 17, 2015
2.3

Richard E. French, Jr.

For a changing industry where condensation of multiple diciplines is occuring id say they are on par.

I have been working at Regional News Network full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with (basically anyone with no "head of" or person in charge are all very noce. Respectful. Also they make the day go by with ease. Its not where a career should be focused but definately an amazing place to start.

Cons

Those not in the field seem to not understand what goes on. They may ask for things beyond the capability of the equipment provided ans expect you to just figure it out.

-Better communication between departments

-Better understanding of what goes on in the field from a station view.

This is a terrible place to work in any capacity

Former Employee - Editor
    Former Employee - Editor

I worked at Regional News Network

Pros

If you need a paycheck, that is slightly above minimum wage, then apply for the job Be warned that as soon as you walk into the door you will see every person employed at the station has an active resume out there, looking to get out of this terrible environment as fast as they can. The pro; is that if you have any talent, you will leave within 3 to six months for a better job Those that are still there are inept and inexperienced even after YEARS in the same role

Cons

Many of the "lifers" run the shop with no intention of changing it for the better. Management is not available for any interaction and subordinates are treated poorly. Those who are there longer than two years.....well, they have no skills to get out to a better position

Office culture is such that they offer pizza, free pizza every two weeks to staff. The managers believe it makes up for the lack of good salary and poor treatment of the people they employ. Take the pizza back and offer better wages to keep quality people.

HORRIBLE. If I could pick no stars, I would.

Former Employee - News Production in Rye Brook, NY
    Former Employee - News Production in Rye Brook, NY

I worked at Regional News Network full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a paycheck. The job is easy. Nothing too complicated when you have a news station run by people who don't understand the business.

Cons

I don't even know where to start. Let me just begin by saying that morale is so low, people don't do a good job because of it. There are such incompetent people who work here and somehow get promoted, meanwhile if you work hard and try to do a good job you're stuck in the same position for years, which let me add that being here longer than 6 months makes you a veteran employee. People leave immediately after starting after seeing how horrible it is.

Producers are basically behind the camera reporters, while the reporters are put on some twisted pedestal and treated like celebrities. Editors restore video all day long and manage media ... you know, like a media manager should.

RNN also has editors rip youtube videos on a daily basis without giving courtesy, then has them archive it as if it were their own media... and reuse it. Call me crazy, but that just seems slightly not okay. or legal.

SPEAKING OF THE EDITORS. They are people who can't handle stress, talk back to Producers, and generally sit around talking about one another or extremely inappropriate subjects for a workplace. Don't get me wrong, there are couple golden eggs, and trust me, those guys are way too talented to be at RNN.... but they are far outnumbered by the rotten, incompetent ones which unfortunately waste their time complaining all day.

Then you have the low pay. I get it. It's a local station. Salaries are never high in local news... but other local networks at least have their S%#T together. Just about everyone is salary, but works 6-7 days a week with no over time. RNN doesn't even pay time and a half for those who ARE hourly on holidays. HR literally laughs at the idea of getting holiday pay or time and a half on national holidays.

Did I mention every time I check who the HR manager is, it's a new person? Just look at the vacancies. RNN is always hiring because people realize how horrible it is here and leave immediately. See any vacancies open for months at a time? It's not a mistake, they can never just fully fill positions which is why they stay up.

The amount of gossip and tension between people is so unhealthy, its exhausting. People are constantly upset because of having to deal with such incompetent coworkers who constantly blame others for their mistakes. People are fixing one another's mistakes on a daily basis.

Not only that, but the equipment this company still uses is sub par and we are all expected to produce quality graphics and content with computers still running Photoshop CS4 and an edit program called dps velocity from 15 years ago.

Management doesn't CARE to fix any issues and is perfectly content with continuing this dysfunctional cycle of turnover because honestly, there's no changing this place. When/if this company ever went public, you'll see real changes... until then.... it will continue to be a nightmare.

Did you know that RNN is an ABC affiliate? NO? They're not? Someone should let them know because they keep bragging about it. The only affiliation they have to ABC is that they pay for a subscription video service (Pathfire) that ABC sells. THATS IT. They have no other ties. So if you interview and they tell you that, know they're full of CRAP. I know this because I was told this.

All in all, this feels like a college TV station because people are figuring things out as they go. I can't even recommend this as a good place to start because rookies will learn terrible habits that won't apply at any reputable news station.

Theres nothing I can say.

Okay starter company

I worked at Regional News Network full-time

Pros

Employees had a regular schedule, time off wasn't difficult to arrange, and mid-level staff and regular employees were generally friendly. Upper management and on-air personnel were well respected by senior management. Compensation and benefits were reasonable for the area. It's a decent place to start your career.

Cons

There wasn't much room for advancement. Some departments were more highly valued by upper management than others and turnover was high.

Unpleasant place to work for

I worked at Regional News Network

Pros

Very nice building with amenities second to none (if you get time to use them). The station also has a lot of new technology.

Cons

Management from the top down treats people poorly and they don't value hard work. It used to be a fairly good station to work for that did the right things until new management came in. They hire inexperienced people for low amounts of money who don't know what they're doing and don't properly train them. They also micromanage. Unless you're really in need of a job I'd avoid RNN/FiOS1 at all costs.

Treat people with decency.

unreliable company

I have been working at Regional News Network part-time (more than a year)

Pros

good for very part-time work

Cons

payment can take a very long time

Company on the Rise

Current Employee - Reporter in Rye Brook, NY
    Current Employee - Reporter in Rye Brook, NY

I have been working at Regional News Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting changes taking place. It's great to work for a company that embraces change. Everyone works great together.

Cons

Sometimes very long hours. Communication could be better.

More training and development for field staff.

Management could communicate better

Current Employee - Traffic Director in Rye, NY
    Current Employee - Traffic Director in Rye, NY

I have been working at Regional News Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Learning new things and managing young people

Cons

Cheapness of companies regarding compensation

Pay more to dept heads

It's not a real company

Former Employee - Traffic Coordinator in Rye Brook, NY
    Former Employee - Traffic Coordinator in Rye Brook, NY

I worked at Regional News Network full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits were good. Pizza Fridays 2x month.

Cons

High turnover rate, thankless work, unengaged employees.

The employees that aren't part of 'executive row' are important too.

Extra Extra read all about it

Current Employee - Reporter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Reporter in New York, NY

I have been working at Regional News Network

Pros

There is good pay, a young fun staff, everyone is willing to learn and help each other out. There is also no weekend newscast which is very rare so you get to work a normal work week. In News that hardly ever happens. I have never had to work weekends.

Cons

some people are incompetant making everyone's life more difficult. The one-man- band thing also gets difficult at times doing everything by yourself. You think that you're getting paid well and then realize that you're actually doing three people's jobs for the price of one. That's pretty much all I have to say about that.

communicate with all employees better in regards to structural changes