Regions Financial

Regions Financial Reviews in Memphis, TN

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
3.3

Regions Financial President, CEO, and Director O. B. Grayson Hall Jr.
O. B. Grayson Hall Jr.

Pros
  • Good work/life balance - manager gave me free paid (non-vacation) day off to allow me to move (in 20 reviews)

• Easy to advance in company, semi-national company (not a small town bank), good benefits (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is afraid to ask what the specific goals of upper management are (in 22 reviews)

• They push sales so hard that you're no longer focused on customer service (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Teller at Regions Bank

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Memphis, TN

I worked at Regions Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people
    awesome customers
    pay was okay

Cons

Manager had no relationship with other employees

Don't trust this company with confidential information!!!!

Former Employee - Teller in Memphis, TN

I worked at Regions Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This has great opportunities for advancement, great benefits and great bonuses. Coworkers inside the branch was great to work with.

Cons

There is one particular area manager also known as a CSM that talks very bad to the associates that work in the branches that he oversee. He also call the female associates out of there names to other mangers. Human Resource does not keep confidential information confidential.

Human Resource employees and Area Managers need to go to training classes.

High pressure sales and pay disparity

Current Employee - Branch Team Leader in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Branch Team Leader in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Regions Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Regular Hours
    -Decent training to set you up for a better job
    -Decent Benefits

Cons

-Large pay disparity with overlapping salaries. I was promoted to assistant manager after 2 years of hard work and great sales numbers. I got in to my branch to find out that the associate I'd be managing, who was a fresh hire with no sales experience, was making more than me. I left the position and my replacement, who was an outside hire, was making 15k more than I was.
    -Priority for outside hires. Don't expect to move up with this company - if they can hire from outside they will. They will also pay them a lot more than an internal promotion.
    -If you don't hit sales goals you get punished with multiple "call nights" each week. We call these detention because they keep you after work for an hour or two to cold call people who are tired and just getting home from work.
    -If you do hit your goal you get punished. The branch goals are increased and the amount of credit you get for each product you sell is decreased.
    -Goals are not scaled by branch traffic. If you get stuck in a slow branch you will get no bonus and have no opportunity to advance. Advancement is based primarily on the number of checking accounts you open. You can have a branch where each associate sees 20 customers a day and a branch where they each see one customer a day - they have the same goal. Management tells you to make up the difference by cold calling. The people that do the least amount of work (they get to sit and clerk products all day long) get the most in bonuses. Nobody lasts in the slow branches because of the stress. You get constant criticism and are belittled because your numbers are not the same as a busy branch.

Promote from within and pay what you would an outside hire! It is insulting to pay as much to internal promotions. Sales and retention will increase with happy associates. You don't need to raise goals every time someone hits them. I know it sucks to have to pay bonuses, but realize that you're paying them because this person made you money (a lot more than the small percentage you're paying in bonus). Something is wrong when your #1 CSM in the company can't keep associates more than a few months. There are constant reports of verbal abuse that need to be handled. Look at the top performing companies in the US - the forward thinking google type companies. They're not doing it by abusing their associates - they just figured out that fair pay and treating people right goes a long way.

Working for Regions Financial was an interesting,educational,and rewarding experience.

Former Employee - Financial Services Specialist II in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Financial Services Specialist II in Memphis, TN

I worked at Regions Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The leadership there was great,there were positions for advancement,the atmosphere was positive and kept morale up and there chances to earn extra money by promoting products offered by the bank.

Cons

Some of practices in sales were repetitive in that if the same customer called several times in one day,each associate he/she spoke with was required to discuss the same products on each call.

Because the all industries are constantly changing in an effort to improve and be competitive,more time needs to be allowed for training and "hiccups" in new information should be corrected before it is presented to the associate to learn incorrectly.

The worst branch ever

Current Employee - Teller in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Teller in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Regions Financial full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've met great people working at regions! It has also taught me to be cautious of everyone.

Cons

The sales goals are challenging. Every week it's something new when we haven't had the time to settle in the previous goal. As tellers, we don't get the respect we deserve. They act like we're nothing. KDS scores are important but they make it seem like we aren't doing our job because of one 4!

Get to know your employees. You guys are not superstars. You were once in our positions. We know you expect certain standards and outcomes but at least notice when we're performing well, instead of recognizing only the bad.

Regions...what a joke

Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Regions Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best things about working in the Regions contact center (Green Line) is having the support of a great team...that's if you're lucky to get a good team leader and supervisor. Some of the daily competitions are cool and fun as well.

Cons

They push sales so hard that you're no longer focused on customer service. You need to be selling credit cards to customers. If you're not selling, you're not worth their time.

Stop micro-managing, be available to assistance an employee if they need help instead of standing around with the irrelevant chitter chatter.

Great employees at branch level - disconnect with upper mgmt however

Former Employee - Teller in Memphis, TN

I worked at Regions Financial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The training is top notch and very helpful. My fellow coworkers at the branch level were superb as well. One of the best teams I have every worked on. We all genuninely cared for one another and picked up each others slack with no questions asked. My manager genuinely wanted me to be as succesful as possible and helped me to try and achieve my goals.

Cons

Upper management is disconnected from its workers at the branch level. All they care about is sales goals and customer service scores. Customer service scores are very skewed. You only get 10 surveys per branch a month that are weighted heavily. They are done by Gallup and consist of 5 or 6 questions based on a scale of 1(lowest) to 5(highest). If you get a 5 then it is comparable to getting a 100. If you get a 1-4 it is essentially a 0. Your branch's attitude and demeanor essentially is based off of your customer svc score. If you got a good score Upper mgmt says good job and you don't really hear from them for a month. If you received a poor score anything below an 80 essentially upper mgmt has your manager and possibly you on conference calls the entire month. Our regional manager "motivated" employees by constantly telling them how easily replaceable they were. I interviewed for a promotion ( sales oriented) after a year and a half and was told I did not have enough sales experience so was denied. I promptly interviewed at a main competitor and was offered a position. After being offered this position at a competitor upper management wanted me to interview with them again. I declined. And believe me.....this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Promote from within your company more often. Your training is top of the line at the branch level. Stop wasting time focusing too much time on the difference between a 5 and 4 in customer service. A 4 isn't the best but it is far from being awful. Treat your employees with respect and be grateful they are there. And stop wasting so much time on conference calls and morning meetings that accomplish nothing. 2 a week are sufficient.

Customers

Current Employee - Teller III in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Teller III in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Regions Financial part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Like to help customers with their banking

Cons

Have to say customers name 3 times and tell them ours''name plate---name badge and they are in the bank daily. Goals too high, we see same people and they don't need any more products. Like a 3 ring circus some days

If managers have a good year they are in chairman's club, with big big payouts. Last manager did nothing. for the employes that made it happen. Tellers are the backbone of a branch, reward us with more monetary gains.

Regions overall is a good place to work.

Former Employee - Teller Supervisor in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Teller Supervisor in Memphis, TN

I worked at Regions Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have good benefits and they are good with community involvement and participation.

Cons

The cons was really all from location. I worked in a geographical location that made it hard to meet some goals.

Contact Center Agent

Current Employee - Contatc Center Agent in Cordova, TN
    Current Employee - Contatc Center Agent in Cordova, TN

I have been working at Regions Financial full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexiblity in schedule, many incentives for sales goals, friendly environment

Cons

Can be stressful due to hybrid job duties of taking a inbound service-based phone call and having to turn it into a sales(needs) based call.

none