Regis Corporation
www.regiscorp.com Minneapolis, MN 5000+ Employees

Regis Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
Regis Corporation – Scottsdale – “Pretty Basic”

Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan

Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros:
  • "paid vacation, although it's minimum wage it's better than nothing"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "The lack of communication to the level 1 teams from upper management sure didn't help"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Minimum wage as a base salary with no chance of reaching a decent commission rate"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Salon Manager

Salon Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers, walk-in's, 3 weeks paid vacation higher because I was a manager

Consno follow thru with anything, Area supervisor was of NO HELP!!! , no training for my staff fell to manager to train, no receptionist which took my staff away from their clients, bad pay for my new staff (7.25 who can live on this?)

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your salon mangers they live and breath this everyday!! They are your bread and butter and who makes your salon money!!!

Great employees and fun place to work.

Edina, MN

ProsGreat employees and fun place to work. Plus free lunch and great snack days.

ConsPay is low. Benefits cost a lot. No 401K match

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd 401K, add other perks

Stylists are NOT treated well.

Hair Stylist (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsFlexible schedule, get to try samples of newest products, get your own chair at a salon, easy interview, job does not interfere with home-life probably because they don't give you hours

ConsPay is pathetic. They do not give full time hours. You'll work probably 25-30 hours a week at most on a percentage commission rate that probably will be around 40% - which is not good. Stylists work their butts off and do all the work in the salons but the managers don't really have to have clients and get 40k plus vacations while the stylists get nothing.

Corporate office gets free lunches and easy office jobs and salaries while stylists get paid on low commission rates and are lucky to get a break let alone pay their bills.

No bonuses for good work. Without us Regis would have nothing yet we are paid on a scale that is downright ridiculous. It might be fun to work in the corporate office but stylists are booked back to back, during a stressful day and get no reward for keeping the company afloat.

Paycheck is not livable. stylists usually are competing for pay and some steal clients from one another which ensues in drama also.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your stylists well for giving your customer base what they desire! The stylists are the front runners of this business why can't you treat and pay them well for making you money off of THEIR hard work!! They deserve to see the money in their banks that they make FOR YOU with THEIR skills! If stylists are so worthless do the work yourself!!

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They're trying really hard...

Several Positions In Several Departments (Current Employee)
    Edina, MN

ProsThis review is for the corporate office, Salon Support, in Minnesota.
    Regis has been in a state of flux for about 3 years now. We have had 3 CEOs, 2 CFOs, a few COOs, two restructures of the entire salon and field operation, 2 large lay-offs, a false start on developing a field HR structure, and a complete re-do of our salon technology. But the company is now starting to tread water a little bit. They realized that all the change was incredibly stressful, and are now really taking into consideration the effects of all this change on the employees. Executive management genuinely seems to care about the employees. Regis traditionally had a very, very cynical attitude toward people, including customers (now called guests) and employees. That is turning around, and it's by far the greatest improvement I've seen in the past several years. I feel heard by the C-Suite and, as someone who deals very frequently with the field and salons, I know that I can be their voice and they will at least be considered.

The culture at Salon Support is friendly and casual. It's like a family. We have quarterly meetings with the CEO and his executive team where he gives an honest overview of the state of the company. The bosses all have an open door policy, and nobody is scared of being fired or disciplined for speaking their mind. Ideas are at least considered.

Regis is a great place to learn. The recruiters and managers do a great job of hiring a diverse bunch of experienced professionals and folks just getting their feet wet. There are no stupid questions, and nobody gets disciplined for disagreeing with management.

In most departments, schedules are flexible, time off requests are granted, etc. Most managers don't sweat being late or early, as long as the work gets done. Overtime is almost always granted as long as it's needed. Work-life balance isn't something you hear a lot about at Regis, because coming to work really is like going to hang out with friends while you happen to be working. That said, work-life balance as a Regis employee is fine. No complaints here.

Free lunches! There are well-stocked refrigerators with lunch meat, hummus, dressing, salad, greens, veggies, and often little surprises. It's not gourmet food, but it's nutritious. And free. The kitchens also have stocked pantries, toasters, microwaves, toaster ovens, and blenders.

There are lots of little perks like catered meetings, two huge parties (one in the summer and one in the winter), and the CEO will occasionally surprise us by calling an ice cream truck to give everyone free ice cream or arranging food trucks to park in the lot and Regis foots the bill. Last winter when the temperatures were in the negative thirties, a local auto mechanic shop was hired to patrol the parking lot and help anyone with car trouble. It's little things like that that make a huge difference.

Regis raises millions of dollars every year for breast cancer research. As a company whose main clientele is women and a huge majority of whose employees are women, this is a really big deal every year.

ConsSales are down. That means so is pay. Salaries don't keep up with the market. There's a 401(k) plan on paper, but there's no matching from the company. Profit sharing is nonexistent. Health insurance premiums are high, and they don't cover much. Benefits also don't cover things a lot of companies do, like fitness club reimbursements. We have been promised more lucrative pay once sales pick up, but that won't be for the next couple of years.

Sometimes corporate homogeneity trumps creativity. That can be really frustrating for creative types.

All the changes from 2012-2013 really shook people up. Morale isn't where it could be, and there are a lot of people who haven't gotten over the legitimate trauma of having a third of the workforce laid off. Things are picking up, but there is still a palpable sadness in the air sometimes.

As a monolithic company that's been running lean for a couple of years, the people on the bottom rungs of the ladder (the people who also happen to be the ones selling our products and services and actually making money for the company) often don't know who to turn to when they need help. Communication from Salon Support doesn't trickle down to the salon staff like it should, and the leanness in field management and at Salon Support means that those of us who are meant to support the salon employees are stretched too thin to give stellar service to them. That's very regrettable.

Because the Regis Old Guard wasn't really into people development (we didn't have an HR department until 2012, and didn't have a head of HR until December, 2013), there aren't a lot of lower-level employees fit for promotion. That means the new guard has had to recruit externally or rely on job changes of people already in management and professional level positions to fill those roles. That has left a lot of bottom-rung corporate employees feeling stuck and burnt out and not seeing any promotions on the horizon. That's caused a not insignificant number of people to leave for other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeef up staffing just a bit. Most departments could do with one or two more people to make them run efficiently.

Regis has always been behind the times in operations and technology. Stop relying on "best practices" and technology that was cutting edge a few years ago. Even the newest upgrades and practices are dated. You run a world class company. Start innovating instead of following.

Start investing in company culture, diversity, and talent and stop looking at that sort of thing as a luxury that you can't afford. It's going to be the only way to turn the company around.

Lack of room to move

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible work areas, salon benefits

ConsNo ability to move, management feels like looking down

Company is in a Bad Direction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEmployees out in the field do a great job and work so hard to be effective and offer great servicel! Love the enthusiasm and caring that they bring to work everyday.

ConsThis used to be a company that cared about what it actually served.

The success of Regis over the years has been built on holding the product and services delivered as absolutely paramount – ultimately by people that were connected to the end product and truly invested in delivering good service. Owner, executives and middle-management supported and nurtured this directive in a way that really brought it all together and it worked.

Today, Regis is more about stock value…. without any value or attention paid to the core product. Getting people in the door will never improve until this is changed.

Over the last three years the new board has stripped the fundamental core value of what made Regis a leader in this industry for decades. The fundamental base of knowledge and expertise that Regis once had regarding the core service of haircare and beauty is now greatly diminished. Which is not a surprise, since most all of the employees that truly understood (and cared about) the industry were fired or laid off.

Regis' "new" strategy over the last 3 years had been to not only retrace former mistakes by delving into overly bloated executive salaries (check them out, they are public), it has moved in the direction of relying on executives that couldn't care less about the product served. Taking weeks to make a decision of any sort and ultimately bloating the middle-to-upper management structure even further.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a few management professionals that actually know and care what good haircare is all about. Ditch the followers … in both upper and middle-management.

Reward your stylists and employees out in the field – they are the ones that make the difference.

Used to be a good place to work, it's all going downhill quick with no end in sight.

Hair Stylist (Current Employee)

ProsIt used to be a friendly environment, you could come to work and enjoy for the most part being there. We had good hours and it wasn't as stressful.

ConsYou can tell this company is going down or at least bankrupt, we all feel the tension. They wan't you to be robots and pay you nothing, squeeze all the juice out of you and the client. Rules are being changed constantly so much that you can barely keep up anymore, even clients are noticing.It's not a good place to work at least not anymore unless something changes drastically.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy don't you try to make the stylist happy so we can make the client happy? It trickles down, if we are happy the client will be happy. We can only pretend or put on a fake smile for so long...

Franchised Beauty

Stylist (Current Employee)

ProsWorking for Regis there is a lot of growth opportunity to build clientle and the 6hour shifts are just enough.
    I like the incentives for stylist that push us to work harder.

ConsThe pay isn't enough to live off of.
    The chaotic atmosphere of managerial duties and salon duties (why is doesn't the salon manager have an office or at least a filing cabinet?)
    Not having a receptionist limits the stylist while they're working, having to keep stepping away from a client.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that Regis salons is a brand that has returning guests and it should be ran as such and not as a cruise ship salon or a smart-style salon (although in the same brand).
    Better payment plans
    maybe based off experience

Struggling Company Trying to Turn Things Around

Inventory Manager (Current Employee)
    Edina, MN

ProsRegis is a fine company that has become bloated over the years with greatly increased costs. The company has recently changed the vast majority of senior management that appears to be trying to right the ship. Unfortunately we have not yet seen this turnaround, but the outlook seems to be more hopeful.
    -Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance.
    -Very friendly employees.
    -Room to advance, but requires a lot of self-motivation.

Cons-Struggling company means low benefits.
    -Old systems cause constant issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of silly stuff like free food and increase salaries to attract new talent.

Great company with a lot of potential

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsA big little company so individual contribution is visible

ConsNo strategic direction or direction keeps changing
    Management keeps changing
    Not stable

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the IT department

Worked for Regis Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Regis Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan. All 196 reviews posted anonymously by Regis Corporation employees.