Regis Corporation
www.regiscorp.com Minneapolis, MN 5000+ Employees

Regis Corporation Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014
Regis Corporation – Scottsdale – “Pretty Basic”

Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan

Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros:
  • "Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "paid vacation, although it's minimum wage it's better than nothing"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "The lack of communication to the level 1 teams from upper management sure didn't help"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Minimum wage as a base salary with no chance of reaching a decent commission rate"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

No say for the front line...

I worked at Regis Corporation

ProsProduct and service discounts, great co workers, flexibility ...honestly, not much else.....I can't even write 20 words to fill this space.

ConsCompany has gone through 3 restructures, poor decisions made by promoting non business educated or trained field staff. Company continuing to lose money on patch work while take more and more away from its hard working front line staff. There is no growth, just people leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the Home Office staff and strengthen moral. Once this is fixed, this will trickle down to the salon level.

Great company with a lot of potential

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA big little company so individual contribution is visible

ConsNo strategic direction or direction keeps changing
Management keeps changing
Not stable

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the IT department

Struggling Company Trying to Turn Things Around

Inventory Manager (Current Employee)
Edina, MN

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRegis is a fine company that has become bloated over the years with greatly increased costs. The company has recently changed the vast majority of senior management that appears to be trying to right the ship. Unfortunately we have not yet seen this turnaround, but the outlook seems to be more hopeful.
-Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance.
-Very friendly employees.
-Room to advance, but requires a lot of self-motivation.

Cons-Struggling company means low benefits.
-Old systems cause constant issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of silly stuff like free food and increase salaries to attract new talent.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disorganized, judgmental, unintelligent people running the show

District Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIf you are lucky enough to have a great manager/supervisor/boss, you have a real opportunity to succeed.. for a while

-Marketing materials, Educational tools, business building all provided for you
-Some salons are in great locations, making building a clientele easy.
-Variety of products available for use.
-Training on many, many techniques and products you would have to pay for elsewhere.
-You really have all tools available at your disposal

ConsThis company seems to allow, and promote, managers and supervisors into positions solely based on company tenure.

-Low/Average pay for the work you are asked to do.
-No "REAL" HR dept. Don't expect to be able to talk to anyone about legitimate concerns. (including racist/anti-gay comments made by upper mgt. You will be ignored.)
-No communication across company. The left arm doesn't know what the right arm is doing.
-Upper mgt is a joke. Told one thing, shown another, asked a third.
-Expect to provide high end experience with low end capital. (Then, have NO IDEA why you are losing guests so quickly. Combine that with a crappy employee experience, which leads to a crappy guest experience, and you have no reason to stay.. as a guest or employee)
-The company seems to have the right idea, with NO CLUE how to execute.

Seriously, this company needs to pay more for better quality people, at least in field leadership. Having leadership that knows how to add and subtract may be a good start.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closer attention to who your field teams are. Stop making emotionally charged decisions. A small bump in pay would help attract some better (SMARTER) employees. I really believe(d) in this company, until I saw who was being allowed to run the gamut.

Great beginning, bad Ending

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere was once a mile long list of "pro's". The only one I can think of now, are some of the people who are still around.

ConsNew CEO and board. Too much concentration on the money. The company lost what was great, the feeling of being a part of a family.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe people behind the chair are the money makers and yet they are treated the worst. They are overworked and under paid. You can't attract great talent, because they won't work for the pay or conditions offered. There is no incentive to do better or to stick around. It's sad. Regis was once a great company, now it's just a joke to most hairdressers.

bad company to work for real bad bad

Hair Stylist (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Regis Corporation part-time for less than a year

Prosnone only the cutting classes bad company

Consbad power trip managers and bad bad company losers

Advice to Senior Managementonly out to make us sale sale sale bad people

Unite

I worked at Regis Corporation

ProsIf you are fresh out of cosmetology school and the ink just dried on your license, this is a great place to hone your skills. Then you can take the skills you honed and go somewhere else to make a decent living. Along the way you will work next to some really kind stylists, build some clientele consisting of kind, decent customers.

ConsLow/no staff, unstable hours/schedule, unlivable wages, run down salons, lack of customers, CEO and board members making too much money, horrible reputation as a company making it extremely difficult to get talented stylists to work for us. If they are talented and hire in, they will leave quicker than you can blink. This is a despicable company and it will soon be out of business.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should count your blessings that your smartstyle employees haven't joined the Walmart employees to organize a union for livable wages. Or joined the fast food strikes calling for a higher livable wage. A common argument against the fast food strikes is that the fast food workers are not qualified to make $15 an hour since they perform unskilled work. Well, your stylists are licensed professionals who make LESS than fast food workers. Therefore they have more reason to strike/unite for higher livable wages, right?

Upper management is a joke.

Hair Stylist (Former Employee)
Princeton, NJ

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people in the lawrenceville/ princeton nj location are great, large amount of staff, tons of walk ins, able to transfer when moving and not having to look for a new job, good way to build a local clientele, fast paced.

Consterrible base pay, terrible insurance, NO HR DEPARTMENT, clueless payroll department, upper management doesn't care, they pretty much own every chain hair establishment short of the hair cuttery.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish the head of the company would see how evil some of their district managers are, and how they abuse their power.

Corporate is run by people who are not stylist and have no clue

Hairstylist (Current Employee)
Mira Loma, CA

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Prosi realy cant think of a pro. Ive had nothing but issues with this company since i started there. Thats why they have a high turnover with stylist. If you can sell thousands of dollars a month in extra services and retail you will do fine here. They will value you if you can achieve the ridiculous goals they set for your salon. They will even tolerate you stealing and altering your timecard as long as you can sell sell sell for them. But if your an honest person trying to do the right thing you are not valued at all. There mission statement is a joke because they dont follow it.

ConsPay rate is horrible and commission is a joke. I advised those that are stylist to stay away. Nine out of ten stylists are miserable there.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow what your talking about before you advise your stylist. District leaders should be there to help the stylists not yell at them.

Low Pay For Stylists, Overworked, Can't make ends meet

Hair Stylist (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsLaid Back environment, nice co workers, easy going management, love doing hair, nice salon atmosphere, holidays off

ConsHorrible pay rate, no training, overworked and WAY underpaid ( I averaged 450$ a MONTH ), their maximum "full time" hours are only 20 hours a week, hated the color line

Advice to Senior Managementcompensate your stylists better

Worked for Regis Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Regis Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan. All 182 reviews posted anonymously by Regis Corporation employees.