Regis Corporation

www.regiscorp.com

Regis Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014
Regis Corporation – Scottsdale – “Pretty Basic”

Regis Corporation – Scottsdale – “Pretty Basic”

Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan

Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros
  • Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• paid vacation, although it's minimum wage it's better than nothing (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The lack of communication to the level 1 teams from upper management sure didn't help (in 20 reviews)

• I dislike making minimum wage or commission whichever is higher (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

They are trying to fix it

Salon Leader (Current Employee) Elizabethtown, KY

ProsThey offer steady walkin clients. Perfect place to start in either straight out of school or new city. Easy to move up into management if that's what you want. Nice bonuses for managers and decent not great pay. They offer lots of great training for all stylists if you take advantage and have a manager that wants all stylists to succeed.

ConsStylist level pay is horrible to begin with. You have to be there several years or come in fill of experience to get decent commission. Salon managers don't really have any authority in their salons so I don't really know why they have them in there. They like to have a salon fill of stylists even if none of them are on commission because they think they are missing money by not having enough people working...... You need to take care of the stylists you have first!

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the managers manage their salons! We are the ones who are in there on a daily basis and know what's best for out salons. Also, this WIG idea may be helpful to new stylists just learning the business but it feels like kindergarten to some of us.

The Road from Proud to Discontented

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsFriendly people, work/life balance, food stocked kitchens, free coffee, Minnesota spring, summer and fall. If you are interested in settling for complacency without any opportunity for career growth, this is your organization.

ConsMinnesota winters...seriously...the last 6+ yrs have been extremely frustrating with multiple reorganization efforts, change in leadership, too many lay offs to count both at Salon Support and in the field. For as long as I can remember, leadership has been talking about turning Regis into an Employer of Choice...I have come to learn that this is just what it has been....talk only. There is absolutely no career track in corporate and in fact, nearly all promotional opportunities are extended to outsiders...There seems to be a general philosophy to ignore talent within while filing new opportunities with talent from the outside. Keeping in mind that the "outside" really means who you know...Upper management is bringing in their own people. There is talent at corporate who are not taken seriously. Thus, many experienced, well educated and deserving employees have voluntarily taken their skills elsewhere. Kudos to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake stock in your employees. Give them credit for what they do and what they know. An occasional lunch outing is great, but does not replace any opportunity to be challenged and grow.

Doesn't really recognize employee experience

Hair Stylist (Current Employee) Pleasant Hills, PA

ProsA nice, creative environment, and the co-workers are great on a salon level. Hours are flexible and salon managers are often promoted from within.

ConsPay is pretty low, which wouldn't be too bad if tips were good. However, you really have to rely on a busy salon, which most aren't busy enough to make great tips, and therefore you have to build a great clientele to make money. Also, in later years, the company sells to value their employees less, and make the stylists do more for less money.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more incentives to keep stylists happy-it really translate to more profit for the company. Also, offer more than a potential 35 cent raise a year- it takes more than three years just to make a dollar more.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Former Management

Salon Manager (Current Employee) Panama City, FL

ProsGood Place to start out

ConsThe pay rate is not the best

Unfair management, always working weekends, unappreciated, low pay, terrible business ethics

Stylist (Current Employee) Watsonville, CA

ProsThere is nothing that comes to mind.

ConsLets start off with management because thats one of the biggest problems with this corporation, the management here is so shady ive worked in 7 different stores all but one was the manager pleasant to work for. I often felt as though there was so much tension between hair stylist and managers that even the customers would feel uncomfortable there , it results in hairstylist building clientele as fast as they can and leaving to a better work environment.
    Also understand working here means no weekends off ever unless you are the manager or friends with the manager, this also adds to a hostile work environment.
    Then the pay... the numbers are ridiculous of revenue collected in a month at most stores they can afford to pay more then minimum but this company does not care about the stylist so they pay you as low as your state will allow ,if Supercuts had it their way they would be paying you in beans. Sure you get tips, but because of the clientele the Supercuts draws in because if its chinsy demeanor you often get stiffed. And the "sliding pay scale" thats a carrot dangling in front of a donkey. No one I have ever met has slid a substantial amount the most ive ever heard was 30 cents.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare for your stylist, they are the core of this operation.

Loyal to themselves

Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFlexible schedule - That's about it

ConsGoals are unrealistic, no regard for experience, ivory tower mentality, nonsensical beliefs and objectives.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in touch with the reality. Treat your employees fair - they work with your customers every day - your customers are not loyal to the name on the front of the building - they are loyal to the person doing their hair and will not tolerate poor execution or service - Sad to see what a mess you have made -

could be a great place to work because we have the customers

Hair Stylist (Current Employee) Southern Pines, NC

ProsBusy Salon. My salon manager is great. I love my customers. My coworkers are cool.

ConsPay is very low, Cant use floor mats due to lawsuit, can only use their Regis Brand hair products on back bar, Cheap continuing education classes. Nothing modern. Run down salon with crappy ceilings, floors, booths. Lights are always burnt out, flies everywhere. Matrix color is terrible, sinks are broken...Corporate needs to remodel our salon before other salons push us out because there is money to be made there.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo Corporate: Please stop treating us like infants

Lots of room for improvement if Upper Management would just LISTEN!!

Stylist (Former Manager) (Current Employee)

ProsHigh traffic, great guests, supplies equipment

ConsLow commission pay scale, under staffed, working alone, turning away business due to lack of help, high turn over, poor management, favoritism, no floor mats (which is a big deal!), unfair scheduling, no education for new stylists, poor communication, no appointments for Senior/Master Stylists (guest complaints) and lack of open door policy

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up the lines of communication and listen to your managers and stylists. There are so many simple and common sense ideas we have that can help fix the lack of profit. Walk In Only Salons need new innovative ideas to help maintain our guest counts like master stylists booking appointments while newer staff gains clientel by taking walk ins.

District Leader

District Leader (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsWorked closely and made positive impact in my staff and vice versa.

ConsCorporate has little understanding of how field operations work. They expect fuels leadership to do hair AND "run" up to 8 managers. Read their recent "earnings call" transcripts and you'll realize they have little understanding how to deliver a best in class experience to anyone but their corporate salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of Illinois and the northern states when you do field research. Creating new positions for million dollar salary heads is NOT going to turn your earnings call in a new direction. You recently castrated your field leadership by expecting them to lead multiple units while maintaining the production standards if a high producing stylist. Very interesting concept since no one up in Edina has worked a single hour behind the chair much less know how to do hair. Yet you laid off all your non-technical field leadership. Hmmm, hypocrites maybe?

Company has potential, but doesn't invest enough in front-line employees

ProsMany salons will hire you with little experience, which is a great way to get into the cosmetology industry, because many private salons will not even give you a chance. For Smart Style salons, the walk-in traffic you have access to is wonderful for those who do not have an established clientele.

ConsThe amount of pay you receive is laughable for an adult that has taken the time to go to school for a cosmetology license. The wage is hourly minimum wage or commission percentage of services, which ever is greater at the end of the pay period. Commission starts low at 38%. You do have the opportunity to earn more ( I received a 5% raise after meeting a particular amount of sales standards), but since many stores don't allow their employees to be true full-time employees (35-40 hrs), you still end up making a very low wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay stylists what they are worth. They are on the front lines directly facing your customers and without them, you wouldn't have a company. This would prevent the massive amount of turn over the company experiences, making for a much more stable business. The customers can sense the instability very well.

Worked for Regis Corporation? Contribute to the Community!