Regis Corporation
www.regiscorp.com Minneapolis, MN 5000+ Employees

Regis Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
Regis Corporation – Scottsdale – “Pretty Basic”

Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan

Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros:
  • "paid vacation, although it's minimum wage it's better than nothing"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "The lack of communication to the level 1 teams from upper management sure didn't help"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Minimum wage as a base salary with no chance of reaching a decent commission rate"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Doesn't really recognize employee experience

Hair Stylist (Current Employee)
    Pleasant Hills, PA

ProsA nice, creative environment, and the co-workers are great on a salon level. Hours are flexible and salon managers are often promoted from within.

ConsPay is pretty low, which wouldn't be too bad if tips were good. However, you really have to rely on a busy salon, which most aren't busy enough to make great tips, and therefore you have to build a great clientele to make money. Also, in later years, the company sells to value their employees less, and make the stylists do more for less money.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more incentives to keep stylists happy-it really translate to more profit for the company. Also, offer more than a potential 35 cent raise a year- it takes more than three years just to make a dollar more.

The Road from Proud to Discontented

Minneapolis, MN

ProsFriendly people, work/life balance, food stocked kitchens, free coffee, Minnesota spring, summer and fall. If you are interested in settling for complacency without any opportunity for career growth, this is your organization.

ConsMinnesota winters...seriously...the last 6+ yrs have been extremely frustrating with multiple reorganization efforts, change in leadership, too many lay offs to count both at Salon Support and in the field. For as long as I can remember, leadership has been talking about turning Regis into an Employer of Choice...I have come to learn that this is just what it has been....talk only. There is absolutely no career track in corporate and in fact, nearly all promotional opportunities are extended to outsiders...There seems to be a general philosophy to ignore talent within while filing new opportunities with talent from the outside. Keeping in mind that the "outside" really means who you know...Upper management is bringing in their own people. There is talent at corporate who are not taken seriously. Thus, many experienced, well educated and deserving employees have voluntarily taken their skills elsewhere. Kudos to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake stock in your employees. Give them credit for what they do and what they know. An occasional lunch outing is great, but does not replace any opportunity to be challenged and grow.

Former Management

Salon Manager (Current Employee)
    Panama City, FL

ProsGood Place to start out

ConsThe pay rate is not the best

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unfair management, always working weekends, unappreciated, low pay, terrible business ethics

Stylist (Current Employee)
    Watsonville, CA

ProsThere is nothing that comes to mind.

ConsLets start off with management because thats one of the biggest problems with this corporation, the management here is so shady ive worked in 7 different stores all but one was the manager pleasant to work for. I often felt as though there was so much tension between hair stylist and managers that even the customers would feel uncomfortable there , it results in hairstylist building clientele as fast as they can and leaving to a better work environment.
    Also understand working here means no weekends off ever unless you are the manager or friends with the manager, this also adds to a hostile work environment.
    Then the pay... the numbers are ridiculous of revenue collected in a month at most stores they can afford to pay more then minimum but this company does not care about the stylist so they pay you as low as your state will allow ,if Supercuts had it their way they would be paying you in beans. Sure you get tips, but because of the clientele the Supercuts draws in because if its chinsy demeanor you often get stiffed. And the "sliding pay scale" thats a carrot dangling in front of a donkey. No one I have ever met has slid a substantial amount the most ive ever heard was 30 cents.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare for your stylist, they are the core of this operation.

Lots of room for improvement if Upper Management would just LISTEN!!

Stylist (Former Manager) (Current Employee)

ProsHigh traffic, great guests, supplies equipment

ConsLow commission pay scale, under staffed, working alone, turning away business due to lack of help, high turn over, poor management, favoritism, no floor mats (which is a big deal!), unfair scheduling, no education for new stylists, poor communication, no appointments for Senior/Master Stylists (guest complaints) and lack of open door policy

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up the lines of communication and listen to your managers and stylists. There are so many simple and common sense ideas we have that can help fix the lack of profit. Walk In Only Salons need new innovative ideas to help maintain our guest counts like master stylists booking appointments while newer staff gains clientel by taking walk ins.

could be a great place to work because we have the customers

Hair Stylist (Current Employee)
    Southern Pines, NC

ProsBusy Salon. My salon manager is great. I love my customers. My coworkers are cool.

ConsPay is very low, Cant use floor mats due to lawsuit, can only use their Regis Brand hair products on back bar, Cheap continuing education classes. Nothing modern. Run down salon with crappy ceilings, floors, booths. Lights are always burnt out, flies everywhere. Matrix color is terrible, sinks are broken...Corporate needs to remodel our salon before other salons push us out because there is money to be made there.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo Corporate: Please stop treating us like infants

Loyal to themselves

Manager (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsFlexible schedule - That's about it

ConsGoals are unrealistic, no regard for experience, ivory tower mentality, nonsensical beliefs and objectives.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in touch with the reality. Treat your employees fair - they work with your customers every day - your customers are not loyal to the name on the front of the building - they are loyal to the person doing their hair and will not tolerate poor execution or service - Sad to see what a mess you have made -

Company has potential, but doesn't invest enough in front-line employees

ProsMany salons will hire you with little experience, which is a great way to get into the cosmetology industry, because many private salons will not even give you a chance. For Smart Style salons, the walk-in traffic you have access to is wonderful for those who do not have an established clientele.

ConsThe amount of pay you receive is laughable for an adult that has taken the time to go to school for a cosmetology license. The wage is hourly minimum wage or commission percentage of services, which ever is greater at the end of the pay period. Commission starts low at 38%. You do have the opportunity to earn more ( I received a 5% raise after meeting a particular amount of sales standards), but since many stores don't allow their employees to be true full-time employees (35-40 hrs), you still end up making a very low wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay stylists what they are worth. They are on the front lines directly facing your customers and without them, you wouldn't have a company. This would prevent the massive amount of turn over the company experiences, making for a much more stable business. The customers can sense the instability very well.

Flexible hours but pay sucks

Cosmetologist (Current Employee)
    Colonial Heights, VA

ProsI like my job but cannot afford much with the pay I make. Health insurance cost too much for what we make in pay. Health insurance doesn't pay out much either. Benefits include 401 K but no matching. Regis stock they match but if you take them up on all the benefits you dont even get enough money on your check to survive.

ConsPay sucks! Lots of drama between coworkers. No organization. Incentive programs that really don't motivate you. Morale is down.I dislike making minimum wage or commission whichever is higher.plus any tips you get taxes come out of your check on them and then after benefits you have like a 200.00-300.00 dollar paycheck every 2 weeks. It doesnt even cover my rent.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Salon Manager

Salon Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers, walk-in's, 3 weeks paid vacation higher because I was a manager

Consno follow thru with anything, Area supervisor was of NO HELP!!! , no training for my staff fell to manager to train, no receptionist which took my staff away from their clients, bad pay for my new staff (7.25 who can live on this?)

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your salon mangers they live and breath this everyday!! They are your bread and butter and who makes your salon money!!!

Worked for Regis Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Regis Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan. All 196 reviews posted anonymously by Regis Corporation employees.