Regis Corporation

Updated November 21, 2014
2.2

Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan
Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros
  • Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• paid vacation, although it's minimum wage it's better than nothing (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • I dislike making minimum wage or commission whichever is higher (in 22 reviews)

• No one in upper management besides my DL could be bothered to care (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Upper level management is terrible and terrible examples of leaders.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love what i do, my location, my co stylist and the guest I serve. "Guest for Life"

Cons

Regis pay and the lack of, lack of care and lack of respect for the stylist. The lack of required repairs the company should provides to my salon, the lack of required cleaning services the company should provide to my salon. No money is always the response. No leadership by example.

The management uses "My Salon Listens" as an abusive whipping post instead of a tool to build a stylist confidence. It's a place where customers could leave a complain or compliment. Upper level managers want managers to review the complaint with the stylist you can get 1 complaint and 15 compliments and they focus on the 1 complaint. It is so abusive. In customer service you are going to get complaints but to focus on them like this management team does is over the top. This type of leadership is lacking so much balance. No one grows in this environment. "Regis" your ship is sinking. You' re forgetting about you most useful tool ~ the stylist. "Employer of choice" has no value.

fun people

Former Employee - Shipping in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Shipping in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

free product, funny nice people

Cons

Mexicans need to speak english

calm down

I liked working for this company. Great experience!

Former Employee - Hair Stylist
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time

Pros

Great place for a new graduate out of cosmetology to start. It was very busy and I sharpened my skills very fast. I met all background of people.

Cons

There wasn't as much education opportunities. Management at my location could have been better in my opinion.

Not good at all....

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved doing hair. It was nice to get free stuff from vendors.

Cons

The pay is terrible!!!! Managing a salon, marketing the salon to the area, AND being behind the chair and making commission. Literally impossible when you have to do all those things. Not to mention barely making over minimum wage. Upper management was terrible once they changed everything. My first 2 district leaders were great! I went in every high performers award trip they held for the managers and I still couldn't get a raise from the company. My salon was a newer SmartStyle in a wealthy area so it was difficult to build. Needless to say, I spent countless hours/days working for a company who really doesn't want to pay anyone.

Be supportive. Pay your stylists/managers.

Shameful

Current Employee - Stylist in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Stylist in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

MY customers and co workers. This company does not deserve to say they lead the industry. They treat their employees terrible. We do way more than be hair stylist for them. We are secretaries, maids, plumbers, advertisors, and more! The customers are their last concern. Over 20 yrs I've worked for them and I am treated no different than a new hire. Shame in me for staying so long with a company that manipulates, not educates, and blames their employees for their low wages instead of their impossible production scale. This company takes from their employees daily through coupons. I pray the truth comes out sooner than later.

Cons

Changes, changes daily. Leadership is horrible. No commincation beyond store level. Company has low standards for the condition of their stores. Safety stanards non exsistant. Focus on everthing but the customer, more than likely due to corporation lacks anyone from the industry.

Go back to basics. Re-invest in your stores. Value your employees. This doesn't have to be in the form of money. Appreciate those that have been loyal. Always make the customer first. Lastly, comunicate...it solves anything.

Not very caring

Current Employee - Stylist
    Current Employee - Stylist

I have been working at Regis Corporation part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place for just out of school stylists, gain up on product knowledge, meet a lot of interesting people

Cons

Paid $7.25 an hour, can only make more if you meet commission but if its in a small town and a small salon then you're screwed, doesn't care about the safety of employees, tries to charge people without being straight forward (ie, charging an extra $1 for conditioner rather than putting it within the price of the cut/shampoo), no extra training other than outdated videos, if you're not in a manager position then don't expect to get more than 24 hours a week, also no bonuses and you have to work on holidays.

Learn to care about your employees and listen to what they're saying and why. Don't assume every salon has the amount of people coming in as another salon. We're all very different and not all salons are busy. We can't force someone to get their hair done.

Numbers. You are just a number.

I worked at Regis Corporation

Pros

Hourly wage, once in awhile free products.

Cons

Working with district leader (northeastern Ohio)

Learn respect to your employees.

Awful

Former Employee - Master Designer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Master Designer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Perks. You get free samples of all new products and get to attend some fashion shows.

Cons

No support from management. There is no HR department. Company policies that would benefit employees are not enforced. State Board rules/regulations are not complied with. Repairs that need to be made to salon are not ever done unless the manager does it themselves. No rewards for seniority or benefits or recognition for being there a long time. High turnover rate.

Get trained on how to deal with people. Don't pick favorites. Comply with company and board policies. Hire experienced individuals instead of just trying to "fill chairs".

No raises EVER

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

Free tools to use.

Cons

Sliding scale is a rip off when they schedule 4 people a day. There's no way to increase base pay

Stop trying to get over on the stylist

stylist

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Harlingen, TX
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Harlingen, TX

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

i got hired without qualifications.

Cons

i was discriminated against due to my orientation. i was held back from additional training ( all of which were dvds) and was not made eligible from promotions to eyebrow specialist etc.. because they did not think i was good enough to be promoted... but i was good enough to be hired... not understanding that, and when i went to look for other jobs in other salons i was talked about in a way that i was not able to get those jobs.

you let the salon managers get away with treating employees any which way they like to ... and favoritism is overt... if you want to promote your salon the way you do in your training dvds you need to start cleaning up the mess that is happening in the smaller salons... seriously. i live in a small town, and people talk. the reason that the salon is not doing well in our area is becuase of the way your hairstylists conduct themselves in your salons and out of your salons.

Regis Corporation Photos