Regis Corporation

Updated January 21, 2015
2.3

Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan
Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros
  • Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Great place for a new graduate out of cosmetology to start (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • I dislike making minimum wage or commission whichever is higher (in 23 reviews)

• No one in upper management besides my DL could be bothered to care (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible.

Current Employee - Hair Stylist
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

There are nice coworkers suffering the same as you.

Cons

hmmmm where do I start...
    1. The pay SUCKS. 350$ a paycheck when I'm bringing 1,300+ in service sales?! How is that even fair?! I can't live off that?! I worked 2 jobs and still had to get food stamps to keep myself going. God for bid you went over 30 hours they had a cow! Not to mention the more hours you have the suckier your pay per hour is. If I ever saw a person from the company headquarters come in my salon I would make them NEVER want to work for Regis ever again, using a very not nice choice of vocabulary.
    2. Blackout days. You mean after I worked for your crappy company for a year and earned my vacation time, I can't take it anytime I want?July 3rd is blackout. No fourth of July vacation. Forget about visiting relatives out of state on Christmas, BLACKOUT.
    3. Fridays and Saturdays. I'm 19, and not once since I've started did I get a Friday or Saturday night off since I started a year and a half ago. Surely this would be the managers crappy discretion. But seriously? You think its fair to make me close EVERY SINGLE SOLITARY DAMN WEEKEND OF MY LIFE.
    4. WIG. I can't stand it. You seriously want me to track every time I reccomend a product. Or every time I capture an email? I'm sorry but I'm too busy WORKING to worry about stupid stuff like that. How the hell am I supposed to remember how many people I've mentioned product

moral of the story is, I'm so glad I put my two weeks in. I'm sick of working my butt off and getting nothing in return. If the salon isn't busy, say goodbye to your paychecks. I feel like I got paid more at McDonalds than I did here. If I have to bust my butt working two jobs and still need assistance to put food in my mouth this obviously isn't the right place to be. Maybe if you have a super rich boyfriend that pays for everything for you, but if you are out on your own with no help, then forget about even considering going shopping for yourself. This job sucks and I'm so glad I will no longer be a part of their failure company.

Get off your high horse and realize what you are doing to people. Karma will get you. I hope all the money youre getting paid to sit on your butt and unfairly pay and make rules for an industry you know nothing about was worth it. People quit hirdressing after working for this place. Congrats on being scams and making people hate their profession.

Had a great salon manager, but horrible co workers and district manager and pay was questionable.

Former Employee - Hair Stylist
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist

I worked at Regis Corporation

Pros

Great salon manager that was willing to help me learn as I was just getting my cosmetology license.

Cons

Co workers didn't want new stylists being hired in. District manager was rude and down right cruel.
    Pay checks were always off and questionable.
    Never knew when I was scheduled to work.

Don't fire stylists after only being out of school. Come up with a program for new hires that allows them to grow and develop technique.

Great company most of the time (uk)

Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really love working for regis. I have been an employee for 6 and a half years.
    great career progression, you can go into management, education and also the creative team. Good training courses and a lot on offer. Also train managers in HR these days.
    Most salons tend to be in good busy locations do lots of walk in guests.

Cons

Unrealistic targets for comission.
    Goal post gets changed for monthly bonus.
    wage for managers are very low compared to othe companies.
    Use to get a lot of incentives where you could win holidays and gadgets, don't do this now due to cit backs.
    staffing tends to be tight in each salon so can be a nightmare when organising holidays.
    have to rely on tips and comission to boost your wage.

Make it the way it used to be.
    Review managers pay when they ask, I've not had a pay rise in 5 years when I know the senior management have.
    Some salons needs to be invested in and refurbished

Its a good place to start off but not a lot of room for growth

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

alot of walk ins
    tips
    good coworkers

Cons

hard to get a race

Terrible experience, horrible wages for a stylist

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Pleasant Hills, PA
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Pleasant Hills, PA

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, flexible hours, thanksgiving off, most major holidays off, got to try new Regis products and sometimes got nice samples of products. I liked doing hair also but this company ruined that happiness for me.

Cons

Terrible. Terrible. Wage. I canny stress enough how wrong the wage scale they have at the Regis salon I worked at was. They started me out at 7.25$ an hour which I understood because I had just gotten out of hair school, however upon working there I realized the other stylists who had been there 10yrs + we're still at minimum wage, and on this bogus sliding scale that due to the economy was difficult for most of us to meet. If you did make commission they took massive chunk out of it. I was at 40% commission and many times would make the salon 1,000$ and see my check at 350$ after taxes. How do you live off of that? You don't. Even with tips it's not a livable wage for a specialized field. I spent $17,000 to get my Cosmo degree and was making anywhere from $210-$350 a check because the salon wasn't that busy and int this economy it's tough to build a clientele who will spend 60$ for all over color, and $26 for a cut. The company is totally disconnected from its employees and the employees are vastly frustrated, work extra jobs to make ends meet and it causes of course drama in the salon which never ended. Even our salon manager was unprofessional.

I had such a horrible experience at this salon chain that I may just quit doing hair all together. If the money is that pathetic for spending hours with one client and making sure they are happy it's not worth it.

Also this company provided No training. When I started there I had never used matrix products because my education facility taught us with gold well. They just threw you out there with products you never used before then wondered why people made mistakes too. Which they did often across the board. When I asked for a quick course they threw 90's era DVDs at me which were about wella and not even matrix products.

They simply do not care about employees and will push you to make them more money in sales and retail products and could careless if your take home is the same as if you had worked at Burger King.

You are totally disconnected from the reality of a living wage and the lives of your stylists day to day in the salon

Stylist hair

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Monaca, PA
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Monaca, PA

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

If met alot of co worker, that I like

Cons

They are not a fair company, its a mimum wage employer..

Raise your pay rate, treat your employees employee's fair

A continuosly sinking company

I worked at Regis Corporation

Pros

The stylists i worked with were great and we worked well together as a team, no thanks to corporate or upper management

Cons

I worked for a Regis salon for 2 years before i was terminated for what the company perceived as wrong doing. Regis is now attacking individual stylists using scare tactics via corporate phone calls that corner stylists, making them feel their job is secure if they go along with what they're saying. They set up a payment plan for the stylists according to what the company calculates they lost due to discounted services and special circumstances that corporate has no concern about as many of them know nothing about hair. As soon as they have you make a downpayment on the plan they had you sign along with your bank or credit card number, you will be
    suspended for a couple of days and terminated a couple of days later and ordered to pay.
    ********By the way, if you find yourself in that situation, do not sign anything or answer their interrogation, because it's all bogus until you sign. You will not be keeping your job any way you look at it if you get on a corporate call with a leader present.
    We were a salon of 8, they did this scare tactic to myself and the manager of the salon and 7 of us left along with our clientelle because the environment became too unbearable work in. Because of the way the company went about things, they took a salon that consistantly reached 98% of service and product goals and took it down to zilch.
    This company is great to work for if you enjoy an environment where you're made to feel like you'll never do anything right by upper management and love working for low pay and benefits.

Grow up, start appreciating your stylists, look for another job...i've read plenty of reviews about Regis and nobody at any level is safe or secure in their position.
    For corporate: you better start trying smarter tactics to earn your bottom dollar before you run every salon into the ground and nobody has a job

I love working for regis

Current Employee - Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

Competitive pay, flexible work schedules

Cons

The cons are what you make them.

Some of the reviews on this site pertaining to our company are false. I have been with regis 8 years and have moved up in the company. Any job especially in the hair industry is what you make it. There is alot of competition. You need to be above the rest. Slandering your company is not going to solve anything, it's just going to cost you business. If you are dissatisfied with your current position then do something about it instead of complaining and tearing down your place of employment. If it's as bad as you say, you look like a fool for staying. These reviews are false, and are by disgruntled employees.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Manager in State College, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in State College, PA

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work especially gaining experience, an easy place to promote within the company if you are qualified. Some flexibility on scheduling depending on Manager. Never ending supply of customers if you are at a good store w/good visibility. Opportunity to make as little or as much money as you are willing to actually put in.

Cons

You are a number at a number, "black out" dates for vacations and time off, evenings and weekends, not feeling appreciated, could have a horrible experience on immediate manager, being at a location or being the "front lines" when changing teams that had a prior negative team or poor stylists. At the end of the day you are paying for yourself to work there and its all a numbers came.

They have replaced everyone that knew anything about the company with people from totally unrelated businesses!

Former Employee - Regional Director in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Regional Director in Houston, TX

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co- workers and customers were great, they work with quality products and they have some great stylists.

Cons

They claim to want to be the " employer of choice", but they treat their people horribly! The pay is awful, and the so called benefits are a joke!

Start treating your people like they matter!

Regis Corporation Photos