Regis Corporation Reviews

Reset
3.4
Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan
Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros
  • Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Regis is a great place to learn (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay (minimum wage with a wage freeze) (in 23 reviews)

• No one in upper management besides my DL could be bothered to care (in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

It's a new Regis

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time

Pros

New leaders who truly care about stylists. Many different brands, there is a salon brand for everyone. Career growth opportunity that is unmatched in the salon industry.

Cons

It takes time to overcome some negative repution issues. Past stylist negative experiences or opinions. Brand reputation. This is a great place to work again, if people will recognize the change.

Advice to Management

Simplify pay to commission based plans only, creating an easier to understand pay approach for all stylists. Pay managers to lead, not just for production.

2. Stylist

Current Employee - Senior District Leader in Evansville, IN
    Current Employee - Senior District Leader in Evansville, IN

Pros

Always offering advancement, training & benefits.

Cons

I do not have any cons.

3. salon manager

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time

Pros

The best thing I liked about this company were the discounts and my co workers.

Cons

They dont care about the staff. Poor pay. The benefits are a joke.

Advice to Management

HIRE PROFESSIONAL DISTRICT AND REGIONAL LEADERS THAT ACTUALLY TRAIN MANAGERS. I KNEW MORE THAN MY DISTRICT LEADER, NOT A GOOD THING.

5. Learn what is important

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The walk in traffic is a great way to build a clientele

Cons

It used to be a great company to work for now dove three corporate restructuring the team it's more about what's the new focus on. We have more paperwork being a paperless company. The pay is horrible can't keep good employees when other companies pay better. The rules change frequently there's no set standard. The bad employees never seen to get terminated no matter what they've done. I have worked for this company over 20 years and sadly everyone that had worked with me this long had moved on

Advice to Management

You should concentrate on what keeps you in business it's not the customers it's the stylist and without them you're business is nothing. All standards should be for everyone not just some. Employees who are not valued will leave. Employees shouldn't be at work drunk, high, etc. Employees should be held to a higher standard and when your clientele is laughing at your worst employee and you just have to sit there and have no back up from your supervisors because they should've been fired doesn't make for a happy, friendly environment.

6. Atmosphere is great, benefits are terrible

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time

Pros

You can move up Commission or hourly. Whatevers bigger Incentive to hit bonuses. Tools for the pro program. Lots of product knowledge

Cons

Benefits are very poor Expensive health plans that cost a lot out of pocket No 401k contribution Stock contribution plan about to run out No maternity plan for a mostly women based company. Only unpaid leave.FMLA. doesn't cut it

Advice to Management

Regis really needs to work on their employee benefits. What's the point of starting a 401k with the company if there is no contribution? I read the fine print with the stock contribution and the program is about to, or already has, stopped contributing. The health insurance is now a law but the plans are terrible. Can't you help employees out with better plans? This is my familys only income and the benefits are too outdated. And it would really help employees if you could do something for maternity leave. Saving us our position by federal law just doesn't cut it. Any sort of maternity plan would help especially in a mostly woman employed company. It was terrible having absolutely no income while recovering from childbirth.

7. First Job with License

Former Employee - Hairstylist in Atascocita, TX
    Former Employee - Hairstylist in Atascocita, TX

Pros

Willing to hire and teach you straight out of school. ..definitely worth the effort

Cons

Doesn't like to pay their employees no matter how valuable you are or how much you prove you deserve it. ..only likes to pay $7.25 an hr and thinks its acceptable to not give any type of raise after 3yrs of employment

Advice to Management

Works well with scheduling just should be more considerate of employees with families and should always allow some Saturday's off just for good measure not because I beg you and bust my bottom to request a Saturday off and still get denied. ...treat all employees schedule the same no one should get special treatment unless hired on under circumstance and so others don't get upset allow the circumstances to be public knowledge

8. All about corporate headquarters

Pros

direct deposit, insurance & paid vacation

Cons

Everyday something new coming down from corporate, don't care about employees in the field

9. Great people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with at the corporate headquarters are fantastic.

Cons

Benefits are lacking. No matching 401k.

Advice to Management

Implement a 401K match for salon support employees.

10. It's all about the HAIR

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked in a few different roles at Salon Support (the Regis home office) since 2011. At that time the company was floundering but trying to make the old ways of doing business work in the 21st century. People weren't very happy. Our most important asset, the stylists, felt unheard and uncared for. After an enormous investment from some venture capitalists in New York, we've seen a complete overhaul of the C-Suite, the field reporting structure, and the underlying mission and values of the company, and it's all been great. Regis now has a startup-like culture. We're casual and clearly don't take ourselves too seriously. It's not unusual to see smiley faces in emails and toys decorating cubicles and offices. Each quarter, Dan Hanrahan, the CEO, and Carmen Thiede, the CHRO, put on a big event in a hotel conference room where they go over the previous quarter's results and the initiatives for the next quarter. Everyone from the top executives to the awesome folks at the reception desk are invited. The video of the presentation is posted on the company intranet so that everyone who missed it (including field leaders and salon staff) can watch, too. This wonderful transparency is what makes Regis the last company I ever want to work for. It's by far my favorite thing about working for the company. Since 2011 I've been promoted twice and made two lateral moves. The company is dedicated to employees' career growth, and they're very creative about it! I've seen people move from IT to HR, from Customer Service to Finance, from Level 2 Tech Support to Marketing, etc. This diversity of expertise makes Regis's various departments really agile and creative. Some of the perks are flexible scheduling and work from home opportunities, free lunches every day (the lunch room is stocked with bread, ramen, peanut butter and jelly, fresh vegetables and fruit, lunch meat, cheese, yogurt, oatmeal, salad mixes, tortillas, etc...), inexpensive on-site fitness classes with professional instructors, an on-site clinic that provides routine medical care for employees and their families, discounted theatre and sports tickets, discounted Valley Fair tickets, discounted service from the major cell phone companies, dry cleaning service that picks up and drops off from and to Regis, casual dress (within reason, no shorts of flip-flops, but jeans are ok), a full service mailing center with a corporate discount that extends to personal shipping, a full service print shop that will be glad to help you out with flyers for your kid's fundraiser or whatever, and lots more! But far and away the most amazing improvement from the last few years has been the company's new-found dedication to our stylists. The focus of everything we do at Salon Support revolves around the question "How will this make our stylists' lives easier?" This has been the biggest cultural shift I've seen. It's gone from the attitude that we at salon support are the top of the heap and stylists just need to do what we say to the exact opposite where we are here to serve and support our stylists. After all, if we want to be a successful company, we have to have successful stylists. It's that cultural attitude that makes me proud to work for this company.

Cons

Across the board the pay isn't great. Even Dan Hanrahan's salary isn't as high as those of CEOs of comparably sized companies. That said, the company has formed a compensation department now. So there should be some improvements in that arena as we start to see the company's sales increase and as the comp team does their thing. Health benefits are also pretty chintzy. Deductibles and premiums are just too high, and the packages lack a lot of basic things like health club reimbursements and the like. Retirement plans aren't competitive. The salons are a wonderfully diverse atmosphere. Many of our stylists are racial minorities, LGBTQ, etc. Salon Support is mostly white and mostly straight. Part of that has to do with the demographics of Minnesota, but I think the company could do a better job on diversity.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! As our numbers continue to grow, consider making pay and benefits competitive with the upper end of the market and make diversity a priority in order to attract and retain top talent.

You are on your own

Former Employee - Corporate Employee in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Corporate Employee in Edina, MN

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food in the lunch room at the corporate office. Spend lots of money on corporate parties/trips to entertain employees or show appreciation. Onsite Dr office is very convenient.

Cons

Zero training. Had to figure it out on my own. No introductions or onboarding. Old school train of thought in most management areas. Any new idea or opinion will cost you... You become the enemy and then ignored. This company holds very high regard for their titles and the company hierarchy. If you do not find a way to make friends in high places you are just a number. And even then, you can't really trust what you hear or what you are told.

Advice to Management

Honesty, Accountability, Inspire and Respect are the values I never once saw during my time at Regis. My experience was the absolute opposite. Exaggerations on top of lies, back stabbing and bullying are a few. I have never been treated so poorly in my life. I only hope no one else has to experience what I endured. The only time I felt any form of niceness was speaking or spending time with the stylists. They are gentle, caring soles who deserve to be treated like they actually matter and are the reason Regis exist.

RSS Feed </> Embed