Regis Corporation

Updated December 18, 2014
2.2

Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan
Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros
  • Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Great place for a new graduate out of cosmetology to start (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • I dislike making minimum wage or commission whichever is higher (in 23 reviews)

• No one in upper management besides my DL could be bothered to care (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible experience, horrible wages for a stylist

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Pleasant Hills, PA
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Pleasant Hills, PA

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, flexible hours, thanksgiving off, most major holidays off, got to try new Regis products and sometimes got nice samples of products. I liked doing hair also but this company ruined that happiness for me.

Cons

Terrible. Terrible. Wage. I canny stress enough how wrong the wage scale they have at the Regis salon I worked at was. They started me out at 7.25$ an hour which I understood because I had just gotten out of hair school, however upon working there I realized the other stylists who had been there 10yrs + we're still at minimum wage, and on this bogus sliding scale that due to the economy was difficult for most of us to meet. If you did make commission they took massive chunk out of it. I was at 40% commission and many times would make the salon 1,000$ and see my check at 350$ after taxes. How do you live off of that? You don't. Even with tips it's not a livable wage for a specialized field. I spent $17,000 to get my Cosmo degree and was making anywhere from $210-$350 a check because the salon wasn't that busy and int this economy it's tough to build a clientele who will spend 60$ for all over color, and $26 for a cut. The company is totally disconnected from its employees and the employees are vastly frustrated, work extra jobs to make ends meet and it causes of course drama in the salon which never ended. Even our salon manager was unprofessional.

I had such a horrible experience at this salon chain that I may just quit doing hair all together. If the money is that pathetic for spending hours with one client and making sure they are happy it's not worth it.

Also this company provided No training. When I started there I had never used matrix products because my education facility taught us with gold well. They just threw you out there with products you never used before then wondered why people made mistakes too. Which they did often across the board. When I asked for a quick course they threw 90's era DVDs at me which were about wella and not even matrix products.

They simply do not care about employees and will push you to make them more money in sales and retail products and could careless if your take home is the same as if you had worked at Burger King.

You are totally disconnected from the reality of a living wage and the lives of your stylists day to day in the salon

Stylist hair

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Monaca, PA
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Monaca, PA

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

If met alot of co worker, that I like

Cons

They are not a fair company, its a mimum wage employer..

Raise your pay rate, treat your employees employee's fair

A continuosly sinking company

I worked at Regis Corporation

Pros

The stylists i worked with were great and we worked well together as a team, no thanks to corporate or upper management

Cons

I worked for a Regis salon for 2 years before i was terminated for what the company perceived as wrong doing. Regis is now attacking individual stylists using scare tactics via corporate phone calls that corner stylists, making them feel their job is secure if they go along with what they're saying. They set up a payment plan for the stylists according to what the company calculates they lost due to discounted services and special circumstances that corporate has no concern about as many of them know nothing about hair. As soon as they have you make a downpayment on the plan they had you sign along with your bank or credit card number, you will be
    suspended for a couple of days and terminated a couple of days later and ordered to pay.
    ********By the way, if you find yourself in that situation, do not sign anything or answer their interrogation, because it's all bogus until you sign. You will not be keeping your job any way you look at it if you get on a corporate call with a leader present.
    We were a salon of 8, they did this scare tactic to myself and the manager of the salon and 7 of us left along with our clientelle because the environment became too unbearable work in. Because of the way the company went about things, they took a salon that consistantly reached 98% of service and product goals and took it down to zilch.
    This company is great to work for if you enjoy an environment where you're made to feel like you'll never do anything right by upper management and love working for low pay and benefits.

Grow up, start appreciating your stylists, look for another job...i've read plenty of reviews about Regis and nobody at any level is safe or secure in their position.
    For corporate: you better start trying smarter tactics to earn your bottom dollar before you run every salon into the ground and nobody has a job

I love working for regis

Current Employee - Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

Competitive pay, flexible work schedules

Cons

The cons are what you make them.

Some of the reviews on this site pertaining to our company are false. I have been with regis 8 years and have moved up in the company. Any job especially in the hair industry is what you make it. There is alot of competition. You need to be above the rest. Slandering your company is not going to solve anything, it's just going to cost you business. If you are dissatisfied with your current position then do something about it instead of complaining and tearing down your place of employment. If it's as bad as you say, you look like a fool for staying. These reviews are false, and are by disgruntled employees.

They have replaced everyone that knew anything about the company with people from totally unrelated businesses!

Former Employee - Regional Director in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Regional Director in Houston, TX

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co- workers and customers were great, they work with quality products and they have some great stylists.

Cons

They claim to want to be the " employer of choice", but they treat their people horribly! The pay is awful, and the so called benefits are a joke!

Start treating your people like they matter!

Not good at all....

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved doing hair. It was nice to get free stuff from vendors.

Cons

The pay is terrible!!!! Managing a salon, marketing the salon to the area, AND being behind the chair and making commission. Literally impossible when you have to do all those things. Not to mention barely making over minimum wage. Upper management was terrible once they changed everything. My first 2 district leaders were great! I went in every high performers award trip they held for the managers and I still couldn't get a raise from the company. My salon was a newer SmartStyle in a wealthy area so it was difficult to build. Needless to say, I spent countless hours/days working for a company who really doesn't want to pay anyone.

Be supportive. Pay your stylists/managers.

Shameful

Current Employee - Stylist in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Stylist in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

MY customers and co workers. This company does not deserve to say they lead the industry. They treat their employees terrible. We do way more than be hair stylist for them. We are secretaries, maids, plumbers, advertisors, and more! The customers are their last concern. Over 20 yrs I've worked for them and I am treated no different than a new hire. Shame in me for staying so long with a company that manipulates, not educates, and blames their employees for their low wages instead of their impossible production scale. This company takes from their employees daily through coupons. I pray the truth comes out sooner than later.

Cons

Changes, changes daily. Leadership is horrible. No commincation beyond store level. Company has low standards for the condition of their stores. Safety stanards non exsistant. Focus on everthing but the customer, more than likely due to corporation lacks anyone from the industry.

Go back to basics. Re-invest in your stores. Value your employees. This doesn't have to be in the form of money. Appreciate those that have been loyal. Always make the customer first. Lastly, comunicate...it solves anything.

Numbers. You are just a number.

I worked at Regis Corporation

Pros

Hourly wage, once in awhile free products.

Cons

Working with district leader (northeastern Ohio)

Learn respect to your employees.

Not very caring

Current Employee - Stylist
    Current Employee - Stylist

I have been working at Regis Corporation part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place for just out of school stylists, gain up on product knowledge, meet a lot of interesting people

Cons

Paid $7.25 an hour, can only make more if you meet commission but if its in a small town and a small salon then you're screwed, doesn't care about the safety of employees, tries to charge people without being straight forward (ie, charging an extra $1 for conditioner rather than putting it within the price of the cut/shampoo), no extra training other than outdated videos, if you're not in a manager position then don't expect to get more than 24 hours a week, also no bonuses and you have to work on holidays.

Learn to care about your employees and listen to what they're saying and why. Don't assume every salon has the amount of people coming in as another salon. We're all very different and not all salons are busy. We can't force someone to get their hair done.

Awful

Former Employee - Master Designer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Master Designer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Perks. You get free samples of all new products and get to attend some fashion shows.

Cons

No support from management. There is no HR department. Company policies that would benefit employees are not enforced. State Board rules/regulations are not complied with. Repairs that need to be made to salon are not ever done unless the manager does it themselves. No rewards for seniority or benefits or recognition for being there a long time. High turnover rate.

Get trained on how to deal with people. Don't pick favorites. Comply with company and board policies. Hire experienced individuals instead of just trying to "fill chairs".

Regis Corporation Photos