Regis Corporation

Updated February 23, 2015
2.3

Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan
Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros
  • Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Great place for a new graduate out of cosmetology to start (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • I dislike making minimum wage or commission whichever is higher (in 23 reviews)

• No one in upper management besides my DL could be bothered to care (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Regis: Hate It Or Love It

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

Free lunch, products and services discounts. Very flexible with schedule. The parties are awesome.

Cons

Bad management, poor decisions making. No sick days. High turnover rate, there's got to be a reason why.

Treat your employees better, recognize the good workers

none

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Regis Corporation

Pros

flexible work hours and nice management

Cons

low salaries and high turnaround

none

This Coropration has alot to work on.

Former Employee - Hairdresser in Bloomingdale, IL
    Former Employee - Hairdresser in Bloomingdale, IL

I worked at Regis Corporation

Pros

It's a great place for someone who is in school because over all you will have plenty of time to sit in the salon to do homework. working in a regis salon overall is great place to "work"and get a pycheck without actually working.

Cons

I think the company has givin up on the lower volume stores. The store I work at had very slow traffic and it felt like the home office was just waiting for the store's lease to be up to close it. I"m not sure if its true but thats what it feels like. It seems like higher management and even the home office puts all of the energy into "dazzeling" higher volume store that are doing well but lower volume stores are left on the side of the road.

Well I know Regis is going through and up-date to alot of ther stores and thats great but again i think they shoud update all the slower stores of get someone in to figure out what the problem really is. As a stylist I think they need to stop taking my tips out of my pay check!!! (yes we all know you do it!!)

Regis? Reconsider

Former Employee - Former Stylist in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Former Stylist in Hartford, CT

I worked at Regis Corporation

Pros

This company offers convenience over a real proffessional atmosphere. It caters to the busy hurried mall shoppers that want this kind of service. Good for part- timers and for anyone just beginning their careers. Benefit packages are offered but somewhat costly by comparison to the low sliding commission offered.

Cons

This is not a company that an experienced seasomed stylist should consider. The sliding scale commission is cumbersome. Many salon managers lack training and are ill equipped to deal with employee and customer issues. Senior managers also lack good management skills and frequently employ unprincipled tactics. While occaisional "classes" are provided, videos of "Gordon the Senior Educator" are used as educational tools, but don't expect you might be in that video as very few stylists ever make it to that level.

I have seen some good managers work in this company and I have seen some very bad ones too. I would say that the focus for senior managers should be conducting business ethically and proffessionally, set a better example and train salon managers to do likewise. the company has great potential for success but can be squandered making lots of small "mistakes".

ok place to work not great pay

Current Employee - Hair Dresser/Stylist/Barber in Berkley, MI
    Current Employee - Hair Dresser/Stylist/Barber in Berkley, MI

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

A lot of salons base their pay on comission but Regis gives you an hourly rate plus tips so at least you have the security knowing you will get a paycheck even if you didn't do well in tips that day.

Cons

Not very well paid, the job can be monotonious doing a lot of mens haircuts

We should get better pay and you should offer better benefits

Hair Today Gone Tomorrow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

A fairly secure place to work because regardless of whether or not the economy is high or low, people always return to get their haircut, styled, colored...etc. People who provide this service to others cannot be replaced by machines and technology. Regis is a growth company and despite the current state of the economy, we continue to open new salons and experience acquisitions. Regis is also a nice place to come to everyday. People are largely friendly and there is a sense that the employees enjoy and respect their jobs.

Cons

Regis is 90% female employees...This is especially true in the salon atmosphere, however, the corporate atmosphere is female dominated as well. I am a female. I think this is smart move by the men in top management. Why? As history shows, females generally earn less pay then men working in the same or comparable positions in other corporations. So they have an excellent, smart and talented female workforce who are paid less than their male counterparts for the same job.

Pay the woman what we have earned and deserve to be paid. Great people leave when they realize that they are not being compensated for their worth. Bottom line, we are all working for a paycheck because we have households to run and lifestyles to maintain. That's true of both men and women.

Having bad hair is not a bad thing. Kepping it is!

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

Job security, education. It's nice knowing you work for the largest salon in the world.

Cons

The corporation is so large, that sometimes , people get lost. You nearly have to be a superstar to get noticed. I guess that is corporate life though.

continue with the contest for stylist. They are a great incentive.

Hair Industry Monopoly-AVOID AT ALL COST!!

Former Employee - Previous 15+ Year Manager
    Former Employee - Previous 15+ Year Manager

I worked at Regis Corporation

Pros

As a stylist life at this company isn't too terrible as long as you're working in a location that is well staffed. (If it's short on staff look out!!! You'll be expected to work at all hours- NO EXCUSES!) Job security is there at the stylist level but once you hit management you are only safe for as long as you are willing to be a "yes sir , no sir " gal and NEVER question ANYTHING you are told as they are ALWAYS right.

Cons

micro-management, guilty until proven innocent philosophy- It's the Regis Way or the Highway

if you want to keep staff you need to treat them with an ounce of respect

Regis? ..a joke

Former Employee - Cosmetologist in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Cosmetologist in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at Regis Corporation

Pros

If you are desperate, and I mean desperate, for a pay check (if you want to call it that), and have no social life, Regis is A++..

Cons

Managers are usually in over they heads with not much in the way of leadership skills, or even, dare I say COMMON SENSE!! For example, one of the managers I worked under, had a major lack of leadership skills. She had already ran one salon into the ground, had her entire staff fired, then they gave her a new one.. that's right, if the staff changes, and the same problems exist, it's probably not the stylists!! Salon Managers are usually so untrained and clueless you end up doing their duties, untrained, and they expect you to do it perfectly, you get reprimanded if you don't. ESP is a must to survive here. Managers are not very effective or efficient in dealing with conflict in the salon. But I figure employees would not have much conflict with each other, if managers did their jobs and were more helpful in neutralizing situations.

Area Supervisors are there for numbers numbers numbers! The only times you see them if when it's regarding numbers. If you try to reach them with a problem, they call your manager and ask them why their employees are calling them.. this is bad if your manager is the one you have a problem with. And as far as complaints go, whether they actually have an HR department is still a mystery, to me. when I needed to speak to someone, I could not find one piece of contact information.

Training is a joke, seriously. I worked there for 3 years, went to 2 training classes.. The first one was for newbies and I had already been with Regis for about 9 months. It was taught by a area supervisor who couldn't answer any of our questions.In both the classes I attended, the instructors seemed to know about as much as I knew on my first day of beauty school.

Benefits are expensive!! Dental and medical are so expensive I ended up getting a cheaper rate on my own. It would have cost more for me to insure just myself through the company then it does to insure my whole family on my own.

Raises are also pathetic, they use a series of complicated graphs and it is based off of how much you make in service sales per hour (they call it HPS) For every level you pass you get a temporary raise of, are you ready for THIS? 5cents! The HPS levels are so scattered and unreasonable, I think I made it passed my base pay like 3 times. HPS must average above your base pay level for the entire pay period in order for it to count. You get commission on retail, but the percentage is so low, you'd have to shove product down people throats, sell $1000 in retail (after discounts, yup they count your service and retail discounts against you!! .. as if the coupons were your idea??) in order to earn an extra 100$.. on your paycheck, which is taken out in taxes anyways!

If you want to be respected too, you are sooooo in the wrong place!m If you are lucky enough to get a review from your manager, it's usually done so tactless-ly that you walk away scratching your head wondering if your manager really just said such insulting things. Chances are, Yes, she did!
    Management and the staff members who make the most noise, get days off. If your respectful and overall a hard worker, your requests will be ignored. You'll get all the crummy shifts, closing 8 or more days in a row, no days off.. or working 11 days in a row, one day off, then back to work again.. This happened to me 3 times.. once for 11 days, once for 13, and once for 15..

The entire Regis Corporation could use some serious revising in the checks and balances department, and perhaps more training of managers before promoting them to managers. Regional supervisors should be more in contact with their managers, and maybe even take input on a private basis from salon employees.
    Regis seems to be a great company, they have a huge chunk of the beauty industry, and perhaps that is why there are some overlooked shortcomings. With a little more attention to detail this company could really satisfy both employees and customers.

Feast or Famine!

Former Employee - Stylist in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Stylist in Allentown, PA

I worked at Regis Corporation

Pros

The best reason to work for Holiday is if you're fresh out of beauty school and need to get some experience under your belt. If it's a fairly busy shop, the volume of customers will help you learn to be quicker and hopefully better your skills.

Cons

The hours stink. Because most locations are in a mall, you're working retail hours. I had no home life when I worked there... the shop was 45 minutes from my house and I wasn't getting home until after 9:00 PM. And good luck taking a lunch break unless the shop is empty. There's nothing worse than having customers give you the evil eye as you walk out to get a quick bite. They don't know or care that you've already been there for 6 hours and are starving!

The pay scale is dreadful unless the shop is busy and/or you already have a dedicated clientele. You must bring in 2.5 times your hourly wage per week in order to make 40% commission. BUT the kicker is you don't make 40% on the whole. You only make 40% of the difference, which they just tack on to your hourly wage, which is only $7.15 as of 12/31/08. To illustrate: if you work 32 hours a week at $7.15 per hour, your wage is $228.80. To make any commission, you must make service sales of AT LEAST 572.00 that week. (Which breaks down to $17.88 per hour.) Say you made service sales of $600.00 for that week. You'd get 40% of $28.00. A whopping $16.80.

Because their services are relatively inexpensive in comparison to appointment only salons, be prepared for lousy tips unless you have regular customers who appreciate your work. I'm a very good stylist, and I've had women not tip me after having been in my chair for 2 hours with a spiral perm, which happened to be on sale that month. You will also get slammed with Holiday's reputation for hiring stylists with no experience. Regardless of how good you are, everyone will give you a story about how someone from Holiday butchered their daughter's/neighbor's/classmate's hair. The stigma is definitely there, but since most people are too impatient to make an appointment elsewhere, they keep coming back.

And our district manager was a control freak. She made us track our weekly progress by doing calculations based on at least 3 different computer reports. She also made us HAND ADDRESS large stacks of coupon postcards, which we sent to random people out of the phone book. Most of them came back as undeliverable, and we had to take time out from our work to do it. When you're hourly plus commission, that's really an insult. She also came in to supervise our delivery of inventory, which is very simple and very routine. By doing so, we felt that she didn't trust us and/or didn't feel we were capable of completing such a simple task.

We're hairdressers, not book keepers. The computer tracks each and every sale from each and every stylist, so if you need to constantly monitor our progress, get your figures there. We're too busy busting our butts.

Regis Corporation Photos