Regis Corporation

Updated December 14, 2014
2.3

Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan
Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros
  • Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Great place for a new graduate out of cosmetology to start (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • I dislike making minimum wage or commission whichever is higher (in 23 reviews)

• No one in upper management besides my DL could be bothered to care (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Upper level management is terrible and terrible examples of leaders.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love what i do, my location, my co stylist and the guest I serve. "Guest for Life"

Cons

Regis pay and the lack of, lack of care and lack of respect for the stylist. The lack of required repairs the company should provides to my salon, the lack of required cleaning services the company should provide to my salon. No money is always the response. No leadership by example.

The management uses "My Salon Listens" as an abusive whipping post instead of a tool to build a stylist confidence. It's a place where customers could leave a complain or compliment. Upper level managers want managers to review the complaint with the stylist you can get 1 complaint and 15 compliments and they focus on the 1 complaint. It is so abusive. In customer service you are going to get complaints but to focus on them like this management team does is over the top. This type of leadership is lacking so much balance. No one grows in this environment. "Regis" your ship is sinking. You' re forgetting about you most useful tool ~ the stylist. "Employer of choice" has no value.

I liked working for this company. Great experience!

Former Employee - Hair Stylist
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time

Pros

Great place for a new graduate out of cosmetology to start. It was very busy and I sharpened my skills very fast. I met all background of people.

Cons

There wasn't as much education opportunities. Management at my location could have been better in my opinion.

No raises EVER

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

Free tools to use.

Cons

Sliding scale is a rip off when they schedule 4 people a day. There's no way to increase base pay

Stop trying to get over on the stylist

Worst company Ever!

I worked at Regis Corporation

Pros

None what so ever! Beware.

Cons

Too many to list. Unprofessional, no room for improvement, etc.

fun people

Former Employee - Shipping in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Shipping in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

free product, funny nice people

Cons

Mexicans need to speak english

calm down

stylist

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Harlingen, TX
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Harlingen, TX

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

i got hired without qualifications.

Cons

i was discriminated against due to my orientation. i was held back from additional training ( all of which were dvds) and was not made eligible from promotions to eyebrow specialist etc.. because they did not think i was good enough to be promoted... but i was good enough to be hired... not understanding that, and when i went to look for other jobs in other salons i was talked about in a way that i was not able to get those jobs.

you let the salon managers get away with treating employees any which way they like to ... and favoritism is overt... if you want to promote your salon the way you do in your training dvds you need to start cleaning up the mess that is happening in the smaller salons... seriously. i live in a small town, and people talk. the reason that the salon is not doing well in our area is becuase of the way your hairstylists conduct themselves in your salons and out of your salons.

Love the people, not too crazy about the pay.

Current Employee - Receptionist in Florence, KY
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Florence, KY

I have been working at Regis Corporation part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love my job because of the awesome people I get to work with - stylists and clients included. I enjoy interacting with the various people that enter the salon. I always tell people that there is never a dull moment. I laugh a lot here, but you really need to find things to laugh about. I believe that it is really how you approach the job that will effect your affinity for it. It is definitely not for everyone.

Cons

Wherever there are people present, problems are bound to arise. Dealing with the public can be tiresome at times. It wears on you after a while. The pay is not that great either. I've worked at Regis for 3 years, and have never had a raise.

You really need to look into the needs of your employees before you turn your attention to the customers.

Bad at the end

Former Employee - Manager in Saint Marys, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Marys, PA

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None, since they made so many changes.

Cons

No challenges, don't expect to have a life, not loyal to you, you are just a number

Regis went downhill when they hired the new CEO, and got rid of the other one. You want to cut your expenses, then start with all of the bosses, you don't need 4 bosses over a manager. Why, because a manager can do it all, which they already do. Customers should not be called guests, why, because guests that visit you do not pay. Your conference calls done wkly and monthly meetings are a waste of time to a manager when they hear the same old same topic every time, moving forward . You take them off the floor to go to these meetings, when they are making you money by doing services. When we decide to quit because we had enough, your not only losing employees, your losing there relations, and there friends that use to go to the salons where they worked at. We are talking about there relations and all of there friends that live in different states as well. So much for your MOT, and don't expect when you throw all of your different store brands together as one group, that they will get along because they won't , we are all trying to make enough money to just survive.

Came in on fire and now just sparking.

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Collierville, TN
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Collierville, TN

I have been working at Regis Corporation part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people I work with and my regular clients.

Cons

Minimum wage in Tn. is $7.25 an hour so that is all i make. Other states have a higher minimum wage but Regis does not pay fairly across the board. Also the salon I work in is in desperate need of updating, fixing, and a major overhaul.
    The company is not very clear about their commission rates, education is not good at all, and too much emphasis is placed on retail sales. Forget about benefits, you will never work enough hours to ever have any.

$12 an hour straight across the board and you would have a booming business. Better education than just sending a DVD for the employees to watch in a cramped back room.

Manager and Educator

Former Employee - Salon Manager and Educator in Castle Rock, CO
    Former Employee - Salon Manager and Educator in Castle Rock, CO

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Anything that was beneficial about working for this company changed almost immediately after being corporately owned. I wish I could say that there was something good about the company. The only positive experience was the people I worked with.

Cons

-Money. It was impossible to get a raise for staff or as management. There are stylists working that are top 5 in their district in sales, have worked there for 4 or more years, still making $9 an hour. 5 years ago the median pay for a hairdresser nationwide was almost $10,000 a year more than what it is now. Regis being the largest corporation in the industry, employing 10,000+ people, is almost single handedly ruining our industry standards for pay. Hair is no longer a viable career option for young people. Especially when they are paying 12,000-30,000 for school. I feel that Regis plays a very large part in that.

-Recognition. As a salon manager and lead educator, I got little to no recognition for my accomplishments within the company from anyone besides the staff and my DL. It is a fact that most employees appreciate non monetary recognition more so than money. Being that we made no money, some sort of recognition for your hard work is needed. I took a salon from 14th in the district to 2nd overall and held there for nearly 2 years. Not only could I not get a raise, I got absolutely no recognition from anyone above my DL. The absolute only motivation for succeeding was myself, and seeing my name on the top of the list. Otherwise there was no reason to excel. No one in upper management besides my DL could be bothered to care. It was also impossible to get things for my salon. A coat rack, the lighting replaced. I had to do these things myself. My DL was amazing and super supportive, but there was only so much she could do.

-Education. It became nearly impossible to provide the proper education for the region. We were having class in a back room of a salon, without access to proper equipment. We had almost no support with upper management to get more educators for our area. There was no budget for supplies for several years with most of the cost coming out of my own pocket for classes. I am not exaggerating when I say that more than half the time, I was paying more to put the class together than I got to teach it. Which I had no problem doing because I loved it, but I could only wish that corporate would do the same. There was also no real organization for our Design Team, with partial duties falling on my DL and her getting no support from upper management. We could not get class clandars approved for months at a time. We only had 2 educators for our area, so we could only offer the most basic classes. They certified 20 new educators in module 1, but then took over a year to certify them again. So with 20 new educators getting no answers or support, now they only have 3 left. 20 opportunities to build and grow, left in the dust for a year. That's a year that we could have been offering more than just the basic classes to our staff. They could have become more than just the basic hairdresser in that year. It became impossible to watch those opportunities go down the drain.

Regis, you are failing Business 101. You are hiring people in and paying them below the poverty line. You do not offer any raises or even praise for hard work. You are educating your stylists in a salon back room. The strength of a company comes from it's employees. You are not supporting them, and expecting them to still support you. You are expecting all staff to immediately get on board with 100 new changes, trying to save a sinking ship, but you refuse to get on board with them. I no longer believe that the corporate model works for this industry. Unless the corporation pulls it together, and starts treating their employees right so they can keep good stylists in their salon, I believe the whole company will go under.

Regis Corporation Photos