Regis Corporation

Updated August 29, 2014
2.3

Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan
Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros
  • Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• paid vacation, although it's minimum wage it's better than nothing (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • I dislike making minimum wage or commission whichever is higher (in 22 reviews)

• No one in upper management besides my DL could be bothered to care (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Flexible hours but pay sucks

Current Employee - Cosmetologist  in  Colonial Heights, VA
    Current Employee - Cosmetologist in Colonial Heights, VA

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I like my job but cannot afford much with the pay I make. Health insurance cost too much for what we make in pay. Health insurance doesn't pay out much either. Benefits include 401 K but no matching. Regis stock they match but if you take them up on all the benefits you dont even get enough money on your check to survive.

Cons

Pay sucks! Lots of drama between coworkers. No organization. Incentive programs that really don't motivate you. Morale is down.I dislike making minimum wage or commission whichever is higher.plus any tips you get taxes come out of your check on them and then after benefits you have like a 200.00-300.00 dollar paycheck every 2 weeks. It doesnt even cover my rent.

none

Salon Manager

Former Employee - Salon Manager
    Former Employee - Salon Manager

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great co-workers, walk-in's, 3 weeks paid vacation higher because I was a manager

Cons

no follow thru with anything, Area supervisor was of NO HELP!!! , no training for my staff fell to manager to train, no receptionist which took my staff away from their clients, bad pay for my new staff (7.25 who can live on this?)

Listen to your salon mangers they live and breath this everyday!! They are your bread and butter and who makes your salon money!!!

Not sure what will happen

Current Employee - District Leader  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - District Leader in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It is a full time job. It is nice that some owner isn't breathing down your back.

Cons

Extremely low wage. A lot of stress, and responsibility for the work load. They expect you to do 3 jobs, Manager, Stylist & District Leader for little money. As part of the field management team, it is hard to find & keep good employees when wages are so low.

There are a lot of long time employees that have been at a wage freeze for YEARS. You should pay your employees better. They feel unappreciated. It is really hard to survive here with what you get paid. Even the DL pay is below the poverty line.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be a good place to work, it's all going downhill quick with no end in sight.

Current Employee - Hair Stylist
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It used to be a friendly environment, you could come to work and enjoy for the most part being there. We had good hours and it wasn't as stressful.

Cons

You can tell this company is going down or at least bankrupt, we all feel the tension. They wan't you to be robots and pay you nothing, squeeze all the juice out of you and the client. Rules are being changed constantly so much that you can barely keep up anymore, even clients are noticing.It's not a good place to work at least not anymore unless something changes drastically.

Why don't you try to make the stylist happy so we can make the client happy? It trickles down, if we are happy the client will be happy. We can only pretend or put on a fake smile for so long...

Company is in a Bad Direction

I worked at Regis Corporation part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Employees out in the field do a great job and work so hard to be effective and offer great servicel! Love the enthusiasm and caring that they bring to work everyday.

Cons

This used to be a company that cared about what it actually served.

The success of Regis over the years has been built on holding the product and services delivered as absolutely paramount – ultimately by people that were connected to the end product and truly invested in delivering good service. Owner, executives and middle-management supported and nurtured this directive in a way that really brought it all together and it worked.

Today, Regis is more about stock value…. without any value or attention paid to the core product. Getting people in the door will never improve until this is changed.

Over the last three years the new board has stripped the fundamental core value of what made Regis a leader in this industry for decades. The fundamental base of knowledge and expertise that Regis once had regarding the core service of haircare and beauty is now greatly diminished. Which is not a surprise, since most all of the employees that truly understood (and cared about) the industry were fired or laid off.

Regis' "new" strategy over the last 3 years had been to not only retrace former mistakes by delving into overly bloated executive salaries (check them out, they are public), it has moved in the direction of relying on executives that couldn't care less about the product served. Taking weeks to make a decision of any sort and ultimately bloating the middle-to-upper management structure even further.

Hire a few management professionals that actually know and care what good haircare is all about. Ditch the followers … in both upper and middle-management.

Reward your stylists and employees out in the field – they are the ones that make the difference.

First Choice should be your last choice!

Current Employee - Hairdresser  in  Burlington, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Hairdresser in Burlington, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The clients and colleagues. The option to cash in vacation time yearly. That is about it....not much here!

Cons

The pay (minimum wage with a wage freeze). The District Leaders are all about their little fiefdoms. Recently some of the salon managers were promoted up. Unfortunately they choose the laziest, most immature ones to hire. Our D/L sits on her butt pretending to do work on the computer. What she is really doing is trying not to do clients (like her job description says she should be doing). We are reprimanded for the stupidest things. This leaves the staff demoralized and upset. Not once are we praised for hard work, sales goal achieved, or simply for a nice haircut. There are no rewards for the stylist. When they do offer incentives, they are things like a flat iron for the salon or something worthless to us. Not one iota of thanks for holding the company up. If it weren't for us...there would be no First Choice Haircutters. Thank God for our clients...this is the ONLY reason I am still here...but not for long.

Remember who makes the dollars for you. US. To the President....how do you sleep at night???

They're trying really hard...

Current Employee - Several Positions In Several Departments  in  Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Several Positions In Several Departments in Edina, MN

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This review is for the corporate office, Salon Support, in Minnesota.
    Regis has been in a state of flux for about 3 years now. We have had 3 CEOs, 2 CFOs, a few COOs, two restructures of the entire salon and field operation, 2 large lay-offs, a false start on developing a field HR structure, and a complete re-do of our salon technology. But the company is now starting to tread water a little bit. They realized that all the change was incredibly stressful, and are now really taking into consideration the effects of all this change on the employees. Executive management genuinely seems to care about the employees. Regis traditionally had a very, very cynical attitude toward people, including customers (now called guests) and employees. That is turning around, and it's by far the greatest improvement I've seen in the past several years. I feel heard by the C-Suite and, as someone who deals very frequently with the field and salons, I know that I can be their voice and they will at least be considered.

The culture at Salon Support is friendly and casual. It's like a family. We have quarterly meetings with the CEO and his executive team where he gives an honest overview of the state of the company. The bosses all have an open door policy, and nobody is scared of being fired or disciplined for speaking their mind. Ideas are at least considered.

Regis is a great place to learn. The recruiters and managers do a great job of hiring a diverse bunch of experienced professionals and folks just getting their feet wet. There are no stupid questions, and nobody gets disciplined for disagreeing with management.

In most departments, schedules are flexible, time off requests are granted, etc. Most managers don't sweat being late or early, as long as the work gets done. Overtime is almost always granted as long as it's needed. Work-life balance isn't something you hear a lot about at Regis, because coming to work really is like going to hang out with friends while you happen to be working. That said, work-life balance as a Regis employee is fine. No complaints here.

Free lunches! There are well-stocked refrigerators with lunch meat, hummus, dressing, salad, greens, veggies, and often little surprises. It's not gourmet food, but it's nutritious. And free. The kitchens also have stocked pantries, toasters, microwaves, toaster ovens, and blenders.

There are lots of little perks like catered meetings, two huge parties (one in the summer and one in the winter), and the CEO will occasionally surprise us by calling an ice cream truck to give everyone free ice cream or arranging food trucks to park in the lot and Regis foots the bill. Last winter when the temperatures were in the negative thirties, a local auto mechanic shop was hired to patrol the parking lot and help anyone with car trouble. It's little things like that that make a huge difference.

Regis raises millions of dollars every year for breast cancer research. As a company whose main clientele is women and a huge majority of whose employees are women, this is a really big deal every year.

Cons

Sales are down. That means so is pay. Salaries don't keep up with the market. There's a 401(k) plan on paper, but there's no matching from the company. Profit sharing is nonexistent. Health insurance premiums are high, and they don't cover much. Benefits also don't cover things a lot of companies do, like fitness club reimbursements. We have been promised more lucrative pay once sales pick up, but that won't be for the next couple of years.

Sometimes corporate homogeneity trumps creativity. That can be really frustrating for creative types.

All the changes from 2012-2013 really shook people up. Morale isn't where it could be, and there are a lot of people who haven't gotten over the legitimate trauma of having a third of the workforce laid off. Things are picking up, but there is still a palpable sadness in the air sometimes.

As a monolithic company that's been running lean for a couple of years, the people on the bottom rungs of the ladder (the people who also happen to be the ones selling our products and services and actually making money for the company) often don't know who to turn to when they need help. Communication from Salon Support doesn't trickle down to the salon staff like it should, and the leanness in field management and at Salon Support means that those of us who are meant to support the salon employees are stretched too thin to give stellar service to them. That's very regrettable.

Because the Regis Old Guard wasn't really into people development (we didn't have an HR department until 2012, and didn't have a head of HR until December, 2013), there aren't a lot of lower-level employees fit for promotion. That means the new guard has had to recruit externally or rely on job changes of people already in management and professional level positions to fill those roles. That has left a lot of bottom-rung corporate employees feeling stuck and burnt out and not seeing any promotions on the horizon. That's caused a not insignificant number of people to leave for other companies.

Beef up staffing just a bit. Most departments could do with one or two more people to make them run efficiently.

Regis has always been behind the times in operations and technology. Stop relying on "best practices" and technology that was cutting edge a few years ago. Even the newest upgrades and practices are dated. You run a world class company. Start innovating instead of following.

Start investing in company culture, diversity, and talent and stop looking at that sort of thing as a luxury that you can't afford. It's going to be the only way to turn the company around.

Incentives Do Not Countermand Dodgy Ethics and Employee Relations

Former Employee - Stylist  in  Castle Rock, CO
    Former Employee - Stylist in Castle Rock, CO

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Generally friendly staff in most locations

Middle and lower management typically very accommodating

First year stylists will easily build interpersonal communication skills

Monthly contests render decent prizes and participation incentives

Price point dictates constant demand despite any economic shifts

Cons

Near-minimum wage to start and little to no chance of increased remuneration.

While friendly, staff does not subvert the industry tendency toward the immature and unmotivated.

Internalized education is geared toward high volume, low quality production trains stylists to develop very poor techniques within their craft.

Lower management is too busy with a high volume of patrons to complete basic duties.

Middle management is severely limited in power by upper management restrictions and lack of lower management accountability.

Upper management is rarely present on location and can typically by contacted only within a narrow time window and by middle management.

Payroll and HR can only be reached by middle managers, all issues called in to payroll and HR by regular employees are redirected back through middle management or ignored.

Scheduling is very haphazard; shifts are assigned randomly week by week. Seven to nine day streaks are not atypical. New scheduling optimization creates split shifts that span up to twelve hours.

Work week is defined as Monday through Sunday so, for example, working nine days straight from Wednesday through Thursday typically will yield no overtime compensation.

Legally mandated lunch breaks were rarely able to be taken and, when taken were continuously interrupted. Co-workers and middle management pressure one another constantly to not take said breaks.

No upward mobility. Almost all positions above lower management and staff education are filled permanently or are not filled from within the company.

Resigned voluntarily with three weeks' notice and vacation pay was not received with final paycheck on the next payday per Colorado law. After a second payday passed, contacted middle management and found that termination papers had still not yet been filed a month after the last day worked. Still unpaid, I'm told it will be another 15 days before the check is deposited.

Allow lower management more time off the salon floor to complete paperwork, deal with internal affairs, and resolve customer relation issues.

Trust middle management's efficacy more, and promote from within. Current upper management tends to be little more than an obstacle.

Good starting place

Former Employee - Cosmetologist  in  Council Bluffs, IA
    Former Employee - Cosmetologist in Council Bluffs, IA

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great if you do not have a clientele.

Cons

Low wages, almost impossible to move up with the company

Lots of Opportunity for Employees

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time

Pros

The company is open to new ideas and there are lots of opportunities to be challenged

Cons

The business has seen sales declines for the past handful of years, but the new management team is working hard to reverse the trend and create long term sustainable growth

Regis Corporation Photos

Pretty Basic

+ Add Photo

Worked for Regis Corporation? Contribute to the Community!