Regis Corporation

Updated October 22, 2014
2.3

Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan
Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros
  • Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• paid vacation, although it's minimum wage it's better than nothing (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • I dislike making minimum wage or commission whichever is higher (in 22 reviews)

• No one in upper management besides my DL could be bothered to care (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

could be a great place to work because we have the customers

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Southern Pines, NC
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Southern Pines, NC

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Busy Salon. My salon manager is great. I love my customers. My coworkers are cool.

Cons

Pay is very low, Cant use floor mats due to lawsuit, can only use their Regis Brand hair products on back bar, Cheap continuing education classes. Nothing modern. Run down salon with crappy ceilings, floors, booths. Lights are always burnt out, flies everywhere. Matrix color is terrible, sinks are broken...Corporate needs to remodel our salon before other salons push us out because there is money to be made there.

To Corporate: Please stop treating us like infants

Loyal to themselves

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule - That's about it

Cons

Goals are unrealistic, no regard for experience, ivory tower mentality, nonsensical beliefs and objectives.

Get in touch with the reality. Treat your employees fair - they work with your customers every day - your customers are not loyal to the name on the front of the building - they are loyal to the person doing their hair and will not tolerate poor execution or service - Sad to see what a mess you have made -

Former Management

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Panama City, FL
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Panama City, FL

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Place to start out

Cons

The pay rate is not the best

Company has potential, but doesn't invest enough in front-line employees

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

Many salons will hire you with little experience, which is a great way to get into the cosmetology industry, because many private salons will not even give you a chance. For Smart Style salons, the walk-in traffic you have access to is wonderful for those who do not have an established clientele.

Cons

The amount of pay you receive is laughable for an adult that has taken the time to go to school for a cosmetology license. The wage is hourly minimum wage or commission percentage of services, which ever is greater at the end of the pay period. Commission starts low at 38%. You do have the opportunity to earn more ( I received a 5% raise after meeting a particular amount of sales standards), but since many stores don't allow their employees to be true full-time employees (35-40 hrs), you still end up making a very low wage.

Pay stylists what they are worth. They are on the front lines directly facing your customers and without them, you wouldn't have a company. This would prevent the massive amount of turn over the company experiences, making for a much more stable business. The customers can sense the instability very well.

District Leader

Former Employee - District Leader in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - District Leader in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Worked closely and made positive impact in my staff and vice versa.

Cons

Corporate has little understanding of how field operations work. They expect fuels leadership to do hair AND "run" up to 8 managers. Read their recent "earnings call" transcripts and you'll realize they have little understanding how to deliver a best in class experience to anyone but their corporate salaries.

Get out of Illinois and the northern states when you do field research. Creating new positions for million dollar salary heads is NOT going to turn your earnings call in a new direction. You recently castrated your field leadership by expecting them to lead multiple units while maintaining the production standards if a high producing stylist. Very interesting concept since no one up in Edina has worked a single hour behind the chair much less know how to do hair. Yet you laid off all your non-technical field leadership. Hmmm, hypocrites maybe?

Lack of room to move

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

Flexible work areas, salon benefits

Cons

No ability to move, management feels like looking down

Great employees and fun place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great employees and fun place to work. Plus free lunch and great snack days.

Cons

Pay is low. Benefits cost a lot. No 401K match

Add 401K, add other perks

Flexible hours but pay sucks

Current Employee - Cosmetologist in Colonial Heights, VA
    Current Employee - Cosmetologist in Colonial Heights, VA

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like my job but cannot afford much with the pay I make. Health insurance cost too much for what we make in pay. Health insurance doesn't pay out much either. Benefits include 401 K but no matching. Regis stock they match but if you take them up on all the benefits you dont even get enough money on your check to survive.

Cons

Pay sucks! Lots of drama between coworkers. No organization. Incentive programs that really don't motivate you. Morale is down.I dislike making minimum wage or commission whichever is higher.plus any tips you get taxes come out of your check on them and then after benefits you have like a 200.00-300.00 dollar paycheck every 2 weeks. It doesnt even cover my rent.

none

Salon Manager

Former Employee - Salon Manager
    Former Employee - Salon Manager

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, walk-in's, 3 weeks paid vacation higher because I was a manager

Cons

no follow thru with anything, Area supervisor was of NO HELP!!! , no training for my staff fell to manager to train, no receptionist which took my staff away from their clients, bad pay for my new staff (7.25 who can live on this?)

Listen to your salon mangers they live and breath this everyday!! They are your bread and butter and who makes your salon money!!!

Not sure what will happen

Current Employee - District Leader in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - District Leader in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is a full time job. It is nice that some owner isn't breathing down your back.

Cons

Extremely low wage. A lot of stress, and responsibility for the work load. They expect you to do 3 jobs, Manager, Stylist & District Leader for little money. As part of the field management team, it is hard to find & keep good employees when wages are so low.

There are a lot of long time employees that have been at a wage freeze for YEARS. You should pay your employees better. They feel unappreciated. It is really hard to survive here with what you get paid. Even the DL pay is below the poverty line.

Regis Corporation Photos