Regis University

Regis University Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

It was a great growth opportunity.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRegis provides a warm, welcoming, and teaching environment to staff and community.

ConsWhile the culture and value aspects of Regis community are solid, they lack diversity.

Low salaries and no professional development; dysfunctional, top-down, politically-focused leadership - need I say more?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsBenefits are good. Mission of the university is inspiring when carried out. Working with and for students and seeing them take action to positively impact the world is fulfilling and fun. There is understanding about needing to take time off for family emergencies, illness, bereavement. Non-management personnel are some of the nicest people I have ever worked with. Campus is a beautiful place to work.

ConsLeadership decisions are politically motivated and not well-informed. Management is top-down, non-transparent and overbearing. Takes a long time for decisions to be made because every major issue requires a committee to come to a consensus and those on the committees are there for political reasons and not because of experience relevant to the issue. Waste a lot of money paying outside "experts" because they don't trust the expertise they have in house already. Pay is below market average and official HR policy is there is no personal development and no telecommuting. No performance reviews and no raises except for a university-wide 2% raise in the fall which has been cancelled more than 50% of my time here due to financial instability. Very difficult to move up and join the leadership clique. Parking is horrible. Employee morale is currently very low due to two rounds of layoffs in 2014. Most likely there are more to come. Depressing work environment with fear for keeping your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk your talk and bring your HR policies into the 21st century. Invest in your employees instead of third-party vendors and begin preparing for the next generation of leadership.

Small University, Big Incompetance

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe benefits and work flexibility were above average. Most colleagues were good people.

ConsHierarchical top down, non transparent, incompetent leadership. Most departments heavily micromanaged. Not generating revenue, not competitive in programs, over priced product, Employees must pay for parking that is often not available. 2% cost of living increases annually doesn't keep up with inflation, especially when they cancel the raises for 3 years straight. They don't internally hire, they outsource everything, and cross departmental communication is quite horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe hierarchical structure of non leadership has Regis spinning its wheels. Compensation is low and micromanagement is high. Until Regis makes sound financial decisions and prioritizes the value of their programs they will struggle to be competitive. Innovation and program development are the ways to draw revenue and reduce costs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Adjunct teaching is rewarding

Remote Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)

ProsTeaching as an adjunct is rewarding and fun. Administration provides you a lot of freedom to enhance classes as you see fit.

ConsAs an adjunct you're fairly disconnected from your peers and boss. Online course content in software development classes can become stale quickly and it is difficult to get the content updated.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide opportunities for an online "staff" meeting quarterly to share problems / ideas.

Former employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, beautiful campus and good tuition benefits.

ConsNo opportunity for growth. A lot of power in too few hands.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you teach! Incompetent long term leadership is not working well for this university and could lead to problems in the future.

Job Barely Pays the Bills

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsNice people. Tuition benefit. Pretty campus.

ConsLow pay. No work evaluations whatsoever with your supervisor= Little to no opportunity for advancement or growth. Some departments dump duties onto other departments. Inefficient processes. Bureaucratic.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees what they are worth. This is why you are not keeping competent and dynamic employees.

I enjoy working here

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsProfessional environment. Positive peer relationships.

ConsPay and benefits could be better.

Small liberal-arts college with a friendly atmosphere.

Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsOpen minded and intelligent atmosphere. Beautiful campus with a classic academic feel. It really does feel good to go to work here every day. Educational benefits for yourself and family are a big plus. The new administration (as of fall, 2012) seems to be working hard at building unifying goals and reducing the "silo" effect. I am not Catholic and feel very welcome on campus and in my job. They are great about making spiritual and Catholic resources available to their faculty, staff and students, but it never ever feels pushy. It is just there if you want it; no big deal if you don't.

ConsWithin the departments, management training is slim to none. The chairs are PhDs in their field and teachers, not managers. Most mean well, but have little idea as to how to manage people or lead effectively and sometimes this leads to difficulties. As with many not-for-profit environments, faculty and staff are constantly being asked to do more with less, promotions are hard to come by and the pay is somewhat less than average for comparable positions. For me, for now, the pros well outweigh the cons.

They teach ethics and integrity but they don't practice it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsTuition is usually covered for employees seeking a degree with the University; nice campus.

ConsVery unprofessional environment; some working conditions are deplorable; age discrimination in some departments; parking; salaries are way below the market; benefits are average

Advice to Senior ManagementA work environment the equivalent to the tv show "Survivor" has been created. Management/leadership has no idea how to treat people with dignity, respect, and integrity. Very clique-ish. The Jesuit values/experience that I loved as a student was not present as an employee. People were put in charge of projects that boosted their egos, but that they had no business, from a professional qualifications & knowledge standpoint, to lead, which was to the detriment of the project. They were put in charge for political reasons.

there are few workplaces where you will see monks, this is one of them.

Assistant Professor (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThey are Catholic (Jesuit) but they don't discriminate if you have different beliefs. I am a Freemason and Masons and Catholics tend not to get along (at least historically) but it was never an issue at Regis. I was very impressed with the school itself and their high standards and they value morals and ethics in a general enough way as to not be prescriptive about religion. For example, when I was there they gave everyone an extra day off work if you went out and did something charitable (where this day did not come out of vacation or sick leave)--I think other businesses should adopt this practice.

The job stress level was also very low and they were very sensitive to burn out. I would definitely recommend Regis to both potential students and potential employees. If you are going as a teacher: They told me they don't do tenure and you don't get the summer session off since they are on a quarterly schedule instead of the semester schedule; however, their increased pay more than makes up for it.

Oh, and about the monks. I come out of my office one day and see a dozen monks with shaved heads and robes walking around the school. And no, it was not Halloween, they were actual monks. That was very cool.

ConsSince Regis is a private school, I think their budget got a bit pinched by the recession so there may not be as many openings as there were before 2008. I am not certain on this, just guessing because I need 20 words here and I can't think of any other cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Worked for Regis University? Contribute to the Community!