RehabCare

Be The First To
Add Photos

RehabCare President, CEO, and Director John H. Short

John H. Short

Pros:
  • "Flexible schedule and co-workers are good people"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Get paid on time and has decent benefits pkg"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "The company cares more about being productive than patient care"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Full time promised, never saw FT"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Unethical to therapists and the patients

Program Director (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Prosco-workers, area manager, patients, electronic documentation, location

ConsUpper management, especially at the regional level. Visits the facility along with the area manager once a year and things he/she knows it all. Puts the area manager under the gun to make the number go where they want. No support for further training/education. Forced to have a high productivity 95% +. No room for advancement unless you want to suck up to the regional in charge.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't put your area managers and rehab directors under the gun to produce numbers that are not realistic. Care about your therapists and pay a fair wage. Lost a lot of good workers because they would not adjust their wages to what is currently in the market. Spend time in the facility before you start talking about things you don't even know about. Give the area managers a break and not have them manage so many facilities so that they can actually focus on each facility and work with with the program managers.

Money driven not patient or employee driven company

Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThey will hire new grads so they can pay them very little ..hence pts have unrealistic goals and nobody knows what they are doing

ConsBenefits are the worst sure they are cheap but they pay for Nothing ! Productivity is just yet another way they justify the elevated rug levels. Since therapist leave patients running so they can fill out the mounds of online docs very inefficient

Advice to Senior ManagementStop giving PDs bonuses and remember ethics should be top priority it's only a matter of time before Medicare does a huge focus audit here as they should.

Exhausting

PTA (Current Employee)
    Wilmington, NC

ProsGood cohesiveness of fellow workers

ConsNo merit raises, poor PTO per number of years employed, awful benefits, constant pressure to capture every minute regardless of patients ability to perform, health issues.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible Company to Work For

ProsThere are none. No positive experiences.

ConsThe company only cares about financials, especially productivity, that is set at an almost unobtainable level. When you do not meet those expectations the company threatens the therapists with write up or terminations with no warning. Rehabcare management also does not offer any suggestions to help resolve any issues the staff is having.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome and treat. Most management hasn't touched a patient in 10 or more years and they have no idea what life is like for the treating staff. Cut the hostile work environment!

Overuse

Occupational Therapist (Former Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsLarge company can offer different salaries dependent on experience and need.

ConsThe over worked therapists were very unhappy. Frequently the caseload FAR exceeded plausible 8 hour day. Though mandatory lunch breaks were discussed, therapist spent the majority of the time trying to finish work to exit at a decent time.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll therapist are aware of the need to watch the bottom line as we were educated to do so. Medicare continues to squeeze both companies and beneficiaries. Please consider treating the employees ethically from the recruiting to the daily communication. Selling to the client all you can produce for them while whipping your employees to death isn't the way to beat the competition.

Used to be good.....then the merger

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood team (which has nothing to do with the company itself)

ConsIt is more about keeping the contract than doing what is right. Upper management willing to provide numbers that client wants versus determining clinical need for services. Horrible benefits since merger with Kindred. If you are management be prepared to work every single day. Instead of getting better benefits ownership just gets more money. Zero pay raises in the last 3 years with increases in job requirements, productivity, documentation, etc. Basically, no compensation for asking you to do twice as much every year.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo the right thing. Would you rather have a contract with a client or a reputation as an honest and dependable rehab provider? You would think a 30 million dollar settlement would change your practices but sadly it has not. Share the wealth with those that got you the money.

Run Don't Walk Away

ProsThe therapists are great to work with, and the program director is excellent. She always checks PTO to be sure it is only used as needed on longer pay periods, and works weekends to cover minutes that might have been missed with a day off.

ConsThe company cares more about being productive than patient care. I work in a skilled care facility and am told I am wasting time helping to adjust a resident in a chair or adjust a wheel chair for safety.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little less productivity requirements and therapists will spend more time coordinating care and positioning with staff, and noticing residents that would benefit from therapy vs rushing from one to the next!

Little to no training, no respect for employees, only care about numbers and not patient care

Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsEnjoy working with other disciplines (Not specific to RehabCare)

ConsNo raises or opportunities for growth, management is not qualified for their positions and not interested in providing high quality care. Poor training opportunities, did not feel supported by company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training opportunities, give incentives for certifications, regular employee reviews. Patients are more important than minutes, once you learn that everything else will fall into place. Licensed therapists are professionals and should be treated as such and not micromanaged.

Never again will I work for this company

Occupational Therapist (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThere was a great team of therapists. Patients were for the most part, appropriate for treatment. The facility had many outdoor spaces to treat, as one would expect in CA.

ConsAs a traveling therapist, productivity expectation was 90%. Maybe doable in some facilities, however not where I was. The expectation was for me to stay off the clock to document, was not going to do that. Even the staff therapists had to do it in order to survive, and their productivity standard was less than 90%.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that travelers are still human, and really exist to fill a spot that the company cannot fill otherwise. Unrealistic expectations make RehabCare a truly awful place to work. 90% productivity is only somewha realistic for COTAs, and even then, that's really pushing it.

Extremely disappointed. I do not want this company to be in my community.

PD COTA (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsI worked with some awesome therapists who wanted to do good, quality patient care, but who were not allowed to do so.

ConsPassive/aggressive approach to the encouragement of fraud and abuse just to obtain the almighty dollar. Patients were not considered people but a means to financial gain. Employees ignored when compliance issues brought up to Senior PD's and Area Managers. If you brought up complaints you were pretty much tagged as a "difficult" employee. PD's showing favoritism and allowing fraudulent billing/time practices. PD's who were trying to go about business in an ethical manner were chewed out or "re-educated" about the importance of Part B billing. Encouraged to treat semi-comatose patients at an Ultra High level.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you would put the focus back on the patient and encourage ethical treatment then your profits would be abundant. Keep on continuing the way you are and you will spend most of your profits in lawsuits with the OIG. I just wish that your compliance department wasn't a joke.

Worked for RehabCare? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RehabCare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for RehabCare CEO John H. Short. All 106 reviews posted anonymously by RehabCare employees.