RehabCare Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

2.2

RehabCare President, CEO, and Director John H. Short
John H. Short

Pros
  • Flexible schedule and co-workers are good people (in 7 reviews)

• Get paid on time and has decent benefits pkg (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The company cares more about being productive than patient care (in 9 reviews)

• Forced to have a high productivity 95% (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a good place for a new grad to begin

I have been working at RehabCare

Pros

flexible, lots of hands on experience

Cons

inappropriate RUGs, money driven company.

I started here as a new grad, but since there is a raise freeze i am stuck with a new grad salary with no hopes of getting a raise. i am a well-regarded professional in my area and it is extremely annoying to have a train other SLPs with no medical experience but they are making up to 5-9$/hr more than me. higher ups really need to reevaluate the raise freeze because the only way i can get a raise is by leaving and moving to another company.

Money hungry

Current Employee - PTA  in  Raytown, MO
    Current Employee - PTA in Raytown, MO

I have been working at RehabCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good documentation equipment
    okay reimbursement for CEU's

Cons

No room for advancement
    no raises
    poor benefits
    Care more about money than about employees or patients

Could do better, could do worse

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at RehabCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some benefits are nice, like the health saving account contribution and the account for CEU.

Cons

High productivity rate, shoddy software for billing, freeze on employee raises, cutting benefits like 401k matching

Share the wealth with the employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be good.....then the merger

I worked at RehabCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good team (which has nothing to do with the company itself)

Cons

It is more about keeping the contract than doing what is right. Upper management willing to provide numbers that client wants versus determining clinical need for services. Horrible benefits since merger with Kindred. If you are management be prepared to work every single day. Instead of getting better benefits ownership just gets more money. Zero pay raises in the last 3 years with increases in job requirements, productivity, documentation, etc. Basically, no compensation for asking you to do twice as much every year.

Do the right thing. Would you rather have a contract with a client or a reputation as an honest and dependable rehab provider? You would think a 30 million dollar settlement would change your practices but sadly it has not. Share the wealth with those that got you the money.

Another Bad SNF

Former Employee - PRN SLP  in  Leesburg, VA
    Former Employee - PRN SLP in Leesburg, VA

I worked at RehabCare as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

1 block from my house, decent PRN hourly wage. Nice coworkers. They have VitalStim.

Cons

Poor facility with not enough nursing/aides, but pretty much par for the course as a small SNF goes. Horrible food regardless of diet orders. Got tired of being called in to work for ONE hour here and there - In 2013 worked a TOTAL OF 3 HOURS for them. This despite living down the block, making myself available and despite numerous snow storms that I said I could walk to them if need be. So I took myself off their list. PRNs have to do all paperwork ON PAPER. I never felt welcome or like part of the team there.

Poor orientation process. Poor attention to detail.

Challenging at times

Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist  in  Suffolk, VA
    Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Suffolk, VA

I have been working at RehabCare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Wide range of facilities to work in including the Hampton Roads area.

Cons

There is not a good employee review board to go to if one has a complain.

You have to respect all disciplines.

Run Don't Walk Away

I have been working at RehabCare full-time

Pros

The therapists are great to work with, and the program director is excellent. She always checks PTO to be sure it is only used as needed on longer pay periods, and works weekends to cover minutes that might have been missed with a day off.

Cons

The company cares more about being productive than patient care. I work in a skilled care facility and am told I am wasting time helping to adjust a resident in a chair or adjust a wheel chair for safety.

A little less productivity requirements and therapists will spend more time coordinating care and positioning with staff, and noticing residents that would benefit from therapy vs rushing from one to the next!

Good company...overall.

Former Employee - COTA
    Former Employee - COTA

I worked at RehabCare

Pros

Overall great company to work for. Corporate works show the therapists that they care.

Cons

Trouble finding and keeping good Program Directors

Pay attention when morale gets low. The reasons may surprise you.

Learning lessons the hard way as a new grad....

Current Employee - Physical Therapy Assistant  in  San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Physical Therapy Assistant in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at RehabCare as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

My co-workers are AMAZING! The rehab team at my facility is truly a top-notch group of professionals who do all we can everyday to give our patients the best care by communicating with the other disciplines/therapists to gather information about how the patient is tolerating treatments, observed barriers to progress or ideas to advance patient based on individual experiences while working with the patient.

ZERO personal drama between the rehab staff/team therapists. at least that is the way I have experienced this group over the past year; respect for the PT Aides/Technicians is also a consistent practice demonstrated by the rehab team - they are so important to us and to our patients as they help keep the "flow"!

The personnel and the patients are great - a good effort is made to keep the facility clean and well-run which is a challenge at best on any given day but you can tell the staff sure does try!

Cons

My perceptions are a lack of effective training and instruction with EMR system; considering the importance and emphasis placed on therapists' productivity by this company, more time, attention, and effort should be given/required to be given to new employees in order to ensure successful and accurate documentation and billing. The system itself is not complicated, however, there are many aspects of documentation logistics that the new graduate will be able to pick up on until significant time is spent on the job.
    So much/too much weight and expectation is placed on the (high) productivity percentages without consideration for the level of user experience and amount of time the therapist has had the chance to spend learning/using the iTouch and EMR software/app.

Less than average earning potential. Unless a stellar contract is negotiated prior to starting a position don't expect to increase your pay-rate once you've "signed on the line" (no raises have been given for 4+ years according to staff).

Please know that your employees really do care about their patients and their families. So far each transitional care facility/rehabilitation hospital I have had the opportunity to work at the rehab team members have been amazing! The skill and professionalism demonstrated by the RehabCare therapy staff is by far some of the best I've had the privilege to work with AND learn from! My advice is to please, please recognize the value and importance of each and every individual who chooses to comes to work for RehabCare - Kindred by being leaders in providing improved wage-earning opportunities and merit-based rewards for therapy teams who are TRULY giving their best EVERYDAY to help make and keep our company among the top facilities people choose to trust with the care and well-being of their beloved family members!

Thank you for taking the time to read, and hopefully consider further, my input and advice in this section.

Laid back and hands-off corporate environment

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at RehabCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoyed the relatively non-invasive management style in the corporate office. There was expectation of getting tasks completed on time but no one sitting on your back to do them.

Cons

While having freedom was good, lack of communication and project structure left me unprepared for my next role in a company that was much faster-paced.

Adopt and implement agile or waterfall project management structures.

Worked for RehabCare? Contribute to the Community!