RehabCare

www.rehabcare.com
Employer Engaged

This company only cares about numbers

Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at RehabCare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Each place is different, according to the contractors that come in to help, but from my experience working in this company, the 2 pros are flexible hours and fairly decent pay. You can come in and work from 5-1, 10-6, or whenever. They don't make you click out for lunch either, which is nice. As long as you can maintain a caseload ( ours has been a little low lately) you can make fairly decent money.

Cons

No one seems to care one bit about anything except the bottom line. They won't purchase materials, give you enough time to manage paperwork, and they don' seem to train their PD's on anything but how to produce and make their bonuses. They give you a little money annually for training but you have to use PTO time to do it. Speaking of PTO, that is one of the worst things about this company. You earn it but you can't use it unless someone covers for you. That means you won't have any holiday off. You can't even plan and look forward to a trip away from work because some unknown person in a corporate office has to find coverage for you, and you won't know until a couple of weeks ahead of time. The job itself is stressful because they expect 85-90% productivity so you need that time away.

Train your PD's better so they know how to manage and approach people. The one we have now has really run our morale into the ground. She comes in around 10 or 11 and leaves around 3 or 4, takes multiple vacations a year, always off on the holidays, greatly discourages us from talking about things that bother us, seems to have a closed door policy, yet still makes big fat bonuses because the therapists work hard.

It is O.K.

Current Contractor - Physical Therapist Assistant
    Current Contractor - Physical Therapist Assistant

I have been working at RehabCare as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I am PRN so that would be just being able to go to work when you want as long as you get all your minutes covered but that is anywhere. I don't work FT for RehabCare so I cannot come up with a good list of Pros.

Cons

Cons of working for RehabCare is that they still require daily and weekly notes. Weekly notes are paper and the dailies are via mini IPAD. You have to "clock in and clock out" each patient which really drags your productivity down since you have to coordinate your patient between OT, PT and Speech to make sure your time with them do not overlap other disciplines. If you are in a small nursing home I guess that wouldn't make too much of a difference, but when you get in a bigger bed facility it becomes difficult!

Much better than being unemployed

Current Contractor - PRN Physical Therapist Assistant in Austin, TX
    Current Contractor - PRN Physical Therapist Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at RehabCare as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Almost everyone is friendly. This company has treated me better than any company I worked for since I became a PTA. This company seems more fair and ethical than most of the companies I worked for as a PTA. The nursing home employees get along better with the RehabCare employees than I have seen when a different rehab company was providing the rehab workers at a nursing home.

Cons

Census level changes quickly and often. Since I am PRN that means many of my shifts are cancelled or cut short. There is usually not much notice. The locations that need my help tend to be 10-22 miles from home. Occasionally I work at some farther than that. The company is disorganized. There are many error in the programs on our iPads and delays in getting certain types of pay on our paychecks. I do trust the company to try to correct these errors. We are paid only twice a month. The company is overly concerned with productivity. The employees who have benefits say they are not good.

Lower productivity standards would allow for better patient care. PRN's do not read minds. There needs to be more orientation of PRN's. Some locations make too big a deal about not wearing scrubs, even when the PRN worked most of the day at a facility that requires scrubs and then came over to help out for a couple of hours at the facility that does not allow scrubs. As long as the PRN is dressed to perform her job safely and is fairly clean I don't see how wearing scrubs in the building for a few hours is so terrible.

Work somewhere else

Current Employee - Rehab Tech in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Rehab Tech in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RehabCare full-time

Pros

Benefits package is good, generous PTO, directors strive to give you enough support to be successful, wonderful wealth of resources and online training.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive for the area, no raises, care more about productivity than quality patient care, little to no training when you start, high turnover rate within buildings.

invest in your staff.

My experience with rehab care has been awesome.

Current Employee - Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant in Portsmouth, OH
    Current Employee - Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant in Portsmouth, OH

I have been working at RehabCare part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Rehab care has a very flexible work schedule I could start as early as I wanted and take a lunch for as long as I wanted as long as I provided treatment for my entire case load that day.

Cons

Caseload can change from week to week. Some weeks were high and. Some were low. I feel like I have lost some of my skills bc I have been seeing a lot of the same diagnoses and providing similar treatments to the patients.

Upper manage wasn't involved much during my time with rehab care. I would like to see more involvement

This company that does not care much about workers

I worked at RehabCare part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked part-time and have gotten very good professional experience, which I can consider as a "foot in the door" to a medical setting. My co-workers were great, work was not that far from home.

Cons

The company is "cheap": there was no pay increase since I started working, they don't pay 150% for working on holidays but they expect you to work on holidays! Continuing education annual budget is ridiculous if you work part- time, it's hardly enough to pay for your license, and they don't pay for those days you will be going for your continuing education: you have to use your PTO. By they way, they don't separate sick days form vocation days, it is all PTO (paid time off).
    Work hours are not guaranteed: you have you go home if the census is low, or they can tell you not to come at all to work; so, you never know what money are you going to get. Practically, it's more like working PRN. If your productivity is low a couple days, they will be on you for that, and you have to explain why you were so unproductive.

Think more about the workers!

Huge inefficient company that cares about numbers and NOTHING ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO WORK FOR THEM.

I have been working at RehabCare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I get a paycheck every 2 weeks

Cons

Every department is in a silo with no communication.
    Poor benefits
    Cares about finances and nothing else
    Takes very poor care of employees
    Unproductive and inefficient.

Focus on your internal processes in HR to help those of us in the field that are diligently working to help patients and keep our customers happy.

Great coworkers but ridiculous expectations

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at RehabCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rehab professionals in general tend to make for awesome coworkers. The therapists are all really great and want to do the best for patients. Most sites are pretty flexible with hours and days off.

Cons

Unrealistic productivity expectations (>90% even for therapists who have to do all the weeklies, discharges, and evaluations) force you to do all of your documentation while you're with the patient. Every minute of your day is managed on the ipads, "starting" and "stopping" each patient as you see them. Program directors rarely last more than a year. All documentation is done on ipads which make it nearly impossible to complete thorough documentation quickly. There is a lot of pressure to see Medicare A patients at the highest reimbursement level (over an hour a day). There usually isn't a lot of flexibility built into your day when things don't go smoothly, like if a patient takes a lot longer than you expected.

Lower productivity expectations! I became a physical therapist because I love doing hands on, evidence based treatment. Having a patient ride a bike or do seated exercises so I can document while I'm with them is not high quality care!

Regional Manager - Recruiting

I have been working at RehabCare

Pros

Strong, stable growing company that cares for employees and the patients that we serve.

Cons

Perhaps there is a little bit of room for improvement with communication from corporate to staff level employees.

Occupational Therapist Assistant

Current Contractor - COTA in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - COTA in Houston, TX

I have been working at RehabCare as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Currently, I work PRN and due to working at different locales, am able to experience varied settings and teams. I have befriended some very upstanding clinicians in most of these places.

Cons

When working PRN, you are at the bottom of the work pool. When the patient census decreases to the extent where there is insufficient time for full-time and floater staff, I am either cancelled or simply not offered assignments.

Busy, but never too busy to assist.