RehabCare

Updated December 16, 2014
2.5

RehabCare President, CEO, and Director John H. Short
John H. Short

Pros
  • positive environment, promotions, flexible schedule (in 8 reviews)

• good benefits, they actually listen to therapists opinions (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management willing to provide numbers that client wants versus determining clinical need for services (in 11 reviews)

• Company wanted increased productivity even though it compromised patient care (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

RehabCare, ARE YOU LISTENING!?

Former Employee - COTA in Biddeford, ME
    Former Employee - COTA in Biddeford, ME

I worked at RehabCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have (had) a job & Most Co Workers, OT, PT SLP are knowledgeable and compassionate

Cons

We are your backbone! Yet are treated like disposables. When I'd finally had enough of subliminal bullying, post its, calculating your productivity before AND after your shift, public posted productivity, "beating dead horses" (you know what that means with NO DISRESPECT TO PATIENTS) "Capturing" mins by all means necessary , malfunctioning Ipods, insufficient laptops, Screens, (who wants to do those when they "reduce" your productivity) BTW, that's not taken into consideration. Fed up one particular day after being told when I am ill or want vacation to solicit my own replacement from the outdated per diem pool. Using PTO time to "make up for no hours" and the DM showed up, I voiced my opinions and was brow beaten and treated like I was the unethical one, I walked. I only wished I'd recorded the conversation.

KARMA. When you treat your staff like sheep, eventually what you'll have left is anarchy. People need to work to pursue their own needs. And may cooperate unethically just to keep their jobs. Come to a facility, Some of you were Therapists at one time, make a day of it with all the productivity innuendos, maybe you'll sing a new tune.

Interview

I have been working at RehabCare

Pros

Ipad, rehab director/staff was friendly

Cons

Low starting wage, little supervision

Swimming with sharks...

Former Employee - Therapy Staff in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Therapy Staff in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at RehabCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best part of my job was the awesome therapists I had the priviledge of working with everyday. My co-workers were the best group of people I have ever worked with!

Cons

If you like being disrespected, degraded, bullied, and treated like a number, then this is the place for you!

RehabCare is run by morally-bankrupt and ethically-challenged sharks. They don't care about you, your facility, or your patients. All they care about is money. They push unrealistic productivity expectations. You will never hear praise; you will only ever hear that you aren't good enough and that you are letting your manager down. You will be expected to cut your hours if there are holes in the schedule because the company won't do its job (marketing) and get patients in the door; instead, YOU will be expected to do it! You will also be expected to perform janitorial services. That's what you went to all those years of college for, right?!
    You will be expected to do or ignore things that are unethical and when you question those things, you will be retaliated against by having your hours cut and then eventually having your position "eliminated". Don't count on direct, open communication- it doesn't exist. You will be micromanaged and badgered with countless post-it notes and passive-agressive emails. Should you have the unfortunate task of speaking with HR or upper management, they will manipulate every word you say and use your words against you and shake their fingers at you (no joke) and make you feel like a scolded child. You apparently have to be an egomaniacal monster to be in upper management. They have created a toxic workplace and when you try to do something about it, they sink their teeth into you and bleed you dry.
    Stay out of the RehabCare water!

Dear Upper Management,
    You clearly have no ethics, morals, integrity, or people skills. A monkey could do your jobs better.You should really look into a different career path. Your employees are the only reason you have your miserable jobs so maybe you should stop being so ungrateful. Here's a suggestion: a simple "Thank You" goes a long way. Try appreciating your staff and maybe, just maybe, your reputation would improve enough so you can get that schedule full and reach that oh-so-important productivity goal. As it stands, the reputation of this company isn't so hot. Might want to consider doing something about that.
    Just a thought.

Degenerated from a good company in 2000 to unbelievably poor across 6 states.

Former Employee - CCC-SLP in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - CCC-SLP in Cleveland, OH

I worked at RehabCare part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Found working with highly motivated and knowldgeable DPT's, OTR's and SLP's to be a great pleasure. They are just highly overworked. And often sad.

Cons

Smart therapists that come into the company, soon leave. Therapists are often required to make dramatic gains without access to materials or equipment. Ridiculous productivity requirements. They work with patients who are often straight from hospitalization and still fragile, unable to do 3-5 hours of grueling therapy a day.

Regular business degrees do not belong in healthcare. Hire people who have actually worked in the medical arena before they get their MBA's. You might get a decent company.

Central Texas

I have been working at RehabCare (more than an year)

Pros

Work with a great staff

Cons

Productivity level expectations are unreasonable

Great company to work for, flexable hours and great work enviroment

Former Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Knox, IN
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Knox, IN

I worked at RehabCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People and facility were are pleasure to work with

Cons

Productivity percentage were really high to perform proper therapy time

Great company

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Phila, PA

I have been working at RehabCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sponsors Visa, Good pay, No contract

Cons

Pay increment is not much every year, no extra bonus or perks

Unethical to therapists and the patients

Current Employee - Program Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Program Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RehabCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

co-workers, area manager, patients, electronic documentation, location

Cons

Upper management, especially at the regional level. Visits the facility along with the area manager once a year and things he/she knows it all. Puts the area manager under the gun to make the number go where they want. No support for further training/education. Forced to have a high productivity 95% +. No room for advancement unless you want to suck up to the regional in charge.

Don't put your area managers and rehab directors under the gun to produce numbers that are not realistic. Care about your therapists and pay a fair wage. Lost a lot of good workers because they would not adjust their wages to what is currently in the market. Spend time in the facility before you start talking about things you don't even know about. Give the area managers a break and not have them manage so many facilities so that they can actually focus on each facility and work with with the program managers.

Money driven not patient or employee driven company

Former Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at RehabCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They will hire new grads so they can pay them very little ..hence pts have unrealistic goals and nobody knows what they are doing

Cons

Benefits are the worst sure they are cheap but they pay for Nothing ! Productivity is just yet another way they justify the elevated rug levels. Since therapist leave patients running so they can fill out the mounds of online docs very inefficient

Stop giving PDs bonuses and remember ethics should be top priority it's only a matter of time before Medicare does a huge focus audit here as they should.

There is no commitment to the employee for hours or income;no such thing as full-time, its all PRN with benefits.

I have been working at RehabCare

Pros

RC has contracted with a great facility and existing staff.

Cons

There are unreasonable productivity demands

Exercise the total management model and do our job exactly as you are asking for 2 weeks.