RehabCare Reviews

Updated October 12, 2014
2.4

RehabCare President, CEO, and Director John H. Short
John H. Short

Pros
  • positive environment, promotions, flexible schedule (in 7 reviews)

• Get paid on time and has decent benefits pkg (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management willing to provide numbers that client wants versus determining clinical need for services (in 10 reviews)

• The company cares more about being productive than patient care (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Little to no training, no respect for employees, only care about numbers and not patient care

Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Boston, MA

I have been working at RehabCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Enjoy working with other disciplines (Not specific to RehabCare)

Cons

No raises or opportunities for growth, management is not qualified for their positions and not interested in providing high quality care. Poor training opportunities, did not feel supported by company.

Better training opportunities, give incentives for certifications, regular employee reviews. Patients are more important than minutes, once you learn that everything else will fall into place. Licensed therapists are professionals and should be treated as such and not micromanaged.

Learning lessons the hard way as a new grad....

Current Employee - Physical Therapy Assistant in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Physical Therapy Assistant in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at RehabCare as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

My co-workers are AMAZING! The rehab team at my facility is truly a top-notch group of professionals who do all we can everyday to give our patients the best care by communicating with the other disciplines/therapists to gather information about how the patient is tolerating treatments, observed barriers to progress or ideas to advance patient based on individual experiences while working with the patient.

ZERO personal drama between the rehab staff/team therapists. at least that is the way I have experienced this group over the past year; respect for the PT Aides/Technicians is also a consistent practice demonstrated by the rehab team - they are so important to us and to our patients as they help keep the "flow"!

The personnel and the patients are great - a good effort is made to keep the facility clean and well-run which is a challenge at best on any given day but you can tell the staff sure does try!

Cons

My perceptions are a lack of effective training and instruction with EMR system; considering the importance and emphasis placed on therapists' productivity by this company, more time, attention, and effort should be given/required to be given to new employees in order to ensure successful and accurate documentation and billing. The system itself is not complicated, however, there are many aspects of documentation logistics that the new graduate will be able to pick up on until significant time is spent on the job.
    So much/too much weight and expectation is placed on the (high) productivity percentages without consideration for the level of user experience and amount of time the therapist has had the chance to spend learning/using the iTouch and EMR software/app.

Less than average earning potential. Unless a stellar contract is negotiated prior to starting a position don't expect to increase your pay-rate once you've "signed on the line" (no raises have been given for 4+ years according to staff).

Please know that your employees really do care about their patients and their families. So far each transitional care facility/rehabilitation hospital I have had the opportunity to work at the rehab team members have been amazing! The skill and professionalism demonstrated by the RehabCare therapy staff is by far some of the best I've had the privilege to work with AND learn from! My advice is to please, please recognize the value and importance of each and every individual who chooses to comes to work for RehabCare - Kindred by being leaders in providing improved wage-earning opportunities and merit-based rewards for therapy teams who are TRULY giving their best EVERYDAY to help make and keep our company among the top facilities people choose to trust with the care and well-being of their beloved family members!

Thank you for taking the time to read, and hopefully consider further, my input and advice in this section.

Laid back and hands-off corporate environment

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at RehabCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the relatively non-invasive management style in the corporate office. There was expectation of getting tasks completed on time but no one sitting on your back to do them.

Cons

While having freedom was good, lack of communication and project structure left me unprepared for my next role in a company that was much faster-paced.

Adopt and implement agile or waterfall project management structures.

Never again will I work for this company

Former Employee - Occupational Therapist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Occupational Therapist in San Diego, CA

I worked at RehabCare as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

There was a great team of therapists. Patients were for the most part, appropriate for treatment. The facility had many outdoor spaces to treat, as one would expect in CA.

Cons

As a traveling therapist, productivity expectation was 90%. Maybe doable in some facilities, however not where I was. The expectation was for me to stay off the clock to document, was not going to do that. Even the staff therapists had to do it in order to survive, and their productivity standard was less than 90%.

Realize that travelers are still human, and really exist to fill a spot that the company cannot fill otherwise. Unrealistic expectations make RehabCare a truly awful place to work. 90% productivity is only somewha realistic for COTAs, and even then, that's really pushing it.

I find RehabCare a difficult company to work for. There is very little training before you start work.

Current Employee - SLP in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - SLP in Worcester, MA

I have been working at RehabCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The salary is based on experience and education. The hours are flexible.

Cons

The caseload is not guaranteed and if you don't have a caseload you are sent home without pay. this is not explained at interview. Essentially you are paid as a full time employee but you are actually per diem worker

The new hires need to be well trained before placed in the work area/with the patients

Extremely disappointed. I do not want this company to be in my community.

Former Employee - PD COTA in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - PD COTA in Chicago, IL

I worked at RehabCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with some awesome therapists who wanted to do good, quality patient care, but who were not allowed to do so.

Cons

Passive/aggressive approach to the encouragement of fraud and abuse just to obtain the almighty dollar. Patients were not considered people but a means to financial gain. Employees ignored when compliance issues brought up to Senior PD's and Area Managers. If you brought up complaints you were pretty much tagged as a "difficult" employee. PD's showing favoritism and allowing fraudulent billing/time practices. PD's who were trying to go about business in an ethical manner were chewed out or "re-educated" about the importance of Part B billing. Encouraged to treat semi-comatose patients at an Ultra High level.

If you would put the focus back on the patient and encourage ethical treatment then your profits would be abundant. Keep on continuing the way you are and you will spend most of your profits in lawsuits with the OIG. I just wish that your compliance department wasn't a joke.

Great, if you love numbers and percentages more than patients.

Former Employee - Occupational Therapist
    Former Employee - Occupational Therapist

I worked at RehabCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great group of people who commiserated about the awful work situation they found themselves in. The money was good.

Cons

I felt like a factory worker where minutes were the product and the patient was nothing more than the tool to achieve my production goals. No money at all for new equipment to replace what was outdated and worn. Program directors who were slavish to the percentages. No time to spend speaking to families, other staff members, or for going to the bathroom on the clock for that matter.

Care about the patients! A good reputation and money will follow. Continue doing what your doing and you will loose good people and continue to build a lousy reputation.

I always felt like the company was never there for the therapist or residents, but to make money anyway they could.

Former Employee - PTA
    Former Employee - PTA

I worked at RehabCare part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My co-workers were top notch to work with. We all helped one another and treated patients like they were our own family.

Cons

Company wanted increased productivity even though it compromised patient care. Company gave administrator whatever he wanted even if it was detrimental to therapists. Company was very unethical and discriminatory towards therapists of female gender or of discipline need.

Learn to stand behind your therapist assistants that want nothing but the best for the residents and learn to stand up to bullying in the workplace by the administrator. They never addressed bullying in the workplace and gave into nepotism by hiring who the administrator wanted in management position versus clinical expertise.

Unethical, horrible work environment. Don't respect their therapists. All about the bottom dollar

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Springfield, IL

I have been working at RehabCare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good co-workers. Can't think of really anything else. Good continuing Ed pay.

Cons

Terrible upper management. They will act like they care about you but in the end it is all about the bottom dollar. No raises in over 4 years. Horrible medical benefits. They like to put PTA/COTA/ techs in program director positions to save money and they know that they can "train" these assistants to provide unethical RUG levels and med b patients on therapy. They see the frail elderly as a way to make money. Area managers provide no support. All they do is sit at home in front of their computers crunching numbers and complaining that rugs and med b aren't High enough. It's funny when you call your area manager and her kids are crying in the background while she is "working".

You are losing all of your long-time, loyal, ethical employees. The problem starts with your management. Check what your ADO's actually do as well as your PD's. Treat your employees with respect. See each patient as more than a ultra high category or med b unit.

Patient care minutes are more important that the patients.

Former Employee - COTA in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - COTA in Boston, MA

I worked at RehabCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was lucky enough to work with the most ethical, compassionate therapists.

Cons

Focus on productivity, not much time or encouragement for continuing education, 2 years without a raise however productivity standards remain/increase to higher levels, and at current contract end with staff being laid off, HR was absent in transition to new jobs or unemployment.

You should pay attention to the news around you and make sure that you support ethical treatment of clients, not just more minutes for larger payments. And it is time to recognize, support and pay those who are making the money for you.