Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago President and Chief Executive Officer Joanne C. Smith
Joanne C. Smith

1. Positive Experience, but happy to move on

Former Employee - Research Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Research Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some fun "fringe" benefits: being downtown, sporadic (2x/year) masseuses wandering the floor, offering in-chair massages. It felt good to be a part of helping people, even if my involvement was more tangentially related to patients.

Cons

I worked in a research lab, not with patients. Most of my lab equipment was fairly old, which made some of the work pretty frustrating. Some of the requirements were also a bit frustrating (time cards/reports). I feel like I stagnated a little bit; it's hard to advance in that environment.

2. PT

I have been working at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity, interesting patients, highly respected

Cons

Stressful, poor work life balance, competitive

3. Postdoctoral Fellow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to do rehabilitation research

Cons

not much room to grow

Don't work here

I have been working at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've enjoyed working with some of my coworkers.

Cons

CEO is a micro-manager and only hires people that will agree with her on everything. If you don't agree with her, you will most likely get fired. I've been in meetings where the CEO has said many people on our team are basically worthless, all while our departments management is just smiling and nodding like puppets.

Advice to Management

Learn how to stand up to the CEO and create a culture of people that are actually proud to work here.

6. Research Engineer, SMPP

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Access to world class, top of the line BioMedical Tech research.

Cons

Geared towards PhD's, highly connected. Limited growth potential in the research department if you are not on a PhD track. This is academia.

Anonymous

I have been working at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago full-time

Pros

The location and the overall value RIC has when it comes to providing the best care for their patients

Cons

Horrible management and leadership Work day is constantly stressful with no relief. Strict half hour lunches as well as micromanaging at all times from department head. No department orientation from day one. Expected to know the job and not ask questions Call offs are a regular thing leaving staff overworked and underpaid Employees not appreciated for work they do instead penalized for what hasn't been done the right way Highturnover within department, for good reason

Advice to Management

Provide better orientation and organization within the department. Leadership needs to recognize value of good employee. Maybe then turnover wouldn't be so high.

Stay Away! Stressful to life

Current Employee - Current Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent care for patients Excellent therapy session for patients

Cons

Favoritism among staff between whites staff with administrators and nursing Miniorites are not respected as they should Managers are not fit or knowledgeable to be leaders Always short staffed Nic Pick on everything but what is important Do not praise or thank staff for good work Staff winter gifts could be better for nursing staff considering the money the hospital recieves and has HR and other adminstrators recieve gifts from Tiffany's while nursing gets T-shirts Very little pay for the amount of work is performed and demanded. Policies are not enforced to all employees Patients are allowed to verbally abuse nursing staff without consequences Registered Nurses do not pull there weight with patients Lack of communication It isn't a hospital, its a nursing home with very little hospital setting Poor management

Advice to Management

Training on management skills Be more curiosity to minority staff Be fair to all staff regardless of race Pay more attention detail Acknowledge, understand and have a open door policy with staff Take nursing staff feelings concerns into consideration Understand that Patient Care Techs are the back bone of the corporation, without them care will not provided. Understand that nurses are not top priority Treat all staff equally regardless of race

Former Employee

I worked at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago

Pros

Autonomy and good learning experiences in the beginning. Good benefits, good bonus structure to even out small raises once it was implemented.

Cons

Focus became about processes and not patients. Department orientation was non-existent. Archaic processes and mentality of "that is the way it has always been done" is accepted, any questioning or push back to this is considered a mutiny. Favoritism and tenure within the organization are prioritized over what is productive and efficient. Physician demeanors and demands are considered gospel and there is no leadership in place to streamline anything or hold others accountable. Poor communication, micromanagement on little stuff, little leadership on big stuff. Not enough hours in the day to satisfy expectations dictated from multiple people and minimal understanding when circumstances were out of one's control. Too many hands in the pot. Constant expectation to maintain professionalism, however it was acceptable for others to say and do whatever they wanted without repercussions.

Advice to Management

Clean house prior to going to new hospital. Have those with actual management background and experience be in charge. Job descriptions and expectations should be clear and concise. Embrace change and efficient methods of doing things, it is the only way things will be successful. Stop nit-picking and support employees.

CEO is a horrible person and so is the leadership

I have been working at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago

Pros

Work is very rewarding and love working with patients

Cons

The executives rule with an iron fist. Disrespectful to staff needs. Lois Huggins only cares about pleasing CEO and is fake with employees. CEO is scary. Patient care staff is treated like we do not matter yet we are taking care of patients. No one dares to challenge management out of fear.

Advice to Management

Treat patient care staff with respect. We work hard and love our patients.

11. Great Place to work

I have been working at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago

Pros

Treats its staff and patients well, and is the top rehabilitation hospital in the nation

Cons

They have delicious burgers they cook outside that the staff can buy but unfortunately they are only sold during the warm summer months. But hey that's really a con about Chicago and not the RIC

RSS Feed </> Embed