Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago

Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago Reviews

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
3.5

Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago President and Chief Executive Officer Joanne C. Smith
Joanne C. Smith

Great Place to work

I have been working at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago

Pros

Treats its staff and patients well, and is the top rehabilitation hospital in the nation

Cons

They have delicious burgers they cook outside that the staff can buy but unfortunately they are only sold during the warm summer months. But hey that's really a con about Chicago and not the RIC

Volunteer

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago

Pros

Great work environment and wonderful patients

Cons

I really enjoyed volunteering at the RIC

Great learning environment for interns

Former Employee - Research Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Research Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

My internship at the RIC's Center for Bionic Medicine was one of the most valuable learning experiences of my life. In just one summer, I feel like I have solidified everything I have learned in school. The grad students, post-docs, clinicians, therapists, and staff are all very close and all work together. The work environment is a perfect balance of camaraderie and professionalism, and everyone is willing to offer interns advice with regard to career path.

Cons

Although some of the grad students at the RIC are interested in pursuing industry jobs upon graduating, the majority of students are interested in academia. This is not necessarily a con, but it can certainly be a deal-breaker for students hoping to be surrounded with other industry-minded students.

The internship program can not be any better. Thank you.

Couldn't have a better place to learn and gain experience about the rehabilitation field

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Office Culture - everyone here seems to love what they do. Learning experience - everyday seems like there's a new study or something to gain from working.

Cons

Not personally but other co-workers seemed to get stretched too thin and forced to take on more responsibilities than a 40-hr work week should entail - albeit partly because they love what they do. Research in itself makes it challenging for upward mobility career wise without pursuing higher level degrees - and this is the case here.

Patients are valued.. Staff are not so much.

Current Employee - Patient Care Technician
    Current Employee - Patient Care Technician

I have been working at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-The level of care for the patients is extraordinary. Seeing their progress makes every day worth it.
    -Being able to work at such a big-name hospital and gain experience is invaluable to advancing your career.
    -The beautiful view of Lake Michigan helps brighten any bad days!

Cons

-For being the "#1 Rehabilitation Hospital in America," the pay is definitely a joke. After taxes and benefits being taken out, I make much less than I even did as a PCT at a nursing home.
    -There is too much focus on the new hospital being built and raising money for that. It would be nice if there was more focus on making employees feel appreciated. With my salary here I don't even have enough to even consider donating anything.

Show some more appreciation to the nursing staff. We are the ones spending the most time with the patients, and for RIC to take advantage of our love of caring for people by the way we are paid and treated, is degrading.

Great place to work !!!

I worked at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago

Pros

You get really good experience in the medical field. And great continuing education training

Cons

Sometime the nurses think they can talk to you like your a child because you are a pct/cna

Treat everyone no matter your job tittle equal

Terrible place to work

Former Employee - Rehab Aide in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Rehab Aide in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Making a difference in the patients life.

Cons

Long hours
    Little pay
    Poor management
    Very tough to get raises
    Almost impossible to move up the ladder
    Must be extremely flexible with your job duties and time
    3 sick days a year
    Will get written up for simple things.

What is done for the patients is truly wonderful however, working for the company is just awful. Management is terrible, they don't care about you. You have to love the patients more than yourself and your life.

Happy employees make life better for the patients

DISRESPECTFUL TOWARDS MINORITIES, UNETHICAL PRACTICES

Current Employee - Finance in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Finance in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get paid every two weeks

Cons

Culture is favorable towards certain ethnic groups, very disrespectful towards minorities, very unethical practices, over worked-under paid, little room for advancement depending on ethnicity, Cliquish environment.

Focus on productivity not unethical practices. Employees are people too not behavioral modification experiments.

Fabulous work

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Chicago, IL

Pros

You are able to make SUCH a difference in a patient's life. RIC really does absolutely tremendous work. Everyone who works here truly cares about their patients, and the patients are so very grateful. Such a rewarding job!

Cons

The work is very physically and emotionally draining.

A lot of the time, the floors are understaffed. I understand budget issues, but nurses and PCTs cannot provide adequate care when they are so short-staffed!

Research Associate

Current Employee - Research Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

Rank #1 in the nation.

Cons

Hard to make the balance between the work and family.

Work load is above the average, and the pressure of project/achievement goal push you work harder.