Reinhart FoodService

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014
2.0

John Roussel

Working at reinhart was fun and exciting

Former Employee - Order Selector in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Order Selector in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Reinhart FoodService full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pros are you get a lot of work hours and health benefits.

Cons

The cons are working the the freezer at -20 degrees below zero that's too cold for anyone to have to work in.

Listen to the employees more. Take consideration that employees have to endure that type of cold.

Spinning in circles

Former Employee - Dsr in Sunbury, PA
    Former Employee - Dsr in Sunbury, PA

I worked at Reinhart FoodService

Pros

Many good friendships were made there. Strong buying power.

Cons

Way too much bean counting. Sales philosophy very convoluted. Sales reps were the bottom of the priority list. Much "cronyism" between management and certain individuals. Overpaying newbies while vets are treated like dirt. Basically the producers funded the salary guarantees of non-producing newcomers, who often left once their guarantees ran out.

Let the talent in the sales department loose to do what they do best.

Once sales driven, now purchasing driven company!

Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Reinhart FoodService full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Sales consultants have freedom to manage our territories with little restriction provided we are achieving our targets. Technology (On-Line System) is above above average and customer friendly. Exclusive Brands are good quality. Corporate Marketing does a nice job.

Cons

Culture is rapidly changing from the sales driven company that it has been for years to being purchasing driven. Many supply line people are ex-Sysco employees who want to make money on the buy side. Pads are increasing like mad and combined with the new commission plan is driving SC compensation in the toilet. Company is concentrating on the short term and ignoring the long term. Likely positioning company to be acquired (PFG/Gordon)

Look past the end of your nose, don't do all the knee jerk reactions. Stop changing course every time the wind blows from a different direction. Take care of your customers or someone else will.

Different for different warehouses

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Reinhart FoodService full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In Kansas City RFS was a great place. They purchased American Foodservice and maintained the leadership and the culture. We were told that our model was what they wanted for the rest of the locations. However, things were vastly different in Tennessee.

Cons

Kansas City: None. Tennessee is a good ol' boy warehouse. They are very focused on growth but all they want is new accounts no matter how small or insignificant. They will treat you well to your face and then fire you without warning if you don't have 40-50 active accounts regardless of if the accounts are efficient or profitable.

Be less like the other mega-distributors and run the company smarter. Cases per mile=profit. You don't take new accounts to the bank you take dollars. Getting new accounts for the sake of numbers won't pay off in the long run, it will ensure employee and customer turnover. Re-evaluate "sales cost" so the reps actually make money, or if you continue to insist on focusing on new business at least put a new account bonus in place to prevent burnout. Eventually the reps will discover that they are losing money by taking 2-3 case orders at 40 locations and will go to a competitor.

Poorly run Jacksonville, fl warehouse

Former Employee - Route Driver in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Route Driver in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Reinhart FoodService full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work hours are mostly over night, i was never told this in the interview but if you like that it could be a Pro. Good pay when you can get a route with a decent load. Good bonuses but you have to fight for them, almost always. Decent equipment.

Cons

Management!! Bad!!! Sooo bad....you can read other reviews about this company about how bad the management is but let me just say it again...its bad, its from the top down bad. Management will throw you under the bus the only question is when...1 year...5 years....20 yes i watched it happen to a guy that had been a drive with the company for 20 years...from a manger that had been with the company less the 5 over something not meriting dismissal.

Other Cons...poorly loaded trailers that you must unload by hand...this is major. Bad communication from management. Its very labor intensive work, you unload more then you drive.

I can only speak the the management of the transportation division...but this is almost a joke, my advice to management would be resign. The mismanagement is from the top down so it will never change.

Glad to be gone

I worked at Reinhart FoodService full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The divisional reps were great to work with. Other than that stay away. No jobs are safe and they push away all good talent. I can't even count how might good talent they scared away while I was there.

Cons

My supervisor was impossible- would give little to no direction and then reprimand subordinates for not doing it exactly as she would have. It could be as something as simple as putting columns in a slightly different order or not bolding something she would have. Sure there were some mistakes I made along the way while learning, but I have never had anyone treat me like I was so incompetent in my life.

A Horrible place to work

Former Employee - Order Selector in Marshall, MN
    Former Employee - Order Selector in Marshall, MN

I worked at Reinhart FoodService full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If there was a zero star option I would've chosen that. This place is horrible from the start. No advancement at all.

Cons

Too much work and get little pay. As an order selector management sets unrealistic expectations for a worker to do. Constantly lifting 60-80 pounds on your feet all day. Computers out of date. Employees are punished if they pick up too long at the end of the day. Horrible place to work. 15 minute breaks with one half hour break. Don't even think about applying here.

Sales Consultant

Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Reinhart FoodService full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work environment.

Cons

communication can be a hindrance at times

Up the ladder communication could be better.

It's been good for the most part. Starting and waiting for a good route is the hard part

Current Employee - Route Driver
    Current Employee - Route Driver

I have been working at Reinhart FoodService full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is good as long as you are willing to work hard and the benifits are good

Cons

Waiting for the good route to open up. New drivers need to put In there time and move up the ladder to get the good routes

They need to have the werehouse pickers to ride with drivers so they understand how hard it is to work with a bad load

BAD YEAR AT THE OFFICE

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taunton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taunton, MA

I worked at Reinhart FoodService full-time (more than an year)

Pros

leaving work everyday was the best feeling..now its even better..I feel like a weight is off my chest...what horrible year.

Cons

the people are so depressed and the managment is totaly screwed up because the company is in termoil..they will make your life hell, make you do things that are not part of job,we all have to sacrafice but this place is rediculous, people and the computer system and IT Dept sucks, and computers are so outdated no help in any Dept, people quit this pace like its the sinking titanic...its sad when people cant even say good morning..all they do is work!!!. if there is a blizzard you need to go to work..its insane conditions..they treat you horrible, and if you are owed a pay or bonus they will usually screw you on it..if you want to be happy do not work here, this place is one of the WORST... jobs!!!! I ever had..good redins..they all need interventions..I beleive hitler would have been better to deal wth..that is saying a mouth full.

fire all the old bring in new fresh people..because this place is sinking fast..the managment is out of control clicky and some kind of cult...everyone from the old company sticks together and revolts against the new people and its a joke..a bad dream real bad dream..(nightmare)...people need to seperate their personal life with professional...I feel bad for people there...they work them 6 7 days..and dont care about them...people leave, and those are the LUCKIEST PEOPLE..its ike prison that is whow bad ...it was so depressing...