Reinsurance Group of America Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Reinsurance Group of America President and Chief Executive Officer Greig Woodring
Greig Woodring

1. Great organization & leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Reinsurance Group of America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked here for many years. Corporate exec leadership is more in touch with lower level employees than many other large corporations. Local, Minneapolis leadership is friendly and approachable. The structure is a matrix, so most people have a dotted line to a few different departments. This sometimes is frustrating, but more often in my experience, it allows you to get involved in different projects when you want. In this company, that is a great way to earn a promotion - given the organization is relatively flat. Generally, scheduling is flexible and the benefits like paid time off are fabulous. They definitely support the balance between work and family life. Over the years, I have seen 5-10 people leave the company for another opportunity and almost every single person has tried to find a way back into the organization. That is a testament to how great this company is to work for.

Cons

The organization in Minneapolis is relatively flat - especially because many employees have been here for 15+ years. That sometimes has led to some stagnation - but in recent years, there has been a good amount of new hires due to growth - which will open up the company perspective. There are lots of opportunities to expand your career, but you have to be willing to move to St. Louis or to a different country.

2. Great Company to work for with lots of opportunity

I have been working at Reinsurance Group of America

Pros

Excellent global organization to work for, great work environemnt, strong leadership.

Cons

None that I can think of

3. Actuary

Former Employee - Actuarial
    Former Employee - Actuarial

I worked at Reinsurance Group of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Keep your head down. Do only what you’re asked to do. Have no career ambition or opinion on shareholder value. Having these traits you will be paid a good salary as RGA pays for mediocrity.

Cons

First reaction to any regulatory change is to challenge it. Audit and HR functions are ridiculously aligned to the businesses - no independence. Risk management is not influential. Some business segments spend days/hours engaging in deception and misdirection tactics when compiling performance communications to executive management

Advice to Management

Embrace regulatory change instead of logging seemingly endless hours looking for ways to avoid it.

5. Best job ever

I have been working at Reinsurance Group of America

Pros

Competitive pay, great benefits, smart and considerate co-workers, brilliant management, great trust with clients

Cons

Hard to think of one other than whatever uncertainty there is with the CEO eventually retiring, but even that isn't a huge detail because of strong executives who are able to fill in and largely already are doing so.

poorly managed and unethical

I worked at Reinsurance Group of America full-time

Pros

Compensation is high enough that poor performing and under-motivated people are able to stick around for ever. such a profitable business that they can afford to keep mediocre staff.

Cons

terrible corporate ethics. Most legal regulatory and audit requirements are sidestepped, obscured and otherwise honored in the breach.

7. Great benefits

I have been working at Reinsurance Group of America full-time

Pros

Rga offers great benefits

Cons

They do not offer a lot of room for growth

The most dysfunctional place I've worked.

I have been working at Reinsurance Group of America

Pros

Nice facility (new building) and the company is making money hand-over-fist.

Cons

RGA has the most dysfunctional leaders I've seen. I'm not talking about the managers on the ground trying to improve things. I'm speaking strictly about the Directors and VPs that love to see each other fail. They refuse to share the same vision for the future and will fight tooth and nail against ANY changes that "threatens" their power. It's really sad and makes getting things done almost impossible. What should take 6 months will take 4 years, because they'll spend 3 1/2 years arguing and backstabbing. Stay away... I was an IT contractor there for a year and couldn't get away quick enough.

Advice to Management

Senior management really needs to learn how to align to common goals that are for the better of the company, not argue about everything and drag change out as long as possible.

No opportunities

I worked at Reinsurance Group of America

Pros

Work is great but way too political. Company is financially sound & will be around for years.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement if you do your job well- fail at what you do and you will climb the corporate ladder! They do not respect long-term employees and people only stay because they think they can't make money somewhere else. For an insurance/reinsurance company, benefits are EXPENSIVE. Operations Department needs to change all management for a fresh look at work & no grudges remaining from 10 years ago. They don't care about their people. Look somewhere else for employment!!! Also they don't teach workers about processes - only encourage you to get the job done.

Advice to Management

Hire new management to give departments a fresh start. Get rid of processes leftover from General American days!

10. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Reinsurance Group of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been with RGA for almost 4 years, and have been very happy here. My supervisor is great, pay is great, and the flexibility is great. I feel like a have a good work-life balance. It has been nice to dress casually, although that policy is changing soon to become business-casual (still not too restrictive, though).

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

RGA is a great company, with a very strong financial backing. The Claims Division is full of great personal.

Current Employee - Claim Examiner in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Claim Examiner in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Reinsurance Group of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training program. You start off training with a member of the company's training team. Once you have accomplished this you are assigned a trainer who works in your division. This person will train you on the day to day aspects of the position.

Cons

The amount of work can be challenging. The change into a new imaging system has created a backlog of work that has lead to required overtime.

Advice to Management

Consider bringing on more full time employees to help ease the work load on current employees. This will help to lower your employee turnover.

RSS Feed </> Embed