Reliance Globalcom

Be The First To
Add Photos

Reliance Globalcom CEO William (Bill) Barney

William (Bill) Barney

Pros
  • Work-Life balance, tax saving options(in 4 reviews)

• Good people that are trying to get by with cookie cutter solutions(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Company does not understand to compete in markets outside of India(in 3 reviews)

• everything else including the worst management team ever(in 3 reviews)

Good learning experience for fresh graduates.

NOC Engineer (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGet to learn from experienced people who know what they are doing.

ConsHigh number of people leaving in short periods due to poor management.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove management style.

Service Delivery Manager

ProsPeople are great to work with, and minimum overtime

ConsLeadership is the worst that I have ever experianced. Processes are only inplace to be broken. Indian leadership feels employees are expendable. We have been told in company meetings that any job that can be worked in India will be moved over and this does show in company moral. Bills are never paid so the company is always having vendors shut off service. Employees are expected to lie to the customer until service it turned back on which often takes 2 weeks. People never stay for more then 2 years due to bad management

Very disorganized. Essentially still operating as three separate entities; Flag, Yipes and Vanco.

Project Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsMostly nice folks and convenient location.

ConsRefusal to make capital investments in network infrastructure

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Promising global telecom company destroyed by acquisition.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsFree soda? Free coffee? Wow, what else? A paycheck? I liked the HR company Trinet, it comes with a convenient website. Bottom line .... it's a job.

ConsNo raises for over 6 years; nothing since Reliance purchased Yipes.

Most of the computers and productivity software is 10+ years old. Get used to asking people to save documents into an older format.

Company charges for parking - currently $960 per year.

No formal training whatsoever - company relies on vendor presentations and informal training cobbled together by coworkers.

No conference attendance with exception of sales force, who attend conferences in a sales capacity.

No annual holiday party (or summer get together). Some years a quickly planned lunch at a local restaurant is sponsored. Sometimes the employees throw together a pot luck lunch.

Lay-offs once or twice per year over past 5 years

There are promotion opportunities if you are productive, have a good work ethic, and are in the right place at the right time. There is no formal or documented path to promotion. All promotions are made by the management team based on their perceptions, biases, and personal judgement.

HAD to Potential to be a Good Company in the US

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany very good employees who would go above and beyond to service their customers.

ConsThe very good employees who went above & beyond, not recognized or looked at as a liability and either eventually left on their own, or phased out. Having to misrepresent things to the customer is expected. Management at the time was 100% sales oriented and day-to-day customer support be damned....until something happened. Sales staff made up of Frat Boys / Boy's Club, only worried about their numbers and not the qualitly of the product.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe US "could have been" a great market for you.

Going Downhill Fast

ProsGood people that are trying to get by with cookie cutter solutions

ConsNo plan or strategy from the top

Advice to Senior ManagementMake faster decisions and listen to your people

Terrible company - avoid at all costs

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI'm not sure there are any.

ConsNo training provided, you're thrown to the wolves and expected to learn as you go.
    Equipment suppliers are constantly putting Reliance on credit hold since they don't pay their bills in a timely fashion.
    No raises in the US for over 3 years. They boast about a bonus program where you can receive up to 10% of your salary, but that's a joke. You're set up to fail and you're lucky if you get a 2-3% bonus if it happens at all that year.
    The salaries at this company are sub-standard compared to other telecom companies. We constantly lose good people because the company refuses to give raises.
    The Sales teams are the worse. They give you garbage orders and throw you under the bus every chance they get.

One giant clusterf*

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe one pro I can see to working at Reliance is that there are so many below-average employees, that if you have half a brain you're going to shine. Also as a result of this, there's a lot of job security.

ConsWhere do I start? First, there is absolutely no effort to keep talented people. In fact, sometimes I think they're viewed as liabilities (and expenses) that the company feels we're better without. We're not. When I began with the company 5 years ago, the talent was, while maybe not awe-inspiring, quite respectable. In those early days we could still even hire NEW talented people. Slowly, the brain drain took its toll and left us with what we have today: very few people who really know what their doing and essentially keep the company running, while the masses have learned how to do *just enough* of their job responsibilities to keep their heads, and the company, above water. Sometimes I wonder how RGCOM even stays viable. We have lost a number of big customers, but some of the key ones, because they're locked into a contract and the cost of replacing us is unconscionable, have stuck around... and make it known through words and actions how they feel about that.

A scenario: a former co-worker had performed his job admirably and thus promoted to higher and higher but given only minor raises. By the end, he was underpaid in his position by at least $20k/year. He tried to appeal to his management to even a minor increase in salary, not even asking for what he was work on the market. They refused to budge an inch. So, we lost him. And nobody has replaced him. That was about a year and half ago. Many people have left under similar situations and the rest of us have found it more and more difficult to do our jobs because back-filling those positions with equal skill isn't possible; the company just won't pay.

Other than that, we're in process overkill due to relying on overseas resources that are overly process driven (unable to use logic and critical thinking), there is no effort whatsoever to train employees, our computers are all falling apart, structural and organizational changes occur about every week, the culture internally has taken a massive downturn, and people seem to be just "getting by".

Bottom line: if you're not desperate for a job, do not work here. I won't be much longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to realize that to make money, you need to spend money. That means infrastructure investment, employee training, adequate compensation. This company is an industry follower, and has no real leadership. Leadership's role seems to be to keep the ship afloat, not make it into anything to be proud of.

I guess it sort of beats unemployment....maybe.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsSome of the legacy staff are very dedicated to making the company work. Free soda and coffee in the break room. The Denver office is next to a movie theater!

ConsThe executive staff in India has absolutely no idea how to manage a US-based company. They make uninformed decisions and cut staff/make changes/deny actions with no explanation and not a care in the world as to the impact. They haven't paid bonuses for 2011 because they feel some of the segments aren't doing well this year, even though the bonus is for performance last year.

Advice to Senior ManagementHand over the company to the US management. Period.

Good- if you have an American chain of command

Technical Support (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsLoved the people I worked with in the Denver, Chicago, San Fran offices. Consummate professionals, and a great bunch of highly intelligent people. Free soda!

ConsThe Indian bureaucracy will drive you insane. Make no mistake about it, this is an Indian company, and they take care of their own first. Bonuses were paid 3 months late, and there was no apology for that.

Advice to Senior ManagementNobody over in India would listen to us anyway, but the Americans here are pretty good people. Treat them as such and stop pretending like this is Mumbai.

Worked for Reliance Globalcom? Contribute to the Community!