Reliance Home Comfort

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sean O'brien

great company

Sales Agent (Current Employee)

I have been working at Reliance Home Comfort full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat management. excellent working anvironment

Conslittel growth, small compensation, older employees

Advice to Senior Managementgood management

Alright company workload is heavy..

I have been working at Reliance Home Comfort as a contractor

ProsWorking under minimal supervision
Good bonus incentive

ConsGrowing company requires more head counts in department but management doesn't approve.

Great Opportunities for High School Grads and Friends and Family

Retention (Former Employee)

I worked at Reliance Home Comfort full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPros: decent pay, great peers, most managers considerate with employee personal issues. Pros - This company offers employees a decent pay and benefits. Branch committees established to provide "fun days" to increase employee morale. Fantastic supporter of United Way. Wonderful peers. Great opportunities for high school grads and friends and family of Reliance. Great technical training. Management compassionate with employees when dealing with personal family issues.

ConsCons: lack of advancement opportunities, experience/education not valued, lack of trust with management. Cons - Inadequate sales training. Management will promote friends and family without experience/education. "Peter principle" a part of this culture. Good for people being promoted because they will try to find them another lateral job and then another lateral job to keep them employed. Many of my peers who left years before me complained about lack of opportunities and working for people who could not do their jobs. They felt being educated and or experienced was a negative when applying for internal opportunities. If you are looking for a job not a career this is a great company. If you have experience and/or education apply to "fast track" positions or the job you want. Advancements can take a decade due to their hiring managers. On a negative note I personally caught managers and HR in numerous lies which left me with little confidence in what was told to me as an employee. Overall the company provides a good living but needs to improve on promoting their talent

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend "exit" interviews for employees. Many employees in my department quit without notice. It is common for them to walk in, quit and then leave without 1 or 2 weeks notice. Management would say "oh this is a high turnover department, they don't last more than a year". Employees know this is not true and had to do a lot with their lack of opportunities and managers ethics. A substantial amount of these resignations were from employees who worked 2-5 years with the company.

Never a dull moment

I have been working at Reliance Home Comfort

ProsDynamic, growing company, allows me to drive positive change, have fun while working with great people

ConsNeed greater presence in big cities and brand awareness in general.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work and focus on developing and recognizing the contributions of all the proud and hard-working team members

Management can't make desicions

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Reliance Home Comfort full-time for less than a year

ProsDecent compensation. Growing company (so they say).

ConsManagement can't make basic decisions about the direction of the company. There seems to be too much behind the door politics and employees trying to bring down one another.

Advice to Senior ManagementDraw the line in the sand that bickering and infighting will not be tolerated at any level.

A very old-school hierarchical old-boys club

Program Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Reliance Home Comfort full-time for more than a year

ProsPay was solid and at this level, responsibility was strong.

ConsExtremely silo'd organization with far too many levels so there is very little to no exposure. Simply the worst management team I have ever dealt with. A lack of vision and just sitting back and waiting for their big retirement cheques.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecently the CEO was removed and that is step one. He was extremely corrupt and egotistical and that was rubbing off on the rest of senior management.

Great company to work for

Cambridge, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Reliance Home Comfort full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have the best manager

ConsOnly half hour lunch - could use a little more time

Competitive working environment but difficult to go up

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Reliance Home Comfort full-time

ProsThe level of competition is good for industry standard with decent compensation package. Can be good if you are looking for good payment jobs but if you want to maintain some level of work/life balance, it can be difficult

ConsRelatively low possibility to go up the ladder, especially for sales/marketing jobs

Industry are populated by smaller players and fierce competition in term of pricing and after-sale benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should make themselves more open to contribution and criticism

Excellent company that is forgetting how and who got them there.

I have been working at Reliance Home Comfort full-time

ProsAn excellent company has 3 keys to success, happy people, happy customers and good management.

This company went from a disaster to very successful but management is so focused on cutting costs and the delivering the idea of the week that it is forgetting what got them there. Good staff focused on customer service not how can I cut a dime from the cost of a service call.

As an employee the benefits started out great but are getting poorer. Benefits are often reduced with the claim either of "this new package is better than the old" when it is not or "bringing us in line with the industry". Although they claim they want to be an industry leader but their benefits are starting to lag the industry.

ConsAbility, performance and right or wrong have little importance here. The key to getting ahead is brown nosing. Company goals and policies change with the wind. Senior management says their employees are the key to their operations but they vigorously pursuing a policy of outsourcing work offshore or on a contract basis.

A company with no vision on what it will be in a few years and how to get there. The only focus is bigger and more profitable.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people like they deserve. They turned around a company that had a disastrous launch and made it very profitable and sustained that growth and profit during some very uncertain times. They are more than expenses to be minimized they are your future success.

Have a vision. Start thinking about what this company will be in 5 years. Stop focusing on your bottom line and bonus. Companies that treat their employees like Assets that need to be taken care of always do better in the long run.

Satisfying

I have been working at Reliance Home Comfort

ProsReliance Home Comfort is growing and new opportunities will present themselves to employees if you work hard enough for them.

ConsYou have to remember that every company has its politics and Reliance Home Comfort is no different. They are currently expanding and are trying to determine the best way to grow.

Worked for Reliance Home Comfort? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Reliance Home Comfort reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Reliance Home Comfort CEO Sean O'brien. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Reliance Home Comfort employees.