Reliance Star Payment Services

Fenella Yin Fang Kim

1. Place to Call Home

Former Employee - Call Center Manager in Great Neck, NY
    Former Employee - Call Center Manager in Great Neck, NY

I worked at Reliance Star Payment Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As the Call Center Manager for Reliance Star I can honestly say I had nothing but positive experiences as an employee. The ownership team does an awesome job of fostering a "team-first" environment where employees at all levels are appreciated and their feedback is actively sought out by ownership. I was made to feel welcome from the first day and all of my colleagues were warm and friendly.

The truth is I have never posted a review of a past employer on glassdoor or any site like it mostly because I don't put a lot of stock into what seems to be mostly negative input from bitter ex-employees of any company. If you think about it, these sites can be a lot like product reviews. People are far more motivated to post negative reviews about a company that terminated them rather than positive experiences from a company they left voluntarily the same way people can't wait to post a negative review of a product but aren't as motivated to post something positive. Once I started with Reliance Star I did take the time to check out the glassdoor reviews for my company because I heard some of my co-workers mention they had seen some negativity surrounding our CEO Fenella Kim. There was a particular post saying something like "the CEO is a micro-manager" or something to that effect. The fact is that the CEO Fenella Kim is a results driven leader who expects employees and managers to use actions rather than words to move the company forward. In all my time at Reliance Star, I found Fenella to be anything but a micro-manager so I felt obligated to offer another perspective here on this site.

No owner or manager is perfect, but Fenella is a leader that genuinely puts her people first and that's not something I can say for every owner I've worked for. So if things were so good there, why did you leave you ask? I left Reliance Star only because my wife had been running our family business for the past seven years by herself and through hard work and good fortune we have expanded to the point where I need to come on board with our company full time. If that had not been the case, I am 100% certain Reliance Star is a place I would have been happy to call home for years and years to come.

My advice to you as a potential job seeker is to use your own judgement. You'll see all types of reviews about companies online. There are reviews like mine encouraging you to join this winning team and some others that are much less flattering. After you meet with the ownership and management team at Reliance Star I know you'll feel at home. Hopefully this helps those of you considering a career at Reliance Star. You'll be glad you came aboard!

Cons

If there was anything negative about Reliance Star, it was the traffic around the company headquarters and the parking! Reliance Star has several reserved spots in a lot adjacent to the building but with how fast the company is growing, those spots are gone by 9am! The traffic on Lakeville Rd is a nightmare day or night, but there are ways around the sidestreets from the LIE for those of you commuting from Eastern Nassau or Suffolk.

Advice to Management

My advice is to keep doing what you're doing. Continue to put employees first and continue to provide a superior service to your customers. Everything else works itself out!

2. Run away fast

I worked at Reliance Star Payment Services full-time

Pros

The only good thing I can say about this place is the office is very nice. But that is basically it.

Cons

The CEO of the company really doesn't care about her employees. she only cares about what you can do to make her money and is not shy to show it. She pays her own people close to nothing (people very highly qualified). Management is horrible and very unprofessional.They hire and fire people like it's nothing.

Advice to Management

Care a bit more about your employees (or at least act like you do). Pay people what they deserve to be payed. Don't take advantage of people that are loyal to you. Be a little smarter with who you hire for management.

3. Great Company to work For!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Great Neck, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Great Neck, NY

I have been working at Reliance Star Payment Services

Pros

It's an honor to work with our CEO, Fenella Kim. She's brought this company from the infant stage to a very successful corporation and it's an honor to work for her.

Cons

No person or company is perfect but to watch and be a part of a growing company is a feather in my cap!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing; so far it's been an enjoyable ride here for me.

5. Great Team workers, small company, but committed to grow

I have been working at Reliance Star Payment Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyable experience to work with the team, the team are very supportive, especially the mid-managers. Management is very willing to spend monies in training. While the benefits and perks (actually no perks) are not as great as some fintech companies nowadays, considering the merchant service industry and its company size, it is better than many other companies. Management is trying to boost employees morale by giving out gift cards and rewards. Have seen gradual improvement in management in leadership skills and communication skill, if they stay on this track, with their hardwork and dedication, the company will definitely be at a better place. In general, they are on the right track by wanting to change.

Cons

Lose sight of the forest for the trees sometimes. Mid management have a tendency in making assumptions with no supporting data, general impressions, subjective opinions, trait based performance review but this practice is slowly going way, I hope.

Advice to Management

Understand and dare to take calculated risk (with supporting data), be more innovative and open-minded, be more transparent (as lean management comes from transparency and flatter organization structure), need to invest in IT, pro-active or quick to react to market changes, sensitive and quick to react to clients and employees needs, need to change from top-down approach to bottom-up approach, inside-out approach to outside-in approach.

6. Run Away!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Great Neck, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Great Neck, NY

I worked at Reliance Star Payment Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is no upside to working for this company

Cons

This is a small operation trying to act as if they are a big corporation. You will notice something is off from the interview, the owner will ask you tons of personal questions which will make you feel uncomfortable and they will try to pick your brains on how your previous company operated so they can have an idea how to run their company. If you do get the job, take a look at the huge office space and barely anyone sitting in the seats, this is an indicator of how horrible the job is. This company has been in operation for a few years and no one can last longer then 1 month at this job because the boss is a complete tyrant with not a clue how to operate their own business.

The owner of this establishment will lure you in with talks of making big money but once you get on board you realize it was all a sick dream she made up just to torture you. There will be no resting, your expectations is far beyond human with an impossible quota. The owner is extremely insulting, and she will say comments that will make any employment lawyer very happy. Your bathroom breaks will be monitored and critiqued along with every movement you make with all the camera watching you from every angle.

The owner will hire mainly people that needs working visa because she is well aware that she can torture them and they wont say anything just deal with the abuse. My advice to anyone with an interview with this company and thinking about quitting your job for this, PLEASE DON'T! No one has lasted longer then a few months, take a long look at the scared faces and ask this question to the people in the sales department, "how long have you been here?" that should give you a clue on how long you might last at this job.

Advice to Management

Sell your company to a person that cares for their employees and has an idea on to operate a business.

Reliance Star Payment Services Response

Apr 3, 2015CEO

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and we encourage an open dialogue at Reliance Star. The merchant services industry is a very competitive business and may not be the right fit for every sales ... More

7. Nice place to working here

Pros

Company promote some courses like ESL, Excel, managing etc. to encourage employees to strengthen our knowledge and skills.

Cons

You must have a good temper and strong resist compression, because some merchants using rough words to yelling you.

8. Great work experience, learn anything you want in this industry.

I have been working at Reliance Star Payment Services

Pros

1. Boss treats people with respect, really takes care of your talent and interesting, does everything she can to help you adapt with working environment.
    2. Like most of company, majority of co-workers are very nice and finish our goal as a team.
    3. Get paid on time

Cons

This industry is full of competition, you really need to stay focus, full of patience and energy. You should prepare for tons of pressure and commissions.

Advice to Management

Put more energy to build company's culture

9. Friendly Work Environment

Current Employee - Graphic and Web Designer
    Current Employee - Graphic and Web Designer

I have been working at Reliance Star Payment Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great place to work. Company offers fair pay and benefits, and a lot of room to grow. Friendly work environment, relocated to bigger and better office in Great Neck in Feb. 2014.

Cons

Need to hire more people, especially for sales team; 1 or 2 managers are not reliable and cautious enough.

10. Great Company with potential to be INC 500 company

Current Employee - Director of Operations in Great Neck, NY
    Current Employee - Director of Operations in Great Neck, NY

Pros

I've worked for Reliance Star for 4 years since 2010, I find Reliance Star as a high speed growing company with career opportunities in card processing industry. The culture of Reliance Star brings in fantastic people and a great team spirit, plus, a lot of learning opportunities; a lot of responsibility.

Cons

A lot of opportunities also means challenge. If you're open to the challenge and like the idea of multitasking, Reliance Star could be a great move for you; If change and taking on new responsibilities is not your cup of tea, you may quickly feel like the odd man out.

Advice to Management

I deeply believe people are the key to success on all companies, they are the company’s most important asset keep on bring in great team as usual for elevating the field .

A really bad company with a serious culture problem

I have been working at Reliance Star Payment Services full-time

Pros

You must enter at least 5 words for Pros.

Cons

leader lacks of long term vision
    Take advantage of unpaid interns and international students
    Push you to the sales position

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPAY!!!

Reliance Star Payment Services Response

Dec 19, 2014Graphic & Web Design

Reliance Star would like to respond to the Anonymous Employees post. We take pride and care in establishing a work environment that works well for our employees; not every employee is a fit for every ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed