Reliant Energy Reviews

Elizabeth Killinger

Incompetent Marketing Department

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Reliant Energy is a great place to work — for the paycheck. The company pays their employees about 15% more than other companies, which is easy since they charge their customers about 15% more for their electricity.

Cons

The leadership simply does not know what they are doing which makes them incredibly insecure around the few employees that do. The marketing department is run by a gaggle of mean women who confuse “girl power” with a “good ol’ girl” mindset that makes for a dysfunctional sorority. Leadership only hires and promote their friends, regardless of their level of competence or experience.

Move the Marketing/ Communications department to Princeton and hire either an agency or team with proven experience. How many more customers does Reliant Energy have to lose before NRG makes a change?

Don't waste your time !

Former Employee - Sales Agent  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros

I got a free nest thermostat : )

Cons

This is a MUST READ if you're considering being a sales agent for Reliant Energy/Tecomax !
    You're literally hired on the spot but don't be deceived , most don't stay . We had a hired class of about 49 people and maybe only one or two stayed .
    Here's why . Your day starts at 8am . Then you spend an hour or so listening to the millionaires of the company talk of their financial success . Then you sit around the office trying to hype each other up until about 1pm . From there you go to your territory . You're dropped off in a neighborhood from 1:30 to around 9:00 pm knocking the same doors over and over . While you're knocking doors your supervisors spend the day in their cars eating and staying out of the elements . Even if you have an emergency and have to leave they will not come get you . They say the ones that are successful endure it . That's your day .
    Also don't be deceived by the pay ! It's NOT $100 a deal the way they say . It starts at $80 a deal BUT the regional managers cut is also taken from that so you start at $60 a deal .
    Only the higher ups profit that's why they hire in volume knowing most won't stay

Wise up . Be honest with new hires

sad - safe yourself a headache

Former Employee - Special Projects Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Special Projects Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

There is nothing good about this place.

Cons

The managers, supervisors, coaches, and team leaders are all political. If they don't like you, they will get rid of you. All I can say is please do not waste your time working for this company. They will keep you in the same position for years and not offer you a promotion if they don't like you. I was one of the top salespersons here at this company. I went to luncheons, I won prizes, and all of my co-workers marveled at my performance, and when I moved to my new department my work was often structured, hidden, or deleted. I complained about it to my coach, and her reply was, "What do you want me to do?" My work badge to gain access into the building was deactivated more than once prior to my knowledge causing me to be locked in a hot stinky stairwell. I had to walk up like 5 flights of stairs to gain access back to my floor. By this time, I was sweaty and frustrated. Then, I would get back to my work station and receive an email saying that my badge was deactivated after the fact. When I told my coach that my badge was deactivated causing me wackiness to my morning, she laughed. On top of it all, they will find reasons to not pay you your incentive checks. On my last day of working there, after my supervisor told me I wasn't getting my incentive, she laughed hysterically all morning until the lady from Primary came and escorted me out of the building. I asked her why I was being let go, she said, unprofessionalism. When I applied for unemployment benefits, Reliant had told the unemployment people that I caused a scene, cursed out loud, and that's why they fired me. This is a bold face stupid lie. I didn't curse anyone out or use profanity. Not only will they lie to get what they want, but they will make up stories to hinder you from getting unemployment. Do not waste your time with these jokers. They will make your life a living hell. I constantly suffered from higher blood pressure than normal while working here and they only want to pay you pennies.

Be upfront and straight up with your employees. Lies are dangerous and could potentially make a situation worse. Treat everyone the same. If you are going to give one employee VRH(voluntary reduced hours) to prevent them from getting attendance points, do it for the next one. Listen! Listen! Listen! Lies are no way to solve an issue.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty good

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Reliant Energy

Pros

Its a big company with lots of potential

Cons

Lots of politics, don't pay alot. no appreciation.

Difficult Place to Work during Ownership Transition

I worked at Reliant Energy

Pros

People committed to their customers and each other
    Strong work ethic from employees
    Good benefits

Cons

Loss of benefits with new NRG ownership
    Lack of clear leadership from Senior Management
    Inconsistent support for retail business

Contractor

I worked at Reliant Energy as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great location, decent pay, comfortable workspaces

Cons

No love for contractors, who are not always treated the best way.

More openness

Inexperienced leaders. Too focused on operations vs. driving more business

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pays well. Benefits are okay. People are mostly nice.

Cons

Leadership is like-minded and has been working together for over 10 years. No upward mobility unless you've been at the company for many years. Can't trust leadership to do what's right. Business is not growing and they will have to be in cost-cutting mode for the foreseeable future. No real strategy for the future.

Look outside of the building and see how other companies compete for business. Bring in outside leaders with experience in marketing and driving subscription type services.

Tiring

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nothing good to talk about here

Cons

Very Stingy company, and very hard on feedback review

used to be a better place to work

I have been working at Reliant Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is very competitive with the market

Cons

CEO is selling staff short with current merger.

Appreciate your people during a merger.

Bad for long term career growth senior management lacks vision

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Reliant Energy

Pros

Pay is good and feedback on activities is given. Moreover junior cadre gel in well and are friendly. You can sometimes move up fast if you are in the proper lobby. Visibility is often there. Immediate bosses are supportive of their juniors

Cons

Management lacks vision and often makes erratic decisions. Factionalism is rife and your advancement depends on your sycophancy and the faction you are in. Juniors are not well treated by the middle management. Company lacks standard operating procedures in work and too much depends on the individual with no fail safe mechanisms in place.

Please avoid the perennial firefighting mode. Take sound decisions at the corporate levels like viability of the projects to be taken up. More often than not management indulges in value destruction. Further please try to control this sycophancy culture and curb factionalism

Worked for Reliant Energy? Contribute to the Community!