Reliant Energy

Reliant Energy Reviews

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014

Elizabeth Killinger

sad - safe yourself a headache

Former Employee - Special Projects Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Special Projects Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

There is nothing good about this place.

Cons

The managers, supervisors, coaches, and team leaders are all political. If they don't like you, they will get rid of you. All I can say is please do not waste your time working for this company. They will keep you in the same position for years and not offer you a promotion if they don't like you. I was one of the top salespersons here at this company. I went to luncheons, I won prizes, and all of my co-workers marveled at my performance, and when I moved to my new department my work was often structured, hidden, or deleted. I complained about it to my coach, and her reply was, "What do you want me to do?" My work badge to gain access into the building was deactivated more than once prior to my knowledge causing me to be locked in a hot stinky stairwell. I had to walk up like 5 flights of stairs to gain access back to my floor. By this time, I was sweaty and frustrated. Then, I would get back to my work station and receive an email saying that my badge was deactivated after the fact. When I told my coach that my badge was deactivated causing me wackiness to my morning, she laughed. On top of it all, they will find reasons to not pay you your incentive checks. On my last day of working there, after my supervisor told me I wasn't getting my incentive, she laughed hysterically all morning until the lady from Primary came and escorted me out of the building. I asked her why I was being let go, she said, unprofessionalism. When I applied for unemployment benefits, Reliant had told the unemployment people that I caused a scene, cursed out loud, and that's why they fired me. This is a bold face stupid lie. I didn't curse anyone out or use profanity. Not only will they lie to get what they want, but they will make up stories to hinder you from getting unemployment. Do not waste your time with these jokers. They will make your life a living hell. I constantly suffered from higher blood pressure than normal while working here and they only want to pay you pennies.

Be upfront and straight up with your employees. Lies are dangerous and could potentially make a situation worse. Treat everyone the same. If you are going to give one employee VRH(voluntary reduced hours) to prevent them from getting attendance points, do it for the next one. Listen! Listen! Listen! Lies are no way to solve an issue.

Tiring

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing good to talk about here

Cons

Very Stingy company, and very hard on feedback review

Reliant Energy job experience review

Former Employee - Ops Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Ops Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Big well known company. Lots of diff opportunity

Cons

No work life balance for employees

Do better

Risk Analyst

Current Employee - Risk Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Risk Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Reliant Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great team of talented people to work with

Cons

Company benefits are not as good as other companies in same industry. Promotions are far and few and not often communicated to the group.

Billing Tech

I have been working at Reliant Energy as a contractor

Pros

Growth potential is there, there is lots of new changes everyday, as they are merging.The atmosphere is aggressive

Cons

Co-workers tend to be clannish,and at the end of the day there has been some petty stuff.And you might get better perks if you are a who you know type of person.

Value everyone contributions that helped you get to that goal

6 years with company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Reliant Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and some flexibility

Cons

Salaries are low for the industry

Customer service

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in South Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in South Houston, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good compensation, room for growth, professional work place, friendly environment, refreshments for employees, bosses are friendly and supportive, fun activities to improve relationship between employees, transparency between different departments. Overtime opportunity. Upper managers are attentive and notice, encourage employee performance.

Cons

Stress from angry customers, office in downtown so lunches are expensive and have to walk far. Difficult to move to other departments even the jobs are more suitable with interests, education because of the current position in customer service.

Continue to be attentive to employee performance and needs. Give opportunities for employees to move within the company.

a place where you could utilize skills in time management while multi-tasking

I worked at Reliant Energy

Pros

a big organization with opportunities to move around the company, to gain exposure in different field while participating in cross-functional projects

Cons

an older firm that changes slowly, sometimes behind the pace of market, business might out-grown the in-house systems from time to time

provide more transparency on company direction, more team bonding environment that would increase productivity and efficiency, lead by example when situation arises

Good

I have been working at Reliant Energy

Pros

Benefits are good and they are worth their weight in gold, it was a great place to work. would recommend this company.

Cons

NRG take over was the worst thing that could have happened, they micro managed all process and leadership functions within the company

Overall, Reliant was a good place to work

I worked at Reliant Energy

Pros

Bright fellow employees, lots of interaction with management team, good work and life balance, perks including tickets to sporting events

Cons

too many consultants working on-site, constant flux on leadership team, too much of a short-term focus versus longer term focus by the company

Continue to exploit a leadership position in smart energy while trying to offer more competitive offerings from a cost perspective

Reliant Energy Photos