Relief International

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Farshad Rastegar

Friendly staff, open communication, and rewarding experience.

Operations Intern (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsRelaxed work environment, and awesome staff.

ConsSometimes there's not much to do.

Getting a bit realistic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI'm glad I did not write my review when I was laid off a few months ago. It was not going to be a 4 star review for sure. Except for the sad ending and looking back now it was not a bad experience. RI had more room to grow than other organizations I've worked for. Most of the staff there took their job seriously while others were just B**** about everything.RI was going through a management change when I left. RI offered to help me with my job search and kept in touch. I didn't need the help really but it was nice to offer.

ConsWith the change of management, staff needed to see a sense of direction. I understand the budget crunch and all that but some staff should have been on the lay off list. They survived because they were connected to the right management.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop stressing your staff out, invest in them, and, more importantly, "communicate".

Great intern learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEveryone was very friendly and helpful. Supervisor was always willing to answer any questions and give me more work if I requested it. Also, extremely flexible in letting me choose my own hours.

ConsFor the few months I was at RI there seemed to be extremely high turnover. There was a party just about every week for someone who was leaving.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a good place to work right now

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosyounger employees are dedicated and get experience

Consyounger employees are not taken advantage of in terms of skills and they are pushed into departments out of their expertise without incentives or promise of upward growth.. in fact there is no path for upward growth and it often is looked down upon when asked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to what your employees are saying and work on your own management styles - this is what is holding the organization back

Great people and good programs but that's the only positive about the organization

(Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe people apart from senior management are really great

Conspay, environment, lack of professionalism, overworking, unhealthy treatment of people, bad HR policies and management, horrible senior management even after Farshad's exit.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on retention, show results, stop keeping secrets. Stop micro-managing and nitpicking on tiny details and look at the overall picture.

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to intern, a lot of hands-on experience. Wonderful people.

ConsUnpaid internship and not many job opportunities due to lack of funding.

WouldW

Management (Former Employee)

ProsFoot in the door of the International Development sector and opportunities for interns to work abroad

ConsLow salaries, appalling HR policies/practices, poor quality programmes, micro-management by senior management, bullying, over-working staff with no benefits, awful organisational culture

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul management practices, esp. HR function, be clear about your strategic direction, improve programmes.

Intern

Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsNice working environment. Nice co-workers. Very international.

ConsKind of a small company. Small space for promotion. Not very mature working polices.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe mature and honest.

Low salary and 0 perks

Human Resource Associate (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsRecent college graduates can actually get hired with an International Development organization and don't need their masters.

ConsThe salaries are very low, turnover is very high, the behavior of management resembles that of the investment banking world moreso than a non profit, in that employees have been reduced to tears.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs professional development and help in fostering a positive working environment

If you want to get real experience in the international nonprofit field, Relief International is the best.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsWonderful people and wide range of experience acquired quickly due to high workload and responsibility level. Excellent for the person looking to dive head-first into the nonprofit field.

ConsResponsibilities outside of your role: You often end up doing the work of two or three people, so this can be a fast-paced, stressful environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnowledgeable management team that recognizes talent and wants to see Relief International's team take ownership of and grow with the organization.

Worked for Relief International? Contribute to the Community!