Remedy Health Media Reviews

1. Remedy nurtures and challenges

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Remedy Health Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm in my second year with RHM, and it has been a delight from day one. They took my existing skills and asked where I'd like to go with them, providing countless opportunities to learn, grow, and contribute. They are quick to reward and encourage, and criticism is always given in a constructive way. There is a growing symbiosis among the Remedy brands. The appreciation of the employees is something I haven't seen before - everyone is valued. My CEO knew my name and about me since day two, and has never failed to greet me in the hallway. Great team building events that encourage a healthy lifestyle and office pride. The work/home balance is incredible: WFH days and flexible schedules that encourage hard work and company spirit. I'm constantly in touch with my managers and am often checked on and given necessary feedback. It's easy to accomplish large projects - if you're willing to be creative and work hard, they're willing to help make your vision a reality.

Cons

There needs to be better communications between departments. And that's truly the only con, if you can call it that.

Advice to Management

Continue putting value and encouragement into your staff! They notice and appreciate it!

2. Too Many Senior VPs

Current Employee - Producer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Producer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Remedy Health Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people, flexible hours, good work - life balance, and passionate mission.

Cons

The salaries are very very low...little to no opportunity for promotion or growth and doing the job of 5 other people with zero respect for doing it.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring and promoting the same people to Senior Vice President and invest in strong employees that can actually do the work. Also, follow through with consistent reviews, and bonuses when they are promised.

Remedy Health Media Response

Jun 25, 2015 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. Your concerns are very important to us and we would like to address them further. If you are interested in discussing further, please reach out ... More

3. Passionate and Mission-Oriented

I have been working at Remedy Health Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, important mission, and a desire to constantly improve. Remedy employees work hard and are passionate about what they do. There are many smart and driven employees that push you to be better. Because the company is small there are many opportunities to go beyond what your job description might indicate.

Cons

You will be challenged and it isn't for everyone. The desire to do more and the occasional lack of focus can be frustrating but the intentions are good.

Advice to Management

Love the increased focus and the level of communication. Also, really appreciate how the voice of people, at all levels in the organizations, is sought out.

Great potential

Pros

Small, aspires to be great, CEO leads by example when it comes to treating everyone with respect and thoughtfulness. The patients who visit our sites and buy our subscriptions are touched by every thing we do in a positive way. The team is innovative and is always thinking of new ways to do it either differently or better than the big guys in the industry. When we win, its not because we are lucky but because we worked 10 times harder than the competition.

Cons

Middle management is the rotten core of what is essentially a great company. Lots of back stabbing, upping one-another, building of little empires (sales is like a whole other company within the company and doesn't respect other's contributions). The company describes its self as a Media and Technology company but it is more of a Media and whatever the customer wants company. Technology is not really a player, more like a necessary evil. Middle management talks crap about upper management every chance they get, no exceptions. The bad apples are mostly a result of acquisition and they tend to poison everyone else. Upper management is either clueless or is held hostage but they are doing nothing to fix it.

Advice to Management

clean house, for a company this ambitious you can't afford the horrible middle management you have.

New York Office is like Dilbert

I have been working at Remedy Health Media full-time

Pros

Pretty decent mission (helping others be healthy), at least on paper. A lot of smart people in staff positions and middle management.

Cons

Uninspiring management, for the most part. Awful cubicle set up, with endless rows of cubicles. HR is a mess, with promised reviews never materializing. Disorganization and poor communication rampant. Top-heavy organization, with a bunch of VPs and directors running around, and not enough help in the trenches. Morale in NY office pretty bad, overall, with a lot of paranoia.

Advice to Management

Don't promise what you're not going to deliver. Ditch some of the top people and devote resources to staffing up.

Like a startup, just bigger

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Remedy Health Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission that is part of the business strategy Really nice and talented people including a CEO, CCO, and CTO who deeply care about their people If you like taking initiative then this will be Nirvana for you. Your initiative is noticed and appreciated Everyone is responsive and follow through is part of the culture Highly collaborative organization with a lot of idea sharing There are two main offices in Arlington and DC which keeps things interesting Very flat organization with pockets of smart people Very limited office politics, but a little cliquey, almost like high school Very supportive of employee goals and development needs You can take on too much as there are no areas that are off limits Even the sales guys are really nice! You can control your work life balance and won't be resented for it It feels personal, the passion that goes into the work and the interactions...not corporate-y but it also means it's harder to disconnect As far as location: there is a gym in the building that you can use for free (benefit). There are a ton of restaurants around, including a whole foods (major benefit) and a lululemon store (heaven!) There is a Yoga studio steps away and a pilates one as well. The health plan provides a subsidy for the gym membership if you want to take advantage of one.

Cons

The pros are also the cons. They are too risk averse in strategy which means we are a little more stable than your average startup but that also means the upside can be limited Compensation is a constant topic of conversation, it's abnormal Speaking of compensation, the pay is average at best There is no predefined career track, figure it out on your own The HR practices are a little archaic practices (think government consulting meets startup and the worst of both worlds)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Take some risk on products just like you do on people

Couldn't ask for a better place to work

Current Employee - Web Producer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Remedy Health Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment is positive, relaxed and fun, but senior management also takes work seriously and holds high standards and encourages career growth. As an employee in the editorial department, I am given the flexibility to produce a wide range of content, with the goal of making a real difference in people's lives. I believe that working for Remedy Health Media provides me with the opportunity to grow and expand my skill set, which will benefit both me individually and the company as a whole in the long run.

Cons

There is room for improvement when it comes to team building and setting and attaining department goals. I have not been employed here long enough to speak to compensation changes, but I hope that there will be room for growth in that area.

Remedy Health Media Response

Feb 2, 2015 – CTO

Thanks for the feedback. We enforced departmental goals for the 2nd half of last year and will continue to improve the process. At the same time, our overall goals and focus have become more ... More

Meaningful work, fun culture, wonderful people

I have been working at Remedy Health Media full-time

Pros

-Meaningful work that literally changes peoples' lives -Innovative multimedia projects -Creative brainstorming -Management is always open to new ideas and feedback -Opportunity to really grow as a writer and editor -Fun, vibrant culture: ping pong, happy hours, birthday celebrations -People are genuinely nice and care about their work

Cons

-Would like to get more input from management sometimes -Could use more communication across departments

10. Great culture; Hard-working & motivated group

I have been working at Remedy Health Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced environment where you're working around others who are really motivated and passionate about health. RHM is good to its employees too. The offices are in Arlington and Manhattan and is only continuing to grow. It's a bigger company but still small enough so that you can know everyone's name.

Cons

It's all about health information 24/7 & getting important and new health info out to consumers so if that's not something you're interested in RHM may not be the right fit.

Great Company Culture, Values and Mission

I have been working at Remedy Health Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are so many great things about Remedy. It is a small company so an employee your voice and opinion matters and your work directly impacts the company. The company culture is relaxed, fun, positive and creative while the work is innovative, challenging and evolving. The company thrives through teamwork and collaboration. Everyone is personable and the upper management, including the CEO, knows every employee by name and make the effort to know you on a personal level. The company motto is "real people, real results" and they really emphasize that in all we do. It is a fantastic and growing company.

Cons

Tight budget and lack of review/advancement process. New leadership in HR is working to better implement review process. Sometimes workload requires long work hours but it's totally worth it if you care about your work. Could use a little more transparency across departments. All cons are opportunities to grow and improve.

RSS Feed </> Embed