Remilon

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014

3.1

Adrian Ridner

Smartest group I have ever worked with

Current Employee - Software Engineering  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Very bright group of people who strive to get things done and are fun to work with
    Ability to have a large impact at the company
    Traffic and revenue continue to grow every year
    We continue to make strides towards making education more accessible

Cons

Management's excitement and passion for the product can limit creativity

Keep up the great work! You have an extremely talented workforce, so continue to make sure you listen to them and allow them to produce.

Easy way to make (very little) extra cash, but you are certainly expendable.

Former Employee - Instructor/Expert
    Former Employee - Instructor/Expert

Pros

It's flexible. You can work when you want and choose how much work to take. The content they ask for is not very difficult to produce and can be done in free time.

Cons

The money isn't always worth it - you don't get any credit or much to put on a resume that would normally perq up a job like this. It feels kind of slimy too.

Compensation could be a little better, or at least could improve along with work performance. Some of the content is very rough or incomplete. It's hard to take seriously as an education tool when so many corners are cut.

Excellent company, mission, and colleagues

Pros

I've worked for this company for quite some time. The colleagues are fantastic and everyone really works together to get the job done and get it done right.

I think this company is far superior in terms of educational content compared to the Khan Academy because the instructors and video editors try to make difficult subjects light and engaging without sacrificing knowledge. I have the biggest respect for The Khan Academy but their lessons are dry and essentially a repeat of the text you read in school.

Education Portal (Remilon's flagship) strives to give people the same knowledge as your book/text from school but in a much lighter and more accessible manner which regular textbooks do not provide for very well. That's why I enjoy working for them.

Not to mention, I've been given plenty of freedom to make all of that happen and plenty of support for my work which I take great care in making.

Finally, I'm really big on keeping students out of debt and this place makes FREE content to help students pass credit based exams without having them spend loads of money on tuition and books. I wish this kind of service was around before I entered college.

Cons

I wish I was given a bigger ("over-arching") role in terms of ensuring higher quality output across content areas but also understand the company may not "be there" quiet yet to allow for such a role or I just may not be good enough, so it's not so much a con and just an observation and wish.

I think this company is on the right track and may soon be something much bigger than it is now.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"Making education accessible" means selling leads to for-profit colleges

Former Employee - Software Engineering
    Former Employee - Software Engineering

Pros

Good location. Weekly happy hour with colleagues who pretend to like each other.

Cons

If you want to work for a place whose business model is selling contact info of potential students to for-profit colleges (think University of Phoenix), this is the place for you. Otherwise, it's a bunch of pretend-do-gooders who can't get jobs at real Silicon Valley companies.

Get a respectable business model, and/or be honest with your employees about what you do.

This is a content mill; I worked over 3 years as a contract writer and editor until I burned out.

Pros

You can work from home or virtually anywhere you have a good Internet connection. Advancement can be rapid in the first few months after hiring. Although the pay is low it is better than the pay at most Internet content mills.

Cons

You are an independent contractor in name only – you work more like a W-2 employee, only with none of the benefits. (You pay your own payroll taxes and have no paid leave for illness, holidays or vacation). You are required to work 15-40 billable hours per week on a regular schedule, depending on how far you advance up the editorial ladder. Your work is over-edited if you are a writer and over-audited if you are an editor. Your productivity and performance is closely monitored and you are expected to account for every minute of your work time – time not assigned to a task on your tracking sheet when you log out of a work session is considered “break time” and is unpaid. The company refused to issue an accurate 1099 form, under-reporting my income to the IRS. (I reported the accurate amount from my own records.)

Either hire your writers and editors as regular employees with benefits or treat them as true independent contractors. Make sure your policies are supportive of your editors and writers, and not punitive.

Exceptional Talent and Company

Pros

The number one strength is definitely the people that make up the team at Remilon. The company has some of the best, brightest, motivated, ambitious, fun people that I have ever worked with. I can honestly say that I learn something every day at Remilon. This brings me to another great thing about Remilon, the opportunity for continuous growth and development. Reading some of the other reviews, I feel compelled to say that I have grown more in the last 1+ years than I have my entire career. The comment that there is a lack of opportunity for growth and learning are just completely inaccurate. In fact, it’s quite the opposite - should you start out in one position and end up having interest in another you are encouraged to speak up and start cross-functionally learning. In my time at Remilon, I have seen quite a few people move into new opportunities within the company (because of their interests). That is hard to do in such a small company. I was shocked to see someone write about favoritism at Remilon. This is something I have never seen here at Remilon. I would say that if you work at Remilon and think you are going to just get by, it’s not going to work out well for you. The management staff doesn’t hang onto low performers, which I consider great. Usually low performers aren’t having intriguing conversations with leaders and senior management because they just can’t or don’t care enough. This company and its people have heart and if you are just around to collect a paycheck – you probably should find another place to work.

With regards to compensation and benefits, I will agree with some previous comments that salary was at one time lower than others, however, over the last year, Remilon has made considerable efforts to remedy that so that they can keep great talent. I have, personally, received over 30% of a salary increase over the last year. I don't believe it was ever the intention of senior management or the owners to poorly pay their team - it was definitely because of a huge shift in demand in the tech market. As soon as they realized what the market was demanding they made significant changes. I spoke with many of my fellow team members, mostly engineers, and they mentioned that they also saw significant increases and were beyond happy about them. Other benefits and perks -- well I might be here for a while... they provide 100% paid for medical, dental and vision; 401(k) w/a 4% match, 20-30 PTO days (depending on years of service), 10 vacation days, a few different gym options (including Planet Granite, which I happen to thoroughly enjoy). Not to mention the happy hours, catered lunches, full kitchen with food and drinks and awesome beer fridge!

Cons

The company doesn’t currently offer equity, which is definitely something they are lacking in comparison to other companies in the surrounding areas. However, Remilon isn’t a startup, they don’t even call themselves a startup, and if anything they consider themselves having a startup-like atmosphere. They have been in business for over 10 years, have no outside funding and have been profitable every single year since the beginning… doesn’t sound too bad for me. Guaranteed paycheck vs. stock that may not be worth the paper it’s printed on… tough. Honestly, their very generous bonus plan more than makes up where the stock lacks. I won’t lie, I would definitely take stock if they were handing it out.

Remilon does have a young, energetic workforce and definitely there are times when maturity is lacking. I would say that over the last couple of years, the team has grown up and the company has done a great job of hiring a few more experienced and mature team members. Either way – we have a ton of fun together!

Continue taking care of your employees and they will continue to do excellent work for Remilon. I know that I greatly appreciate all of the generous perks.

Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Young people believe that they can change the world ! Lol. But all they do are adapting to Google Search algorithm to get their pay show on top of the search.

Happy hour ( drinking ) every Fri at 4PM. Some food in the fridge.

Cons

Cheap pay, mainly just good for recent college graduation. High rate of turnover. Old technologies. Senior tech people don't know enough/don't have industrial experience.

If you can hangout/go to the bar with your co-workers several times/week, you are good to go. If you are not that kind of people, i am not so sure.

Less of a start-up, more of an established "Mom and Pop" Company

Pros

Friendly coworkers, a good work environment, and definitely on the more "organized" side for a company its size. The work culture isn't as aggressive and hectic as a typical start up, because in most respects, it isn't a start up - it's privately funded, and has been around for the better part of 10 years in some form or the other.

That being said, it has some of the benefits of working for older, more established companies. For a company its size, it provides a 401k with matching, something you don't always see in early stage start ups of the same size. Operationally it is well managed. Many startups, upon receiving funding, go through a hiring glut and end up hiring a lot of people who are charmed by the prospect of working for something that might hit it big, but can't pull their weight and don't end up doing a lot of work. Over here, if you don't perform, you won't last very long. Working from home isn't really an option here since if you're an engineer they give you a Desktop PC. That's not always a good thing, but it does mean that you come to work to a full office with everyone present on any given day.

Cons

Because it is privately funded, it's growth prospects are stunted. It doesn't have the risk or capital to go on a growth spree, and the compensation you get as an employee is FAR below the competitive rates in Silicon Valley (probably only 60-70% of competitive rates), especially if you're a software engineer. By the looks of it, management doesn't have any plans to change that anytime soon.

If you're truly looking for an opportunity to be part of a growth-driven, VC-backed startup with capital and the appetite to take risks and truly make it big with a short turn-around time, don't look here. There is no equity, and the company, while it is "growing" in a sense of the word, looks like a snail next to its VC backed neighbors. Because the compensation is so low, good hires don't stick around for long - they go work elsewhere where the compensation is higher. People who stick around either don't have anywhere else to go, or are fiercely loyal to the founders.

The slower pace of work here means that the opportunities for learning and personal growth are not on par with its VC-backed peers. While you are expected to perform in your job function, you don't always feel the pressure of the competition or the outside world moving at a lightning fast pace. All in all, people who work here are more the "content where I am" types and not the stereotypical go-getters that call Silicon Valley their home.

Try not to fall into a rut when you're comfortable with the way things are going. Take some more risks to better bolster growth. Give employees a better sense of vision and perspective about the competition in the space and the steps needed to take the company to the next level.

No vision, low pay, no equity

Pros

Close to train, easy entry to Silicon Valley for fresh grads from outta state.

Cons

The majority of remilon employees are fresh college grads from out of state. This enables remilon to capture cheap talent who are unaware of Silicon Valley cost if living. The culture resembles high school a lot, which is no surprise due to the average age. There is clearly an in club around the founder, which all try to cater to.
    My biggest complaint would be that all employees are treated like children, even for seasoned developers your bathroom breaks are basically monitored. This may make sense for fresh college grads who need a little more monitoring, but for seasoned developers this is unacceptable.

Give your employees a little freedom, and you'll be surprised what innovation may come out of it.

Innovative and supportive company that with an inspiring mission

Pros

The combination of smart, engaged employees and an inspiring mission to make education accessible makes Remilon a great place to work. I enjoy going to work every day. The company is small but successful, meaning there is lots of room for employees to grow and gain new skills. Since the company is so small, all employees have a tangible impact on the company's success. The company supports professional development and sponsors skill and career workshops and also offers tuition reimbursement. The leaders are highly accessible and supportive and foster a collaborative environment with lively but respectful discussion and debate.

Cons

Because Remilon has grown so quickly, the company is experiencing some growing pains. We're currently ironing out development and cross-team communication processes to help projects run more smoothly.

Continue being hands-on and supportive and introducing big, revolutionary ideas that will disrupt higher education.

Worked for Remilon? Contribute to the Community!