Remilon

Updated November 12, 2014
Updated November 12, 2014
3.1

Adrian Ridner

Smartest group I have ever worked with

Current Employee - Software Engineering in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Remilon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very bright group of people who strive to get things done and are fun to work with
    Ability to have a large impact at the company
    Traffic and revenue continue to grow every year
    We continue to make strides towards making education more accessible

Cons

Management's excitement and passion for the product can limit creativity

Keep up the great work! You have an extremely talented workforce, so continue to make sure you listen to them and allow them to produce.

Excellent company, mission, and colleagues

I have been working at Remilon

Pros

I've worked for this company for quite some time. The colleagues are fantastic and everyone really works together to get the job done and get it done right.

I think this company is far superior in terms of educational content compared to the Khan Academy because the instructors and video editors try to make difficult subjects light and engaging without sacrificing knowledge. I have the biggest respect for The Khan Academy but their lessons are dry and essentially a repeat of the text you read in school.

Education Portal (Remilon's flagship) strives to give people the same knowledge as your book/text from school but in a much lighter and more accessible manner which regular textbooks do not provide for very well. That's why I enjoy working for them.

Not to mention, I've been given plenty of freedom to make all of that happen and plenty of support for my work which I take great care in making.

Finally, I'm really big on keeping students out of debt and this place makes FREE content to help students pass credit based exams without having them spend loads of money on tuition and books. I wish this kind of service was around before I entered college.

Cons

I wish I was given a bigger ("over-arching") role in terms of ensuring higher quality output across content areas but also understand the company may not "be there" quiet yet to allow for such a role or I just may not be good enough, so it's not so much a con and just an observation and wish.

I think this company is on the right track and may soon be something much bigger than it is now.

Exceptional Talent and Company

I have been working at Remilon full-time

Pros

The number one strength is definitely the people that make up the team at Remilon. The company has some of the best, brightest, motivated, ambitious, fun people that I have ever worked with. I can honestly say that I learn something every day at Remilon. This brings me to another great thing about Remilon, the opportunity for continuous growth and development. Reading some of the other reviews, I feel compelled to say that I have grown more in the last 1+ years than I have my entire career. The comment that there is a lack of opportunity for growth and learning are just completely inaccurate. In fact, it’s quite the opposite - should you start out in one position and end up having interest in another you are encouraged to speak up and start cross-functionally learning. In my time at Remilon, I have seen quite a few people move into new opportunities within the company (because of their interests). That is hard to do in such a small company. I was shocked to see someone write about favoritism at Remilon. This is something I have never seen here at Remilon. I would say that if you work at Remilon and think you are going to just get by, it’s not going to work out well for you. The management staff doesn’t hang onto low performers, which I consider great. Usually low performers aren’t having intriguing conversations with leaders and senior management because they just can’t or don’t care enough. This company and its people have heart and if you are just around to collect a paycheck – you probably should find another place to work.

With regards to compensation and benefits, I will agree with some previous comments that salary was at one time lower than others, however, over the last year, Remilon has made considerable efforts to remedy that so that they can keep great talent. I have, personally, received over 30% of a salary increase over the last year. I don't believe it was ever the intention of senior management or the owners to poorly pay their team - it was definitely because of a huge shift in demand in the tech market. As soon as they realized what the market was demanding they made significant changes. I spoke with many of my fellow team members, mostly engineers, and they mentioned that they also saw significant increases and were beyond happy about them. Other benefits and perks -- well I might be here for a while... they provide 100% paid for medical, dental and vision; 401(k) w/a 4% match, 20-30 PTO days (depending on years of service), 10 vacation days, a few different gym options (including Planet Granite, which I happen to thoroughly enjoy). Not to mention the happy hours, catered lunches, full kitchen with food and drinks and awesome beer fridge!

Cons

The company doesn’t currently offer equity, which is definitely something they are lacking in comparison to other companies in the surrounding areas. However, Remilon isn’t a startup, they don’t even call themselves a startup, and if anything they consider themselves having a startup-like atmosphere. They have been in business for over 10 years, have no outside funding and have been profitable every single year since the beginning… doesn’t sound too bad for me. Guaranteed paycheck vs. stock that may not be worth the paper it’s printed on… tough. Honestly, their very generous bonus plan more than makes up where the stock lacks. I won’t lie, I would definitely take stock if they were handing it out.

Remilon does have a young, energetic workforce and definitely there are times when maturity is lacking. I would say that over the last couple of years, the team has grown up and the company has done a great job of hiring a few more experienced and mature team members. Either way – we have a ton of fun together!

Continue taking care of your employees and they will continue to do excellent work for Remilon. I know that I greatly appreciate all of the generous perks.

Innovative and supportive company that with an inspiring mission

I have been working at Remilon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The combination of smart, engaged employees and an inspiring mission to make education accessible makes Remilon a great place to work. I enjoy going to work every day. The company is small but successful, meaning there is lots of room for employees to grow and gain new skills. Since the company is so small, all employees have a tangible impact on the company's success. The company supports professional development and sponsors skill and career workshops and also offers tuition reimbursement. The leaders are highly accessible and supportive and foster a collaborative environment with lively but respectful discussion and debate.

Cons

Because Remilon has grown so quickly, the company is experiencing some growing pains. We're currently ironing out development and cross-team communication processes to help projects run more smoothly.

Continue being hands-on and supportive and introducing big, revolutionary ideas that will disrupt higher education.

Unlimited opportunities, fantastic people and great environment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Remilon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Because Remilon is a small company (with a small number of employees), everyone is able to do many things and participate in tons of cross-functional work. I have never felt limited in my position and if anything feel compelled to constantly challenge what I am working on to find new and innovative ways to do things. Remilon also works very hard to create a positive working environment which includes tons of employee perks (great pay, competitive bonus plan, happy hour, stocked kitchen, team event sponsorship, awesome employee gear, etc). Another great thing about working at Remilon is the people. When I have to go to work for most of my day, I would prefer to be surrounded by people that I enjoy, look up to and appreciate -- you really get all of those things here.

Cons

Small company means more limited resources (not in terms of cash), but in terms of headcount. The company really pride themselves on hiring exceptional talent, which is great, but definitely takes longer to find new additions to the teams. The openings are there to hire people, just finding the right people is a challenge.

Great People and a Solid Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Remilon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is young, full of energy and very successful. A lot of time is spent trying to make it a great place work. The workforce is extremely talented and going to work everyday is not the typical drag, as is the case with many other spots in the Valley. They take an interest in the development of their employees and provide many avenues to increase your skill level. Location in DT Mtn. View is awesome.

The culture supports a lot of very different types of people and seems to integrate them well. TH Drink cart, Weekly Happy Hours, Weekly Catered Lunch, Free Snacks and quarterly special events are a lot of fun!

Cons

More of a focus should be paid to insure that employees see a medium/long term pathway for them and how they fit into the grander strategy and plan of the company.

Be more transparent with your employees (they can handle it).

Great company, great support, great opportunity!

Current Employee - Contract Content Creator in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Contract Content Creator in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Remilon as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Solid training and support
    Hourly pay (vs. per piece)
    Advancement opportunities
    For entry-level writers, Remilon offers a great opportunity to enhance your resume and overall writing ability.

Cons

Editors sometimes use differing criteria making it difficult to adhere to guidelines.
    Submitted articles often take too long before being reviewed by editors. They may send back an article weeks after you've written (and forgotten about) it.
    Formatting of articles can be tricky for beginners.

Make it easier to take time off without losing spot in cohort. People need vacations to avoid burn-out.

It has its flaws, but Remilon is a great place to work

I have been working at Remilon full-time

Pros

Remilon offers some unique perks and opportunities:

* The company itself is doing very well and is constantly growing / expanding
    * Happy hour on fridays, drink cart on Thursdays, fully stocked kitchen
    * Most fridays you can work on whatever you want
    * (Most) coworkers are very smart, very motivated people that are easy to work with
    * You have the choice on what projects you want to work on
    * You get to work on new and exciting technologies
    * Competitive salary and benefits
    * Still has that startup feel without the startup worries.

Unlike many other companies, Remilon lacks a lot of red tape and welcomes new ideas to make things run more smoothly.

Cons

Not really a con, but Remilon is for smart, hard-working people who like working with other, similar people. For newbies, you will need to work very hard to get up to speed quickly, or you will likely drown.

The company is still young, and there's still a ways to go with regards to infrastructure and processes (qa, working from home, team management, etc.).

The workforce at Remilon is also very young (many straight out of college). At time there can be a distinct lack of maturity and social graces.

Upper management feels "disconnected" from the rest of the company. They will bark ideas and values from above, but they do not take the time to really connect with their employees and convince them to get on board. My manager rarely provides feedback or guidance, and what feedback is given can sometimes feel rushed and/or contrived.

Low pay

Current Employee - Anonymous in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Remilon as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Work from home
    Editors are always helpful

Cons

I get paid less than minimum wage for a job that seems to require advanced expertise. As a remote content writer, I work from home and am expected to follow detailed guidelines to write and edit articles....however, editors all seem to have additional guidelines of their own, which are explained once articles are evaluated. This would be a decent work from home position if the pay was in line with the quality that is expected. I have worked for this company for more than a year, but at this point, it is not even really worth my time anymore.

Though guidelines say that writers have some control over their work, we really don't. New guidelines and recent company reorganization is meant (I think) to make independent contractors more in compliance with the "having control over one's work" aspect of being a 1099 employee, but editors still seem to think they can script each article, practically word-for-word.

Overall, this job was a good stepping stone for me to get some remote work experience (this was my first work-from-home job), But low pay, lack of byline, 1099 status, no benefits, and picky picky picky editors make this job more trouble than it's worth.

In-house staff seems to be better paid and pretty happy with their jobs though.....Maybe because they get paid a decent wage, have benefits, get to take credit for the content on the site (which is mainly written and edited by peons like me), and have control over their work?

$8/hour is unacceptable for a job that requires (or "prefers") a masters degree. Pay your writers better, get in compliance with 1099 employee guidelines.

Easy way to make (very little) extra cash, but you are certainly expendable.

Former Employee - Instructor/Expert
    Former Employee - Instructor/Expert

I worked at Remilon as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It's flexible. You can work when you want and choose how much work to take. The content they ask for is not very difficult to produce and can be done in free time.

Cons

The money isn't always worth it - you don't get any credit or much to put on a resume that would normally perq up a job like this. It feels kind of slimy too.

Compensation could be a little better, or at least could improve along with work performance. Some of the content is very rough or incomplete. It's hard to take seriously as an education tool when so many corners are cut.

Remilon Photos