Remilon

Updated November 12, 2014
Updated November 12, 2014
3.1

Adrian Ridner

"Making education accessible" means selling leads to for-profit colleges

Former Employee - Software Engineering
    Former Employee - Software Engineering

I worked at Remilon full-time

Pros

Good location. Weekly happy hour with colleagues who pretend to like each other.

Cons

If you want to work for a place whose business model is selling contact info of potential students to for-profit colleges (think University of Phoenix), this is the place for you. Otherwise, it's a bunch of pretend-do-gooders who can't get jobs at real Silicon Valley companies.

Get a respectable business model, and/or be honest with your employees about what you do.

Not a good company; not a good place to work

Former Employee - Writer
    Former Employee - Writer

I worked at Remilon as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, and... um... honestly, that's about all.

Cons

Read your contract carefully: after being happy with my work for several months, I was unceremoniously and without recourse (or warning) fired for inactivity. I asked some questions (like, how long was I inactive?) and my emails went unanswered. I'm a college professor in the field I was hired to write about and was out of the country doing field work at the time of my firing. Wouldn't you expect them to want the best contributors? Nope, only the fastest and cheapest.

Additionally, editors are inconsistent to an extreme. Feedback is arbitrary and rarely useful; rules change frequently and are difficult to follow. There is little to no opportunity to move up with the company.

I know that it's easy (and cheap) to get writers, but consider getting to know them as people rather than as an anonymous and constantly replenishing work farm.

No vision, low pay, no equity

I worked at Remilon full-time

Pros

Close to train, easy entry to Silicon Valley for fresh grads from outta state.

Cons

The majority of remilon employees are fresh college grads from out of state. This enables remilon to capture cheap talent who are unaware of Silicon Valley cost if living. The culture resembles high school a lot, which is no surprise due to the average age. There is clearly an in club around the founder, which all try to cater to.
    My biggest complaint would be that all employees are treated like children, even for seasoned developers your bathroom breaks are basically monitored. This may make sense for fresh college grads who need a little more monitoring, but for seasoned developers this is unacceptable.

Give your employees a little freedom, and you'll be surprised what innovation may come out of it.

Underpaid, overworked and disrespected

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Remilon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Remilon attracts a lot of intelligent, driven individuals, many straight out of college. They are generally wonderful to work and interact with. There are also Wednesday catered lunches, and Friday happy hours. About once a quarter there is a weekend outing such as bowling, bocce ball or picnics. There is also a wide variety of work, and everyone wears many hats. Sometimes even literally.

Cons

No one in the senior management cares about your opinion, or experience. It is really a "worker bee" mentality, where you have to just do what you're told, or else you're being "difficult."

Another huge factor is that Remilon pays well below market value, largely taking advantage of the college kids who are naive and just happy to have gotten a job. With that said, there is really no room for advancement, and no time to grow skills. The only way to succeed at Remilon is to be buddies with senior management, or the HR department, as office favoritism is rampant. A point of concern was always job security. There is extremely high turn over, between people moving on, and frequent firings.

One of the core values is Respect, and employees rarely feel that receive any. ideas were tossed aside, and concerns are never heard. There is such a huge divide between upper management and the employees, which is ridiculous in such a small company. The closed door attitude of Remilon is extremely hostile, hurts morale, and stops the company from excelling.

If you have skills, they will burn you out and cut you loose.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Remilon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good location. Good perks. Good fellow-employees. Good desks. Your first few months will be awesome. You'll never want to leave.

Cons

Management is awful. They can't manage their way out of a cardboard box. Some have even gone on record as saying "they hate fun". They will get you in by telling you about all the great perks and how their company lifestyle is. Everything will be sunshine and rainbows. They'll tell you to invent new things for them and "be innovative", then as soon as you give them gold, they kick you out the door because they got what they wanted out of you. The HR department will not protect you. You will never get your voice heard. Your ideas will be taken. You will be blindsided by stupidity. If you are smart and like being smart, don't work there. There are better companies out there who will embrace your abilities. They are a wolf in sheep's clothing.

I have no advice I want to share with upper management. You can't advice people like them, only stay away from them.

Content Writing -- boring for you, useless to others, except profiteering management

I have been working at Remilon

Pros

If you're trying to freelance as a writer, it's a line on your resume.

Cons

Poorly formulated guidelines; terrible ($10-12/hr) pay; slow and inconsistent editors; working for a company in the business of convincing (largely under-prepared) students to go into debt to attend for-profit colleges (and this business masquerades as one that cares about helping people, making it all the more hypocritical and disgusting.)

Senior Management Lacks Integrity

I have been working at Remilon

Pros

The home office is in lovely Mountain View, CA

Cons

I worked full-time in the Mountain View headquarters of Remilon for about four months. A few days after having my work verbally described by the company’s president as “perfect,” I was fired by this same person -- the President and co-founder -- with neither severance nor explanation.

In short: the senior leadership here lacks integrity – neither in-office nor remotely should any decent person engage in business with Remilon.

This is a content mill; I worked over 3 years as a contract writer and editor until I burned out.

I worked at Remilon as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can work from home or virtually anywhere you have a good Internet connection. Advancement can be rapid in the first few months after hiring. Although the pay is low it is better than the pay at most Internet content mills.

Cons

You are an independent contractor in name only – you work more like a W-2 employee, only with none of the benefits. (You pay your own payroll taxes and have no paid leave for illness, holidays or vacation). You are required to work 15-40 billable hours per week on a regular schedule, depending on how far you advance up the editorial ladder. Your work is over-edited if you are a writer and over-audited if you are an editor. Your productivity and performance is closely monitored and you are expected to account for every minute of your work time – time not assigned to a task on your tracking sheet when you log out of a work session is considered “break time” and is unpaid. The company refused to issue an accurate 1099 form, under-reporting my income to the IRS. (I reported the accurate amount from my own records.)

Either hire your writers and editors as regular employees with benefits or treat them as true independent contractors. Make sure your policies are supportive of your editors and writers, and not punitive.

Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Remilon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Young people believe that they can change the world ! Lol. But all they do are adapting to Google Search algorithm to get their pay show on top of the search.

Happy hour ( drinking ) every Fri at 4PM. Some food in the fridge.

Cons

Cheap pay, mainly just good for recent college graduation. High rate of turnover. Old technologies. Senior tech people don't know enough/don't have industrial experience.

If you can hangout/go to the bar with your co-workers several times/week, you are good to go. If you are not that kind of people, i am not so sure.

Extreme Favoritism, Underpaid and Undervalued

I worked at Remilon full-time

Pros

They hire directly out of college and especially in this economy it is nice to have a job with benefits. Middle management is often responsive to ideas and feedback.

Cons

Management is completely inaccesible. They throw around buzz words constantly like innovation, no red tape and collaboration but rarely follow through with any of their supposed company goals. They make you hate fridays because every few months they do a massive purging and fire people out of the blue.

Furthermore people are shamed for leaving for almost any reason (including family reasons, graduate school and jobs more in line with their interests). The pay is distinctly not competitive and they do no budge an inch when negotiating even when challenged with specific salary data.

They have ridiculous "bonus" schemes and expect an extreme amount of loyalty to a brand where employees don't have stock benefits or competitive salaries. Upper Management takes home an extreme amount of profits but does not share it with employees and exhibit EXTREME favoritism. Upper management does not seem to care about high turnover and extremely low morale. Any hint of looking at other jobs is met with extreme suspicion which makes for an anxious workplace.

Upper management needs to learn that just because they say they are "a start-up" does not make them one and neither does one drink fridge. A state-up should be a dynamic place to work where people do not feel pressured to do work in a bureaucratic way and want to be at work because they enjoy what they're doing.

Instead of just thinking that one "fun" activity a quarter is sufficient they should look at restructuring the company to make it transparent and encourage people to be hones without fear of retribution.

Remilon Photos