Remington Hotels Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.2
Monty Bennett

Pros
  • Nice people, nice work environment, covered parking; VERY QUIET OFFICE (in 2 reviews)

• Some hotels have free employee meals (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Very few women in positions above the property level (in 4 reviews)

• Extremely high turnover rate for management (in 3 reviews)

Acc

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Springs, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Springs, CA

I have been working at Remington Hotels full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Offers a lot of 0pportunity for advancement

Cons

compensation and benefits not competative

Student by morning, Front Desk Agent by night

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Stillwater, OK
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Stillwater, OK

I have been working at Remington Hotels part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Endless opportunities for advancement Huge industry Innovative company Fair compensation

Cons

Hard to work around my class schedule, but they make it work as best they can

Advice to Management

Great job. I love working for this company.

Front Office Manager

Pros

Good stepping stone, growing company

Cons

No work/life balance, corporate disconnect with property level.

Great company to own stock in, terrible to work for...

Former Employee - Former Food and Beverage Director in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Former Food and Beverage Director in Austin, TX

I worked at Remington Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free rooms around the country...if you knew the right people and weren't afraid to ask. Plenty of room for advancement...

Cons

...but only because the people with any real talent knew to leave creating opportunity. Echoing the sentiments of the former GM in Palm Springs, Remington is a company micromanaged to the point of near-insanity. The GM's feel immense pressure to meet the all-important Flow-Through number, yet to have any real chance to do so they must sacrifice their ability to provide the Department Heads the tools they need to do their jobs. In most cases the salaried employees make well-below industry standard and understand they are working for their bonuses at the end of the year which are tied directly to Flow-Through. Since it's very difficult to meet the Flow-Through number, most managers sacrifice properly running their department for cost-cutting measures which ultimately sabotage the business. The wage scale for hourly associates is at the absolute bottom of the industry. I worked for five permanent GM's during my tenure with Remington and had met several others. Three were truly good men who cared both about the business as well as the associates and were respected even when their decisions weren't agreed with. The amount of pressure they received to meet the company guidelines handcuffed them in their ability to do what needed to be done for their properties. Maneuvering around the politics associated with the good-old-boy-network both outside of their hotels as well as inside of them made life even tougher for everyone involved. If the GM's cannot get the support they need from Corporate they cannot provide you with decent wages or the tools you'd need to do your job, and who wishes to work for a company like that?

Advice to Management

Sharkey isn't the kind to listen to advice so I wouldn't presume to offer it to him. However, I would offer advice to you, the potential employee partner: If you're brand-new to the industry, either coming into it as an unskilled immigrant or as your first-job right out college, Remington is a great first gig. You'll be handled by salaried managers who are used to taking in people with zero experience and can guide you into the industry. Just expect to be paid something akin to a laughingly-bad wage and be ready to ask for advancement or be ready to walk when you get experience. If you're an existing salaried manager this would be a company you'd wish to work for only in a transitional capacity, which is to say it'll help you pay your rent while you look for a position that puts you back on your career path. As long as you walk into a partnership with Remington with your eyes open knowing what you'll get out of it you won't be disappointed, but disappointment is modus operandi for most of the associates within Remington who believe it's a company which can sustain their career or adequately feed their family.

Think twice

Pros

Complimentary meals, great for someone with no education to advance if they have a semi good head on their shoulders.

Cons

Poor compensation, long hours, no professional development or training, President is vengeful and non empathetic. Do not speak your mind or try give creative new ideas because if they are not the Presidents then the do not exist.

Advice to Management

Learn all you can, build that resume & then go to where your considered an integral part of the business & not just an employee.

Not the place to work if company culture is important to you

Former Employee - General Manager in Palm Springs, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Palm Springs, CA

I worked at Remington Hotels full-time

Pros

Remington has made an effort to develop talent and if you are a department head with aspirations of becoming a GM, it can happen pretty quickly. There is a lot of growth creating opportunity and so many people leaving for better companies that there are many holes to fill.

Cons

These are not nice people because they don't have to be. The president of the company, Mark Sharkey has a brilliant mind for the business but he is cold, manipulative and the ultimate micromanager. SVP's and DVP's have no power or authority, they only carry information to and from Mr. Sharkey. His behavior encourages and empowers other negative leaders. This is a very punitive environment, there is no trust and this is the least collaborative company I have worked for. Stress is a way of life, balance is laughed at; you constantly struggle to meet flow through demands and provide the basic tools for your associates to perform their jobs. It takes an inordinate amount of time to get anything done, from capital repairs to offer letters. There have only been a small number of corporate team members that are actually responsive and believe they exist to support those in the field. Wages were the lowest in each of the three hotels I ran. Turnover is extremely high. There are just so many reasons to work somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Don't just pay lip service to associate empowerment. Listen to your Associate Opinion Survey results and realize change is necessary at the corporate level not just spin and band aids by the team at the hotels. As the economy improves, you will lose more of your superstars as they have options. What will you be left with? Policies, procedures, flow-through and what is left of your teams.

Disappointing at best

I worked at Remington Hotels full-time

Pros

It was a job and a paycheck, the only pro I can think of was that I met some nice folks who are still my friends.

Cons

Theft, Politics and favoritism play a constant role in daily activities. Unrealistic expectations run rampant, yet manipulating the system is rewarded.

Sales and Catering Coordinator

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Remington Hotels (More than a year)

Pros

You get great hotel rates within the Hilton umbrella, which allows you to travel more often. You would also get local restaurant discounts because we provide business to them and vice versa

Cons

First off, this company barely has benefits that any full-time hourly employee could even afford. In the 2+ years I've worked here I have never received a raise (I was amongst the majority of hard-working employees that have been recognized, but not actually rewarded with motivating benefits). Secondly, this is a 24-hour business, so certain departments who work corporate hours versus others who work at night or overnight can get vindictive or expect you to work long hours. Because I was hourly, the company would try to work all of the salary employees twice as long and a friend of mine and I did the math on their salary, and they ended up taking a pay cut working salary rather than hourly. Management and human resources are unreliable. I only went to human resources once in 2+ years because my manager was constantly micromanaging and overcritical of my work and deliberately setting me up for failure and she did nothing. They value their managers way more than the employees which creates an extremely unmotivating environment to those who want to potentially move up when they feel like they have to bend to a manager's will. This company has a very cookie-cutter way of managing with absolutely no originality and no opportunity for new ideas and positive growth. Like a lot of people have stated, you are over-worked and under paid in this company. Anytime Remington buys another hotel to add to their portfolio, more than half the previous employees quit because they remove all of their benefits and cut their pay and then try to use employees from other surrounding hotels to send over and force them to work 2 jobs. Even one of the Presidents of the company would come to our hotel and rent out all of our ballroom space for his daughter and pay for only the cost of the materials, forcing us to lose potential clients that would have booked during that time and the cost of employees (typically cost around $80,000).

Advice to Management

It's not the management, it's the CEO's that let this happen and continue to happen. Very cutthroat company that will view you only as someone that's replaceable rather than an asset.

Audio Visual / Event Set - Up Banquet Manager

Current Employee - Audio/Visual Event Set - Up Banquet Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Audio/Visual Event Set - Up Banquet Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Remington Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to advance. Excellent health benefits and reduced hotel rates.

Cons

Always a skeleton crew. sometimes work 20 hours or more in a row. It's a 70 -80 hour work week often. Entry level pay is terrible and not competitive or even close to be considered a living wage. This results in very few applicants and employees choosing to find different jobs.

Advice to Management

Managers at the Executive level's top priority is guest survey scores. Guests can not be properly attended to without the proper amount of staff with experience and the required knowledge. The work culture is almost opposite of these needs.

Full time associate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Incredibly solid, fiscally responsible company that is growing smartly and rapidly. Awesome people to work with: hard working, fun personalities, goal oriented. Lots of opportunities to grow your career at Remington. Supervisors set clear expectations and you always know where you stand. One cannot ask for more than that!

Cons

None to share at this time.

RSS Feed </> Embed