Renaissance Learning Reviews

Jack Lynch

1. Great company

Former Employee - Technical Support Agent in Wisc Rapids, WI
    Former Employee - Technical Support Agent in Wisc Rapids, WI

I worked at Renaissance Learning part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are upcoming and growing, FAST. I belive in the product and how it helps learning. Lots of room for promotion.

Cons

Pay and raises are small. Office gossip is tiring.

Advice to Management

Stay out of the drama.

Leaves a lot to be desired...

Current Employee - Technical Support Agent in Wisc Rapids, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Support Agent in Wisc Rapids, WI

I have been working at Renaissance Learning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loyal customer base, Benefits offered, Fixed work schedule, no weekends

Cons

It is going from feeling like an individual making a difference in a home-grown company where promoting internally was status quo to feeling like a completely replaceable cog in the machine. Communication is very complicated. Nobody takes responsibility, it's always "so and so takes care of that so it's not my..." Changed hands twice in the last 5 years and heading the way of most corporate-owned business... away from people and migrating solely toward profit. Accrued PTO is extremely aggravating to plan vacations--especially since you're required to use PTO to cover sick time. Adopted new "Lean and Agile" approach with no communication to our customers. This means a CAR/TECH rep gets the brunt of the bugs and errors that are occurring when customers are used to the smooth use of our products. We are told not to talk about the new approach.

Advice to Management

PEOPLE BEFORE PROFIT! HIRE INTERNALLY (we already know the company!) Remove archaic PTO accrual system Your people are the only way you'll be able to support the products that are bringing in the money... without them you have nothing--please remember this. You're losing the vision that made this company great and instead it's being given a makeover to extract what profit can be and then it will be flipped again.

3. Great place to work

I have been working at Renaissance Learning full-time

Pros

- Challenging: you have to work hard to keep up - Talented colleagues: the people here are smart and truly care about the products they're building - Open: easy access to and frequent face time with senior leadership - Great cause: helping kids accelerate learning

Cons

- Communication with satellite offices isn't always great

Advice to Management

- More frequent performance feedback

sinking ship

I have been working at Renaissance Learning full-time

Pros

You work towards a good mission of helping students accelerate their learning. The company provides a number of paid holidays. There is some good brand recognition in the education market about our company.

Cons

The company has been bought out twice within the past five years. A number of people have left in 2014 and 2015. Management is currently hiring new people to replace people that were forced into retirement or who had their position eliminated. Communication is poor. Pay is not very competitive. There is also a lot of dysfunction of middle management. A number of managers have been there for nearly 20 years, while there are also a lot of newcomers. A lot of managers can't work cross departmentally with other managers well, leaving stress on direct reports. No career growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and compensate them competitively.

Too big for their own good....

Former Employee - Content Editor in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Content Editor in Madison, WI

I worked at Renaissance Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, good benefits, seemingly positive business outlook....

Cons

Very bureaucratic, veteran employees have tenure-like status, struggling to shrug off outdated and ineffective business systems and practices.

Advice to Management

Utilize better systems and/or programs to organize teams and product content.

7. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Renaissance Learning

Pros

People are very smart and talented here. Making progress with them and working together with them is a amazing experience. Everyone is busy everyday, but they teach you stuff that you don't know about without losing patience. WFH is pretty often since most of the employees are scattered around the world. The office is great and you get to request items you need.

Cons

Lots of meeting. Sometimes I spend most of my day in the meeting and have to multitasking or I will have to bring work home, which is the least thing I would like to do.

Advice to Management

Try to keep the meeting efficient. Sometimes the meeting is just too long and people losing their focus during it. Maybe hire experienced scrum master would help.

8. Limited time with the company but very rewarding.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Wisconsin Rapids, WI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Wisconsin Rapids, WI

I have been working at Renaissance Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company values, industry leading products and services.

Cons

Numerous product updates to keep up with.

Advice to Management

More product training.

Promotions from within

Current Employee - Assistant in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Renaissance Learning

Pros

Renaissance provided a stable and friendly work atmosphere. They were fair to their employees and have a good benefits package.

Cons

Renaissance did not make it a practice to promote from within. If a position came open they generally hired outside the company. I saw many people leave because they wanted to further their career; not because they disliked the company.

Advice to Management

It would help if you promoted from within. Let your good, solid employees grow in the company. The better employees will eventually leave if they lack growth opportunity.

End of 2014 Status

I have been working at Renaissance Learning full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The mission of the company is sound and they do attempt to live up to it.

Cons

The work life balance has swung in the wrong direction and shows no signs of changing.

Company dedicated to continued child-education development, but makes some missteps along the way

Former Employee - Quality Assurance
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance

I worked at Renaissance Learning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ R&D had a more laid back atmosphere + Transition to smaller development teams allowed for better communication/interpersonal relationships + Good benefits and 401k matching + QA is a paid hourly and there are opportunities to receive overtime pay

Cons

- Company is too finance-focused, and looks more at the bottom line than employee satisfaction - Quality Assurance is lumped in with Engineering and, as such, gets the same treatment MINUS the actual engineering-level pay - And on that note: even Engineering doesn't feel like it is paid properly either - Never felt like I could really improve/go beyond my abilities - Promotion opportunities were NOT prevalent while being there for 3 years - Absolute struggle in the attempts at going to Agile--some teams were more effective than others, causing more issues than improvements overall to the software

Advice to Management

Focus more on the people who work there, NOT the bottom line Provide more opportunities to employees to develop new or improve existing skills--I think the small cost of improvement would greatly increase the caliber of workers

RSS Feed </> Embed