RenewData

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

JIM BLAYNEY

Fast paced environment, where everyone is a problem solver. Very committed to duties.

ProsThey have a very good relationship with themselves and even a new staff. Pay is good

ConsWork is so enormous. Too much work to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Don't waste your time...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThis company hit its peak restoring data from tape.

ConsIf you're looking for a job in e-discovery, you've hit the bottom of the barrel. You may be wooed by the above average compensation package they're offering and the promise that you'll have an opportunity to make a difference - in fact, you'll be working so many hours a week that your salary will start looking more like minimum wage and that "difference" they promised you could make is all about fixing their broken tools and processes.

This company won't spend money on core functions and they won't fix their broken work order system. They favor wasting millions on a fantasy move to a new facility only to realize they screwed up estimating the cost of relocating their data center and didn't plan for continuous service by acquiring parallel systems to stand up and migrate. Or, my favorite, millions wasted on contract developers for failed tools like "Libreeze" or "Anagram".

RDC attempts to differentiate their "predictive coding" tool from the rest of the industry through marketing. It's not even "predictive coding" - the "Vestigate"/"D.A.R.T."/whatever they're calling it now technology is a simple tool that builds a Boolean out of highlighted text. The product is a mess, leaving clients and attorneys with overlapping work product they can't make any sense out of. Of course RDC offers a solution for that, you can hire their overpaid and incompetent "consultants" to sift through the "computer aided review" work product to tell you what to produce. Just don't be surprised when you find out you've produced stuff you shouldn't have and didn't produce stuff you needed to.

If you decide to work with RDC, expect a lot of frustration, rework, and long hours. Also, be sure to use your vacation time while you're employed because they definitely won't be paying that out to you when you leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to retire.

Great place to work. Strong executive team.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people, good software, strong name recognition in the marketplace.

ConsIt would be better if RDC were located in a major US city.

Advice to Senior ManagementRDC has made good changes over the past two years. Keep it up.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't believe the positive reviews

Too Many to List (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsMost employees here are good people. Nothing about management is positive. If you are talented at sucking up, you can go especially far here.

ConsUpper management, especially HR, cannot be trusted. With anything. At anytime. Want to know what disease your co-worker has? Just hang out with HR a little and they will spill all. Want to know when the next round of lay-offs are coming. (Because they are coming) Just hang out with HR. Obviously, management became aware of this site May 2013, because the fake posts started about that time. This company does not care about you or your future, only about how they can squeeze the most out of you today in order to dump you tomorrow. If you inverview with them, ask how many past employees they have had in their short past. Ask why all of the founders were forced out. Ask about why the big office relocation to south Austin failed. i've never worked for a company where management has blatenetly lied, repeatedly, to the employees like this company has. Also, can't comment on new CEO, but given the company history, he won't be there long.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit lying. Quit gossiping. Rate people on performance, not on personality

Also, learn to lead, not just CYA.

Great Place to Work with Great Professional Development

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI worked at RenewData for almost 2 yrs and it was one of the best job experiences I have had in my professional career. I was fortunate to work amongst highly intelligent, driven, customer oriented individuals. I've worked at Dell and Apple, and I have to say, that the CEO Jim Blayney is by far the best CEO I've worked for, and he believed that we worked With him and not for him and exhibited this every day through his leadership. The people I met at RenewData take thinking outside of the box and making things happen to a new level. They also heavily promote from within, which you don't see at most companies. They are very big on professional development, so much so, that other companies will come calling. It was very hard to leave RenewData, and if the opportunity arose for the right situation I would happily go back.

ConsI really don't have anything negative to say about RenewData. They provided an environment for me to excel at what I did and also learn and grow my skillset at the same time, I will be forever grateful for the opportunity to have worked with such a great team.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek out those employees that are not as direct and curious as I was, to come to you and discuss process changes. They have ideas too, but are not always as forth right as someone like me.

Great Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsRenewData has a great management team in place. All members have an open door policy and take employee suggestions seriously. The people that make up the RenewData family are amazing, the chances of finding a better group of people in any organization would be slim. Employees are extremely dedicated to achieving success and pleasing our clients.

ConsThe company is not for individuals who want a job that requires 40 hours a week. RenewData is a service provider. The industry we are in requires us to be available before and after hours as well as on weekends. However, this should not be a surprise to anyone who is interviewing or is a current employee. The RenewData team is very open and honest about the industry expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue letting your employees know that they are valued and appreciated.
    Keep evolving the "fun" culture that we currently have.
    Continue promoting career growth within the organization.

Interesting company with unique start-up challenges

ProsThe coolest thing about RenewData is that it's still a pretty new company in a very new industry, so we're helping to drive the way the industry will grow. It's an opportunity to work with big data in a small company. We recently released a new service line that will potentially change the industry. They try to hire people from within when possible, so there are advancement opportunities for someone moving up in their career. The benefits are very good compared to other companies in the area, and pay seems to be in line with or better than other companies. There is good leadership from the senior level staff to help steer the growth of the organization.

ConsIt's a lot of work. Don't come in thinking any job is brain-free, 9-5 work. This isn't really a "con" unless you're looking for that kind of job where you're not noticed and you just clock in to collect a paycheck. Also, the work systems and processes aren't strealined or documented well, so it's a lot of learning as you go and helping to make processes better. For a 12 year old company, it's still very much a start up environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure to make your employees feel valued knowing that you're asking a lot of them.

Descent place to work in Austin

Vice President (Former Employee) Austin, TX

Pros- Management team is motivated to grow the company
    - It would be a challenge to find a better group of people to work with
    - Everyone is incredibly dedicated to getting the job done
    - Great place to gain experience around data and information management
    - There are double digit numbers of team members that have been around over 5 years

Cons- There has been some management changeover, but that typically happens when a company is growing and the required skills in each of those positions change.
    - The legal services industry comes with a great deal of pressure that is evident in any company in this space.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to look out for the team and make sure everyone has career growth objectives that are being met. Austin is becoming an affordable hub for companies to do business in,make sure you are taking care of your team both financially, emotionally and with perks along the way and you will have a solid team for years to come!

Fun and challenging workplace

Software Engineer IV (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsVery good work-life balance, interesting and challenging work in a self paced agile and some what laid-back environment.

ConsJust like in any busyness that was around for years, the development environment is scattered and involve too many different technologies. I think some time should be spent on simplifying and organizing it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep staying focused on current busyness.

Do not walk but run from this company!

Ediscovery (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsPay is decent that is about it

ConsLayoffs every Spring every year
    Morale is very low
    They feel micromanaging will get better results from employees
    Everyone is overworked because they refuse to hire any help to save money

Advice to Senior ManagementMorale is very low here. Everyone is walking around like zombies because we don't know when or if we are getting chopped or we are just plain exhausted from the completely unreasonable amount of overtime hours we work. You refuse to hire anyone and the entire company is understaffed because you are trying to save money. Sometimes we go weeks on end without a day off. Mostly we are unhappy because we are all overworked and constantly micro managed. The problem lies with lower to mid level management. They don't care or listen to employees needs are even though they say they have an open door policy. They will listen but that is where it ends your take it or you can leave attitude from lower to mid management is what is driving all of your seasoned veteran employees like myself away. There is a reason you only have a few employees over 5 years there. My advice to upper management is to start with your lower management and work up from there. Maybe the problem is with the lower management and not your employees. The constant micro managing and complete disregard for change to anything whether it be a process or procedure or a different work schedule is the reason this company is in the dump. Your lower level managers don't care about our well being or life or us as a person in general. Its always a what have you done for me lately mentality.

Worked for RenewData? Contribute to the Community!