Renown Health

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim Miller

A place for people to do work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Reno, NV

ProsYou will meet some excellent people working for Renown but depending in which department you work in you may never get to know them as some departments are busier than others. As everyone needs healthcare and the implementation of the Health Care Reform law took (and takes place), more work will be available in this field.

ConsOffice culture is one in which you do not want to engage in. There exist a lot of office politics and if you fall into a situation into which you are deemed a bad apple your chances for a transfer and or promotion will be hindered. Being deemed a bad apple may not even be a grave issue in the sense that you are causing problems but if you express an opinion that is not satisfactory, contradicts, or calls into question decisions, methods, and, or, is not to the liking of your immediate supervisor(s) you will be seen as a bad employee. At the location at which I worked management asked or suggestions but rarely took action to resolve ongoing issues. In the long run this caused low morale and management feigned ignorance (or perhaps is was genuine) as to why this was the case. It takes about a year in order for a new employee to understand that there is something rotten in Denmark.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf feedback is asked for in order to make Renown a great place for great people to do great work, then said feedback should be considered and taken seriously. Company values and rules should be applicable to all employees including management, and management should lead by example.

Great people who provide the best patient care

Clinical Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Reno, NV

ProsCompetitive salaries, benefits and room for professional growth

ConsThe bad publicity that Renown sometimes recieves

Advice to Senior ManagementI loved working closely with my Management team

Awful place to work

Administration (Former Employee) Reno, NV

ProsYou get your pay check

ConsVery dishonest company claims to be about the community but is about making bonus. Nurses are understaffed under supplied and patients lives are at risk due to this. They staff critical care units with graduate nurses with zero experience to save money so managers can make bonus, once again putting patients lives at risk

Advice to Senior ManagementQuite worrying about your bonus and worry about your patients. Renown quit lying to the community that you are here for us and be honest that you are there to make money.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Renown needs to realize that their largest asset is their employees.

Accounting Department (Former Employee) Reno, NV

ProsGood for recent grads to get a year or two of work experience on their resumes.
    Good work/life balance. As one of the largest employers in Reno, there is opportunity for upward mobility within the organization.

ConsExtremely high turnover, especially in the Accounting department. No focus on employee well-being or development. The organization's espoused values are inconsistent with the actual culture.

Great place to work for.

Applications Specialist III (Current Employee) Reno, NV

ProsGood Money and Benifets. Great people to work with.

ConsNone that I can think Of

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain good people and keep up what you are doing

Great company foundation, but management issues

Human Resources-Benefits (Former Employee) Reno, NV

ProsTransitioning to transformational health care philosophy; pay, benefits and employee rewards system are excellent; large enough for growth opportunities

ConsJob description did not reflect actual duties; manager wasn't truly managing and staff was taking advantage of that; excessive meetings. Management is changing so hopefully some of the cultural issues will as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe present in your department and have an open door policy. Do not assign someone to train a new employee that wants the job being trained (i.e. someone with less pay, position and more tenure) or maybe consider within first. Know if the job description actually fits the duties that are being performed and have a training plan that meets the needs of what you want in that position and by when.

Good people, doing good work

Recruiter (Current Employee) Reno, NV

Proshospital, medical environment, growth environment, encourages people to grow and learn

Consthe 401k benefit is not competitive, also you have to wait 90 days for benefits to kick in, which is hard on employees or people changing jobs

Dissapointing

ProsIt is better than collecting unemployment

ConsVery poor pay, arrogant upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive better pay to good people. Fire entire IT department and pay a good wage to get qualified people who understand customer service.

Progressive organization with strong senior leadership and an exceptional ambulatory strategy.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat culture solidly permeated throughout the orgnaization. Strong employee recognition programs. Very focused on patient satisfaction and employee engagement.

ConsPrior expansion has resulted in financial challenges in a very high unemployment market (big increase in self pay).

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to make the tough decisions necessary to survive the current economic environment.

Worked for Renown Health? Contribute to the Community!