Renown Regional Medical Center

Updated November 15, 2014
1.8

CEO

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Politics more important than patient care

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I worked at Renown Regional Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The second floor shops came in handy especially with the ability to charge the purchases

Cons

"It's not what you know; it's who you know." That can be helpful if you are looking for a job; but if you are attempting to hold on to the one you've got and someone would like to put a feather in their harassment cap it can be a horrible place to work. The leadership that existed in 2012 encouraged bullying techniques including abusive behavior. HR in particular aligned with their favorite leaders and allowed intolerable behavior to take place during job reviews. The politics in general allowed things to occur like making the gardens off limits to employees even though it was the employees contributions that brought these gardens into existence.

Appreciate your caregivers. They are the foundation of your organization and Renown is only as good as the care the patients recieve. Everything else is unimportant.

No amount of money will ever bring me back to working at this hospital.

Former Employee - Patient Access Representative II, Financial Counselor in Reno, NV

I worked at Renown Regional Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

nice facility with great services

Cons

Bullying and corruptness within management, senior leadership, HR. Money is the root of all evil and it consumes this hospital.

Management and senior leadership. I worked at Renown prior to the name change and during the entire transition from Washoe to Renown, up until 2012. In my role as patient access/financial counseling, my job was to assist those patients who had difficulty paying their bills and helping them find assistance in alleviating that stress. However, after the name change that quickly changed and money became more of a focus. They encouraged us to share our opinions on what could help us as a department to meet our "monthly goal" in collections. Myself as well as a few other employees (who were also long time employees before new management came in) stated that there were situations that weren't exactly compassionate when entering a patients room to collect money for their stay, especially in ICU and areas that patients were on comfort care, etc. Because these managers didn't like those opinions, we were transferred out of a department and a position we had been in for years. For someone like me who once loved her job and looked forward to going to work, the bullying and harassment from asinine racial allegations (of which I'm married to that race I was accused of ) from a disgruntled former coworker, to the eminent bulls eye I placed on my back the moment I stated that it wasn't right for me to go into a room of someone who is dying to get their copay.

You should consider what your pee-ones have to say, they are the backbone of the company and anytime a former employee claims bullying, you should look into it a bit deeper rather than siding with HR and lower management (the ones who are the problem). You'd realize you lost some great, loyal employees who loved their jobs and wanted to make it better.

Leadership problems abundant!

Former Employee - Mid-level Human Resources in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Mid-level Human Resources in Reno, NV

I worked at Renown Regional Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice campus and numerous facilities.

Cons

Actual treatment of employees does not support Renown's stated vision, mission, and especially values. Many senior managers achieve their positions without any prior management experience or education, which negatively affects their subordinates' performance and job satisfaction. Many mid-to-upper level management hires are made without applicants meeting the minimum requirements for their jobs. Executives look out for each others' career advancement rather than focusing on patient care, problem solving, and employee retention; Toxic management culture exists in Operations, HR, Finance, Admin, Nursing. Bullying runs rampant in the HR and Finance Departments due to poor executive oversight and metrics, and permeates the organization like a disease.

Executive staff needs to be more visible to employees by getting out of their remote offices weekly and walking the floors, greeting employees, and listening to front-line managers, supervisors,and patients. Employee satisfaction surveys shouldn't come only from overused Gallup surveys. "Leadership" is a term that can only be bestowed by subordinates upon management who display leadership. Executive staff merely calling themselves "Leadership" doesn't make them leaders. Replace the current heads of Operations, Finance, HR, Admin, and Nursing with leaders that don't accept bullying, develop their subordinates, and lead by example.

Not a great experience

Current Employee - Staff RN in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Reno, NV

I have been working at Renown Regional Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Okay work experience for a new grad.

Cons

No support from management or most coworkers.
    Management has no regard/ appreciation for its employees.
    The atmosphere is tense and negative

Retire and get new, caring, positive people working there

Nursing Supervisor

Former Employee - Nursing Supervisor in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Nursing Supervisor in Reno, NV

I worked at Renown Regional Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The nursing staff was truly a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Management is absolutely abysmal. 27 year old as Nurse managers and a 30 year old as a director. They regularly go over the patient to staff matrix and communication is non-existent

They need a complete reboot, the Supervisors and Managers don't even know there own policies and procedures.

Loved the organization... Discouraged by the pay

Former Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Reno, NV

I worked at Renown Regional Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was really impressed with the new employee on boarding process. They are very welcoming and have well executed employee training process. My co-workers were fantastic to work with.

Cons

The pay was not commensurate with the patient load. The excessive patient load did not allow me to provide the level of care I would have preferred to.

Could be Better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I worked at Renown Regional Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers were great people, liked my supervisor, and decent benefits.

Cons

Long hours, understaffed, lunch and breaks under emphasized and sometimes non existent, micromanaging senior leader and poor communication.

Provide adequate staffing for patient flow, praise your employees and reward them, realize we do have lives outside of our position.

So glad I left...

Current Employee - Analyst in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Analyst in Reno, NV

I have been working at Renown Regional Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

decent pay and good benefits

Cons

Leadership could care less about the employees or patients. They are completely oblivious to the collapse of the hospital. Employees are expected to be nothing more than drones and not allowed to have opinions that might actually lead to imporvement. I was told "You are just staff, you do as you're told". They will fire or force out anyone who has an opinion or any good employee who outshines leadership.

They need to fire everyone in a senior leadership role and start over. Learn to appreciate your staff and start listening to them. There is a reason only the bad employees last long term.

Renown truly is a place for great people to do great work

Current Employee - Respiratory Care Practitioner in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Respiratory Care Practitioner in Reno, NV

I have been working at Renown Regional Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing department management who truly care about your success and really listen to you.

Write your own schedule (for the most part)

Exceptional coworkers who are always willing and able to help each other out

Protocols based on Best Practices provide a high level of professional autonomy

Willing to hire new grads and invest heavily in your professional development and skills

Very responsive and proactive HR staff

Cons

Often short staffed

Employees must pay for parking passes

Huge campus, with workloads that are often spread out over very large distances

Company won't cover your certifications/credentials if they are expired

Look at employee's mistakes as opportunities to teach without utilizing formal write ups. Save those for those instances where misconduct is willful.

Hire more people!

Very goal orientated, medium sized hospital, friendly staff

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Reno, NV

I worked at Renown Regional Medical Center part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Staff is very friendly (other than supervisors). Flexible work hours and good benefits. Benefits start after 90 days. ER is small and easy to navigate through.

Cons

ER is too small for this size of a city. Communication and planning between floors/towers can sometimes not suffice.